• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Looting the Lost Lands [RISUS]

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
LOOTING THE LOST LANDS
Steampunk-Fantasy RISUS Game

The Lost Land... The Seventh Continent. Ximhai... the center of the ancient world... it has many names now, but the great continent that has returned to it's rightful place after nearly 5000 years of absence has shaken the globe. Lost technologies and ancient ruins beckon the curious and the greedy who seek to pry open it's secrets and make names for themselves in the annals of world history. For some, it's a chance to redeem themselves after past failures, for others the chance to no longer be another face in the crowd.

But all those who wish to make a go at the dangers and hidden treasures of the Lost Lands must make their start somewhere... and for many, that somewhere is the port city of Entrada. Built out of and in the ruins of the first city discovered on the continent, it is a melting pot for all the world as the city is neutral ground holding allegiance to no empire, and all are welcome as long as they don't cause trouble. It is here that the many treasures and artifacts of the past arrive before heading home to the many realms and individuals who have been financing the expeditions into the interior.

Be as that may, just because people live here once again doesn't mean the city is safe. Even after seventeen years, not all of the city has been reclaimed, and there are many an area that is treaded lightly for one never knows what might be lurking in the ancient shadows... with some sharing the same grisly or mysterious fate of many who set out into the interior...

But on this day, five new arrivals shall begin to carve out their own story here in this mix of ancient and new. Only time will tell if their stories become remembered for all time... or if like much of it's former inhabitants, they become lost to time...

Our Adventurers:
GM NOTE- It is the year 20 adventu deinde, or 20 After Arrival
Spoiler: Show
You have arrived via a ship from Shan Gu, your homeland. The portion of the city devoted to those from it's realm and sphere is rather crowded but at least carries with it familiar sights, smells, and sounds. None of which you are here for. You are here to reclaim the gifts the Gods have left behind, and to use them to transform yourself and expand your flock so that you may continue the work of your gods.

You overhear some talk from a few other would be adventurers and one of the dockmaster's that if you want a better chance at making it back from any expeditions, you should seek out a place called the Adventurer's Guild. It sounds to be located a bit further into and towards the center of this growing city.

Sometimes, your knack for telling tales, and moving with a would be audience if need be, has some unintended consequences. This time, it's resulted in you bordering a ship that was bound for Entrada on the Lost Land, and it was only as you were pulling into one of the six ports there that you discovered this and had to bring your tale to an end. After all, you were now on one of the most mysterious places in the world... a land full of unknown danger and mysteries...

You hear from one of the passengers, a woman who was intending on settling down in the city, that she'd heard of a place where many of the would be independent explorers and adventurers were flocking to, a place called the Adventurers Guild. Perhaps you should check it out... it sounds like a good way of finding others who are just as curious as you are about this new, er, old land. Who knows, you might find some new tales, or make a few yourself.

There's no fanfare as your ship sails into the harbor, but then, given the royal flags flapping from several points, the seal of your family's house emblazed on the main sail, it's hard not to be noticed as the ship comes to a stop in the Al-Sharaa’ section of the harbors. A few scholars, bueracrats, and soldiers disembark, and your fairly certain you see at least one of your father's Shadow's slip into the city, no doubt to try and keep an eye on you, but just as you desired, you were here on your own as your own man to explore and bring back the knowledge of this ancient land and its magnificent technology.

The ship captain approaches you, reminding you again of the place he knows is best to start your journey and explorations- the Adventurers Guild, which he has visited in a past visit to the city. It's a hub for new and old alike to gather and join up to explore the lands. It is certainly better than going alone.

Docking wasn't itself a problem, but as you had discerned already, your ship wasn't going to be doing any sailing anytime soon. In fact, it might be that it won't sail ever again. Some of your crew aren't giving it reassuring looks and you can already see two or three of your more unruly crew deciding now was a good time to try and find a new ship to sail with.

Still, you knew there were ways to make money here, the easiest being to join expeditions to head into the interior and loot lost treasures and return with all kinds of neat and ancient gadgets, gizmos, and tomes. And as it so happens, your current first mate seems to know where to go to really speed up the money earning part of such ventures. The Adventurers guild, which isn't too far from here.

