• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Little things that turn you off settings?

CharonsLittleHelper

Validated User
Space settings where every planet has 1G, either due to fiat or super tech, even if the rest of the technology is nowhere near that.
I will say - that's fine if there is other gravity based tech around. If it makes sense that the tech is available - it seems like it could be a pretty important part of terraforming.

Last edited:

Bankuei

Master of Folding Chair
Validated User
"Here's this whole new fantasy world - we'll describe 10,000 years of history but tell you nothing directly about the culture, political structure, or values - just assume it's fake fantasy European feudalism".

While I totally get that many games work better with referencing common touchstones for play... if you're going to throw a huge setting at me, and tell me it's a whole world, I'd venture the cultures might have a few different or at least one standout value that is different than this assumption? What's socially acceptable/not acceptable? What counts as praise or an insult? What hypocrisies do the people accept, sorta-tolerate, or never let slide?

- Chris

Broken Twin

Validated User
Technological stasis is my biggest beef with most settings. And the argument that magic replaces technology doesn't make sense when the understanding of magic never evolves either.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Technological stasis is my biggest beef with most settings. And the argument that magic replaces technology doesn't make sense when the understanding of magic never evolves either.
Magic seems to devolve most of the time. Even outside D&D, there are a lot of settings where all the really good magical stuff is from 1,000 years ago.

Dagor

Validated User
Magic seems to devolve most of the time. Even outside D&D, there are a lot of settings where all the really good magical stuff is from 1,000 years ago.
Well, yeah. Fantasy classically (not always, but the tendency is definitely there) likes to look back wistfully at the Good Old Days When Everything Was Bigger (TM). Want a setting in which the modern stuff -- magic potentially included -- is actually legitimately more impressive than the sticks and stones your ancestors used to bang together? Eh, I guess you'll just have better luck with the right parts of the science fiction shelf. ;)

Mondo231

Banned
Sci fi setting have lost me because they all seem to have the same flaw: no government presence. spaceships come and go like cars. No flight plans, port inspections, safety standards, custom duties, import/export taxes, no questions why the blazes six nobodies are arriving in a spaceship...nothing. Even for armed ships. Can you imagine what would happen today if an armed yacht or trawler chugged into San Francisco or New York?

I'm not looking to bog down a game, but it would seem to me that these are challenges which can be used against the PCs; after all, how can you be a smuggler if no one is enforcing the laws that cause smuggling to appear?

Pilgrim

Strength Protocol
Validated User
  • Spelling and editing errors. If you want me to pay, please don't look like amateur hour.
  • Serious mismatch between system, stated tone and adventure ideas. Camelot Cosmos, I'm looking at you (Arthurian Sci-Fantasy with dungeon crawls. Sigh). And way too many *World settings.
  • Lack of a handle on how to use the setting.

Scurrilous

Validated User
Space settings where every planet has 1G, either due to fiat or super tech, even if the rest of the technology is nowhere near that.
Of course, if space travel is fast enough 1g races will select 1g worlds or as close to it as possible. Not in Traveller where travel is slow enough that they settle any world with a decent temperature range but in Star Wars, where they can cross the galaxy in hours, it makes sense to pick the most habitable worlds.

Ark

OrangeBlue
Validated User
It's medieval so everything is dirty and brown and grey and totally gritty FOR TEH REALISMZ!!!

Heavens, that annoys me so much.

Top Bottom