• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

London gaming etiquette

stephen_dean

Validated User
I have been living in London since September, and all my gaming experience was in the United States, specifically in Maine, generally in a house of a friend, and usually with people I either grew up with or met through gaming. I want to join a game, or hopefully more than one, but a look at RPG.net and the powers of google show that most are guilds or groups that seem well established. I can walk into a pub or concert, a classroom or an event and I can hold my own. Fanboys and Geeks are like sharks in the water however, if you do not know the conventions. Specifically, British culture, gaming etiquette and all that. So my questions is gaming etiquette the same worldwide, or differ on location, and do you all have any advice on how to approach a new group as a yankee pigdog.

SJE

Bibliomancer
Validated User
Well I got on fine when I first moved to London by turning up at the clubs, asking around about new games, chatting with people before their games began (since its bad etiquette to interrupt games for long periods of time) and even briefly joining a LARP to make some more contacts.

This might help -

http://www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk/index.php/topic,1143.0.html

A list I made a while ago about the different London gaming clubs I'd heard about. I've played at quite a few of the central clubs, so can give you some reviews on the pro's and cons. Essentially it comes down to where in London you want to game and on which nights you are free.

One other etiquette tip (probably universal) - never tell people about your previous characters history. I they are nodding and seem interested then they are just being polite and feigning interest while secretly wanting to rip off their own ears. Stick to which games you like and why and show you are sane, reasonable and amusing guy and have no stench of the cat-piss about you.

SJE

EDIT - P.S. One specific piece of London etiquette- dont ask the older club members about the Guild of Melee and Magic until you know them much bettr. Even though it all went down years before I came to London, there are enough bad memories about it (and lawsuits, accusations and thefts) that it still upsets people.

Last edited:

flintlocklaser

Retired User
EDIT - P.S. One specific piece of London etiquette- dont ask the older club members about the Guild of Melee and Magic until you know them much bettr. Even though it all went down years before I came to London, there are enough bad memories about it (and lawsuits, accusations and thefts) that it still upsets people.
Of course, you realize this means you've got to tell us what the abovementioned fracas was all about. You've set it up as too interesting a mystery to leave us hanging like this.

Beyond00

Validated User
Of course, you realize this means you've got to tell us what the abovementioned fracas was all about. You've set it up as too interesting a mystery to leave us hanging like this.
Seconded. :)

A web search doesn't reveal much!

Last edited:

stephen_dean

Validated User
Thanks for the responses. I am catpiss free. SJE that was great, can you recommend one of the Central clubs? I live near Regents park, next to Baker Street Tube, and I am writing my Masters Dissertation so any day of the week would be fine. Now all I need to do is find a Monocle. Dragons on a Hill looks good, so I will buy a round if I turn up. :D

Eslington

The Cardboard Palace
Validated User
Consider looking up the University of London Union Games Society (ULU Gamesoc), located near the north end of The British Museum/Tottenham Court Road.

It's a student society, so people will be tearing their hair with exam and deadline stress soon enough, but you could potentially meet some fun people there.

It's been a while since I was a member, but I'm hoping they're doing well.

Top Bottom