• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Little rules you misread that really screwed up the game

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
I recently had an experience that I'm sure others have also had and I would like to hear people's similar stories. Specifically, when you've misread a rule or just missed a rule entirely so that the game became unplayable or played radically different than intended.

My spouse and I were playing the Dresden Files Cooperative Card game for the first time and we were just getting destroyed. I was pulling my hair out, trying to figure out how the game was even winnable if we had played perfectly and we were playing the first Scenario on Easy. In three games the best we did was a tie (Cases solved versus Remaining Foes), which is still a loss. I almost threw the game out (or more likely onto a high shelf to never be played again), but I decided to reread the rules because I had heard good things about it here and I know Evil Hat usually makes decent games. That's when I realized that you get the total Fate value back when you discard a card, not a single point and suddenly the game made sense.

I am sure I have done this with other games, since I seem to recall a time where we had a new player that had played somewhere else, and they asked, "why are you doing X like that?" and we all realized we had been playing wrong for months, but I can't remember the game.

GabrielK

No puppet! No puppet!
Validated User
A long, long time ago back when Car Wars was still new, a friend of mine had saved up his allowance money and bought a copy of the game. We eagerly opened the box, read the rules (ok, skimmed the rules), and set up what we expected to be a quick little skirmish. The game took quite a bit longer than we expected.

It wasn't until a couple of weeks later, I think, after re-reading the rules that we realized we were doing damage completely incorrectly. On the weapons chart, the number listed for each weapon was supposed to indicate the number of dice you rolled. We were simply reading it as the actual amount of damage inflicted.

So in our first game, machine guns only did a single point of damage rather than a d6 of damage. The big heavy hitters like lasers doing 3 points of damage was not as impressive as it would otherwise have been.

When we realized our error, we had a good laugh, then started playing the game properly and had a lot more fun.

Marc A. Vezina

Lapsed Industry Veteran
Validated User
Way back in the 80s, when I was still a lad, I bought the Battletech boxed set because, duh, giant robots. We set up for that first game and got completely owned by my friend in his Shadow Hawk.

Turns out we thought heat was the sole moderating factor in weapon fire. Shoot as many times as you want. Works well when you have an autocannon that generates only 1 point of heat! I think he ran out of ammo around the third turn or something.

(Made for a quick game, though, and it really balanced the huge mass of the A/C.)

SibKhatru

Validated User
I think our goof relates to an early game of Arkham Horror. The FFG rules to that game were a beautiful mess. We really misread the way one could kill the Old One... we felt it was best to leave gates open and bring it on, and then win... but by game 4, with a careful re-reading, I discovered our mistake... oof!

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
I remembered the other time. In Settlers of Catan, we had played forever that when you were placing your initial settlements you had to roll and then place a settlement next to the number you had rolled. If you rolled a seven you had to be next to the dessert or an ocean tile with no ports. I don't know if that was a house rule from the people we first played it with or something we made up, but for years we thought that was the right way to start the game. Honestly, I still prefer it. You got all sorts of interesting starting positions that people wouldn't have taken if they hadn't had to place next to a 4.

JamesG

Validated User
I remembered the other time. In Settlers of Catan, we had played forever that when you were placing your initial settlements you had to roll and then place a settlement next to the number you had rolled. If you rolled a seven you had to be next to the dessert or an ocean tile with no ports. I don't know if that was a house rule from the people we first played it with or something we made up, but for years we thought that was the right way to start the game. Honestly, I still prefer it. You got all sorts of interesting starting positions that people wouldn't have taken if they hadn't had to place next to a 4.
Given how an inexperienced player can be disadvantaged by poor initial placement, that be balancing introducing new players.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
In L'art de la Guerre when a unit is shot by ranged weapons you do an opposing dice role. Among other modifiers the defender gets a bonus for their base protection value and for infantry a bonus if they have any armour. However cavalry have their armour built into their protection value. If you don't spot this with a heavily armoured knight or cataracts they'll end up with such a huge bonus they're almost invincible.

Wemmblyhogg

Conducting Science!
Validated User
In the early days of Gloomhaven's release, it seemed like 90% of the 'this game is too hard' threads that appeared on the BGG forum were from people that had missed the rule that you could lose a card to cancel all damage from one source.

From personal experience, I know there have been loads, but the details escape me at the moment. I do recall not realising that in Forge War, the quest markers start on the first spot, then move immediately. We had them move onto the first spot with the first advancement, which made the game move way slower.

Gyrfalcon

They said I was mad, MAD!
Validated User
In my first game of Pandemic, the player teaching us the rules thought the Infection rate meant not "draw X City cards, place one cube on each" but instead "draw 1 City card, place X cubes on it".

It took me until after the first end-of-turn phase at an Infection rate of 4 to ask for a rules check. :eek:

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
We played our first game of Trickerion and we found it awfully difficult to gather the components for our tricks and put on shows. I think it wasn't until the third or fourth turn of the game before anyone performed, and we wondered how the hell this game justified the size of its scoring track.

We played it again recently and realized whoever had taught it to us left out the fact that you start with a trick and components at the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom