• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Looking for games for an 8-year old

OneEyedMan

Unfortunate inventor of the Bratwurstarita
Validated User
My daughter, who really digs games and loves anime-styled characters, asked me to get her a game last weekend, and I told her I'd check it.

Well, it was "Yandere Simulator" and kind of a hard NO from me for the time being, but it got me wondering:

Is there a Minecraft/Sims sort of game with anime-style art and character creation? Or something age appropriate where you can build and play as an anime character?

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My daughter, who really digs games and loves anime-styled characters, asked me to get her a game last weekend, and I told her I'd check it.

Well, it was "Yandere Simulator" and kind of a hard NO from me for the time being, but it got me wondering:

Is there a Minecraft/Sims sort of game with anime-style art and character creation? Or something age appropriate where you can build and play as an anime character?
We're talking PC or consols?
Switch and PS4/3 Dragon Quest builder which is basically Monecraft with Dragon Quest (the Final Fanatsy rival series with character desing by Dragonball's Akira Toriyama) character/ Monster

OneEyedMan

Unfortunate inventor of the Bratwurstarita
Validated User
PC, iPad, android, PS3, Mac, A switch is in the works but we had to use our Switch Funds to replace a collapsed mattress (grrrrrrrrrr), so we've been set back a bit,.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
PC, iPad, android, PS3, Mac, A switch is in the works but we had to use our Switch Funds to replace a collapsed mattress (grrrrrrrrrr), so we've been set back a bit,.
Ok.
Wikipedia said it was out PS3, but digging it seems to be a Japan-only version.
Sorry about that.
Still, once you get a switch it's worth a look.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
There’s Portal Knights, which is available on mobile. It’s basically Minecraft, plus more combat, plus cute anime visual aesthetic. I haven’t spent much time with it myself, but several people whose tastes I trust really liked the console version when it came out, and the mobile version doesn’t look too compromised at a glance.

Knaight

Validated User
Recettear would fit this perfectly. Celeste might fit, though you'd probably need to go heavy on the accessibility features, and it's further off genre. If you end up getting the Switch Dragon Quest Builders is pretty much exactly minecraft but with anime characters, and is very kid friendly.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I assume this is PC platform?

I'm looking at the wiki page for Yandere Simulator, and it features a cute if somewhat generic anime girl with a simple art style. I wonder if that is what your daughter is seeing as an interesting game?

Browsing through Steam, I saw some games that might fit the bill:

Fault - Milestone One

Space Channel 5

Trails of Cold Steel

A Hat in Time

Touhou Luna Nights (though it looks hard)

Iris Fall

Witch's Tea Party

Top Bottom