Being on the run from a few noble families in the Izinhlanzi Confederacy was not something, you suspected, many could say, nor for the reasons you yourself were now landing here in the Izinhlanzi section of Entrada's vast harbor. Still, you couldn't think of a better place to get lost in and away from those rather rude and stick up their arse nobles. Hopefully their loathing of you hadn't caused them to send any hunters after you.

Still, now that you were here, there was no reason to simply find a place to hide and lay low for a bit. There were new things to see and try, and stories to be made plunging into the depths of this long forgotten land. As you walk off the dock, you overhear a merchant talking with a sailor, talking about how his investment into the Adventurers guild was proving itself smart now after one of the expeditions it sent returned with many new artifacts.

Maybe you should check out this adventurer guild?

OOC: The harbors of the city are laid out in order of the continents, but if any of you wish to bump into each other pretty much from the start you may do so.

As an aside, while not an ironclad necessity, I'd like any OOC questions and the like to be made in the OOC thread, at least for the time being.

Last edited:

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
Shazi grins like a total madman, which considering he pretty much is, is nothing new. The looks he's getting hanging half off the ship's side by a rope from his mechanical wrist are no different than the normal looks at the madman... he had at least managed to explain to one of his shipmates why he was so excited, the young man a good candidate for a convert... he shakes his head, his hood falling as seasalt water splashes across his face... "I've Arrived!!! as was decreed!!!" he howls, the lupine echo of his voice only adding to the strangeness of his arrival... as the ship docks he jumps off, his paws slamming the boardwalk with a thunk... taking his usual hunched posture and walking forward, his mechanical arm mostly hidden in his robes as his wild eyes prowl the area... Shazi smiles to himself upon hearing of the guild, beginning to wander in the general direction of the guild hall... "mmmm, I wonder how many here are believers??? hehehe, once I accomplish the mission I shall have many new brothers..." he mumbles eerily to himself... he looks like a beggar at a glance, save the VERY decorated and mechanically enhanced staff slung over his back glinting with the power of the zealot mage...

Last edited:

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
Landing At Entrada

From Ibn Yahya's Diaries:
In the name of God, Most Beneficent and Divine...

The Twentieth Year of the Return, Coinciding with the Three Hundredth and Fifty-Second Year of the Great Convergence*, Third Day of Shamash...

Day Twenty-Five of My Travels to the New World,

We have finally made landfall in the port city of Entrada on the new continent. Our journey had been long, yet uneventful, and I am glad to be on dry land again. While a man's heart can long for the sea, there are times when stability and stable ground under one's feet are more valuable. Bukhara, my horse, will certainly be glad to have solid land beneath her hooves again; the journey has not entirely sat well with her.

Our arrival into port receives little fanfare, something I find a mite surprising. Apparently, they receive many foreign dignitaries here that the arrival of a small group of ships bearing a royal emblem receives little attention. And yet, one can see why; the harbor is almost entirely concealed behind a wall of white sails and various ships, ranging from tiny rowboats to mighty galleons, almost filling the harbor. As it is, it takes our ships a while to find suitable berths, so I spend the time sketching the harbor for my notes and travels. Fortunately, it does not take long, and I am free to step off the ship and onto the worn cobblestone of the harbor.

As I step out into the streets of the city of Entrada, aptly named as the gateway to this wondrous new land, I am greeted by myriad sounds and sights. The sounds of the bazaar assault my ears with the voices of eager merchants, babbling children, and braying pack mules, and people of all walks of life across the world, their sounds collectively strange to me and yet as familiar as the Grand Bazaar of Damask, the vista as colorful as a well-preserved Mykonian mosaic. I have heard many tales of people across the world; how they dress, how they talk, how they act in public, and yet to see them in the streets, living aside and interacting with each other as though it were the most natural thing in the world, adds a new layer to this strange new land, and a testament to how wide and great the world is, and how wise and power the Creator is. I feel my curiosity growing, pulling me to explore this living painting of life, commerce, and diversity, but alas, I have more important things to do.

I had been instructed to go to the Adventurers' Guild, a place which is part inn, part office and records center, and part mercenary camp. I find my princely training arise to the fore, wondering how easily would it be to simply plant spies and informants among the travelers, trying to discern any secrets from a mouth loosened by carelessness or drink. And yet, the captain recommended it, saying it is a great place to find companions and seek knowledge, provided one is courteous. Caution, as always when traveling strange new lands, is highly advised.

