Liminal RPG. Anyone know anything about it?

raistlin33

Validated User
I am considering buying it. Problem is the setting and premise resembles a lot Dresden Files Accelerated.
Can anyone who have already read the PDF if the game has enough qualities on its own to justify purchasing it, please?

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
I am considering buying it. Problem is the setting and premise resembles a lot Dresden Files Accelerated.
Can anyone who have already read the PDF if the game has enough qualities on its own to justify purchasing it, please?
Well, the system is much more traditional, which can be a boon or curse depending on your tastes.

The setting material itself is mostly more subdued than the kind of gonzo Dresdenverse. (Though Liminal, too, has some very big players about that you can bring to the table if you're so inclined, mostly the flavour is more down to earth.) The tone is more "things that go bump in the night" than the supernatural hunt with detective work that Dresdenverse defaults to. There's also, I feel, a bit more emphasis on mortals with some access and/or knowledge of the mystical (Dresdenverse wizards are powerful enough that they feel more like a class of supernatural being than mortal) as well in Liminal.

But other than the system, it's more a matter of tonal differences than something radically different. The fae have a different spin on the concept, as do the vampires and werewolves and spirit world, but it has a lot of similar elements, just interpreted differently. Personally I think I'd prefer Liminal at this point for the table, if for no other reason that because it's more subtle tone should make it slightly easier to avoid the ever-present masquerade problem with urban fantasy.

Personally, I'd recommend the game even if you have Dresden Files, but I'm something of an RPG collector who likes reading new settings and systems, so your mileage may well vary. As such, the above is an absent-context treatment of the differences as I see them, but to give a more concrete answer I'd need more info on your needs, preferences and even whether the investment in the game would be a serious one or something more in the way of disposable income.

dr_mitch

Maths Sensei
Validated User
I've also released the first of the Case Notes (for a dollar):
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/267364/Prodigal-Son

Those who backed and preordered with stretch goals in PDF should already have it. The plan is eventually to assemble the individual case notes into a book, but I'm also releasing them individually. There will be a second one, linked to this, very soon, and of course more to come.

Top Bottom