Looking for a barely-remembered D&D adventure

Sphinx of Black Quartz

Huggable Space Caterpillar
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One of my first exposures to roleplaying games was an adventure supplement belonging to an older friend of an older friend. This was around 1985 or so, and I was a wee lad, so I don't remember much about it; the only things that really stick in my memory are
  • At one point, the party was attacked by kobolds. The book devoted a fair number of words to what might happen if a kobold was tied up and taken prisoner.
  • The dungeon or tower or whatever included several beds with unpredictable effects like putting adventurers into indefinite magical sleep, waking up adventurers put to sleep by other beds, and, if I recall correctly, instant death. (Yay old school!)
I know that's not much to go on, but is this ringing any bells for anybody?

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One of my first exposures to roleplaying games was an adventure supplement belonging to an older friend of an older friend. This was around 1985 or so, and I was a wee lad, so I don't remember much about it; the only things that really stick in my memory are
  • At one point, the party was attacked by kobolds. The book devoted a fair number of words to what might happen if a kobold was tied up and taken prisoner.
  • The dungeon or tower or whatever included several beds with unpredictable effects like putting adventurers into indefinite magical sleep, waking up adventurers put to sleep by other beds, and, if I recall correctly, instant death. (Yay old school!)
I know that's not much to go on, but is this ringing any bells for anybody?
I think that is the first scenario in the Dungeons & Dragons Basic Dungeon Master's guide from '83.

El Santo

Validated User
That's the "group adventure" from the Dungeonmaster's Rulebook in the Mentzer "red box" basic D&D set, published circa 1983. That version of the game was pitched at a much younger audience than was assumed by the four previous formulations, and the two books it contained (a Player's Manual and the aforementioned Dungeonmaster's Rulebook) were built around a trilogy of simple adventures intended as hands-on instruction in roleplaying for people who'd never done it before. The Player's Manual started off with a rules-light and extra-railroady adventure that you were supposed to play through as you read it for the first time, plus a more involved scenario for the same standard fighter character which you were supposed to take on after you'd familiarized yourself with the fundamental rules of the game. Then there was the adventure you're describing, which was supposed to teach novice DMs how to handle things on their side of the screen. It had a fully written-up first level, an un-stocked map for level two, and a terse list of guidelines for what level three should contain, the idea being that the new DM would be doing more of the work of scenario-creation with each step.

NPCDave

Validated User
The 3.5 version of that adventure was published in Dungeon Magazine #150 and I provided an overview of it here.

Sphinx of Black Quartz

Huggable Space Caterpillar
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That sounds like it. Thanks, everybody! And thanks for linking your review of the updated adventure, NPCDave.

Top Bottom