• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LoEG] How could an 'All Fiction Is True Earth' actually work?

Malkavian87

Validated User
Since I read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series last year I've been fascinated with the idea of using all existing fiction to create one vibrant setting. Although LoEG isn't actually like that. Alan Moore still picks and chooses what he'll use and to what extent. But what if you wanted to really try to include everything into a single setting? What would the world look like, need to look like, if every piece of fiction (be it movies, books, legends, TV series, comics, games,...) was somehow real?
I might turn it into some kind of world-building project. But at the moment I'm just exploring the idea for fun.

I already got some ideas:

-The first thing I came up with is that the Earth would need to be a bit bigger. Cause you would need extra room for all those fictional nations, regions, islands, towns and landmarks.
-Major cities, the USA and the world as a whole is constantly faced with huge catastrophes that might destroy it. Fortunately there are plenty of heroes (super and otherwise) available to save the day.
-Fiction that has a limited or mundane scope can be easily included. In other cases the scope would need to lessened a bit. The Walking Dead for instance is about a period of just a couple of years when society collapsed in just a part of the US. Rick's group is just so clueless that they can't their way out of that area.
-Same thing would be true for fictional nuclear wars, those need to be lessened in scope as well. Nukes might go off somewhere in the world on an almost daily basis. But most don't do much damage when humanity has an army of superhumans watching over it. Still there would be plenty of irradiated wastelands out there, spawning grounds for mutated monsters.
-Also fiction is only real on the present Earth to the extent it has a connection to present day Earth. We don't need to worry about Star Trek, that will happen in the far future. Star Wars happened in a distant galaxy. Middle Earth was just a period in our prehistory. Westeros is somewhere out there in the Multiverse.
-As for the fact that you'd have many versions of the same character (Dracula, mythological gods): Sometimes it is the same supernatural entity that has adopted a different guise. Other times it is an imitator who has taken the same name. If that doesn't work an alternate version coming from another part of the Multiverse.

What are your thoughts?

chrono117

Validated User
Sometimes I stare at the stuffed bookshelves in the Mystery/Thriller sections of my local bookstore and wonder about how awful it would be to live in a world where all those serial killers existed at the same time.

Brawndo

Murder Time Fun Time!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sometimes I stare at the stuffed bookshelves in the Mystery/Thriller sections of my local bookstore and wonder about how awful it would be to live in a world where all those serial killers existed at the same time.
It would be similar to a TV show like Dexter or Hannibal, where serial murders account for roughly 94% of all deaths. Only more so.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
Don't forget that if all fiction is true than multi-universal theory is correct and there are ways to move from universe to another so that can be used to shrink the world back down a bit.

DoctorDogGirl

Banned
It would be similar to a TV show like Dexter or Hannibal, where serial murders account for roughly 94% of all deaths. Only more so.
Though if it's following the League's rules, it's not so much there's 400 serial killers so much as there's 40 with multiple names.

Like his Aleister Crowley analogue is every Aleister Crowley analogue in fiction.

In Fictionland, you wouldn't have Jason Voorhees, Leatherface, and Michael Myers probably.

You'd have Jason Voorhees falling out of a boat, spending a decade in an institution watched by Doctor Loomis, and then escaping only to get adopted by a bunch of cannibal hillbillies who are also the family from House of 1,000 Corpses and The Hills Have Eyes.

Last edited:

Malkavian87

Validated User
The UN would be very interesting. With alien, Hollow Earth, alternate universe diplomats and liaisons to the fairy and vampire people...

Don't forget that if all fiction is true than multi-universal theory is correct and there are ways to move from universe to another so that can be used to shrink the world back down a bit.
But where's the fun in that? ;) Lets embrace the chaos, only use the multiverse solution when there is absolutely no other way to fit it in. Or it would just be retreading what the Marvel and DC universes are already like.

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
When they turn 11 aspiring serial killers are whisked off to Murder-Hogwarts. There they learn to master their serial killer abilities (precognition, teleportation, super speed) and learn the craft of serial killing (how to stage a body, developping a signature gimmick, how to leave cryptic clues and for the advance students bullshit philosophical reasoning)

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Unless the multiple unearths thing isn't fiction, then it might not matter in the setting. Also, perhaps all the fiction-esque is too busy fighting secret wars with each to have any overt affect on the world, so looks like our world on the surface but is very different behind doors.

Malkavian87

Validated User
In this case they would be canceled out by all the vigilantes out there, many armed with superscience or supernatural powers.

Top Bottom