I walk the streets of Entrada, not the first time I have been away from my Father's protective eye, but quite possibly the start of something greater than I have ever been in before.

As he guides his mare down the ramp from the ship, Hassan looks around him as he puts away his diaries, taking in the sights and sounds of the city around him. Smells both repulsive and alluring assault his nostrils, summoning the images of hot meals to destitute beggars and everything in-between. It is tempting to sit and enjoy the sights, sounds, and food here, but even though the temptation is great and the promise of freedom intoxicating, he knows he has other business to attend. His parents raised neither an idler nor a glutton. Besides, the Adventurers' Guild reportedly had facilities enough for travelers, so perhaps there he can get his living arrangements in order.

Holding Bukhara's reins in his hand, he walks through the streets, following instructions, taking in the sights - and secretly keeping one hand on his purse under his clothes.

As Hassan travels deeper into the city, its ancient nature comes to the fore. While signs of civilization are still here, there are less and less of it, revealing that for all the hustle and bustle of the bazaars and the port, much of the city is as yet unclaimed. He mentally compares it to Acre and Damask, even to some Mykonian ruins he once visited. The 'reclaimed' part of the city, was active, is still small, and the ruins, foreboding and ancient, still await.

"And this is just the abandoned ruins," he thinks to himself. "What was this city like in its days of glory? When all its towers were still standing tall, its gleaming edifices still intact? What was it like when its people were walking and crowding the streets? And what changed it all?"

He pauses to admire the scenery, stopping when the horse neighs in concern. He then turns around to head to the Adventurers' Guild.

OOC:
* - basically the alternative calendar for Al-Sharaa', similar to the hijri Islamic calendar.

Last edited:

Elfwine

Validated User
Re: Landing At Entrada

Elerane leaves the ship he arrived on with the air of a man who has no interest in being inconspicuous. The crew didn't know who he was when he took passage, and they only know what he's said now.

Before heading towards the Adventurer's Guild, he takes a brief look around the city in general.

It's interesting how some of its buildings have been repurposed. Some may once have served functions similar to that which they serve now, others... well, it's possible.

It's a pity. The more the city is used for its new inhabitants, the more the ways of the past will be buried by the present.

Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User

The hustle and bustle of a ship coming into port made an ideal time for a man to slip over the railing, particularly a man whose skill at the dice had appeared a bit better than average. Wasn't his fault Lady Luck favored him, but MacIntyre had a keen eye for resentful looks, and itchy feet that only got itchier when he was outnumbered and outmassed. Really, he was doing everyone a favor by avoiding painful goodbyes (physically painful, more than likely). And the coin in his pocket would have been wasted on drink and women.

Well. It probably still would be, but they'd be his drink and women. An important distinction.

Despite his slightly below-average height the tanned man regarded the city of Entrada like a conqueror deciding which section was worthy of his attention. The crowd on the docks was even more varied than such crowds usually were, with men and women of all colors and nationalities - he even saw a cluster of dwarves, eyeing their neighbors sullenly, and a wild-eyed lupine fellow not unlike the Dingonai of Arrernte, with a metal staff slung across his back. Beyond bulks the city itself, a modern place clinging barnacle-like to the colossal ruins of the past.

A new land means new opportunities. And what better place to start than this Adventurers' Guild he'd heard talk of? MacIntyre wasn't the joining kind by nature, and the idea of becoming a member of such a guild was like a too-small shirt, but such places were usually rife with gossip. Perhaps he could pick up useful information, trade stories, learn the lay of the land.

As if on cue, his gaze fell upon a . . . person, a slender man dressed in well-cut clothes and wearing a broad-brimmed hat. Ears too long and pointed to be human completed the picture. Well, I'll be a numbat. A mimi - no, that's not what they call 'em. An elf, that's it.

"A fine day to you," MacIntyre said as he fell into step besides the elf. "You new here? So'm I. MacIntyre's the name."

Elfwine

Validated User

Elerane turns his gaze from the city to the human addressing him.

"And a good day to you. You can call me Elerane."

He gives MacIntyre an appraising look.

"What brings you to Entrada? If you care to talk about it, that is."

Last edited:

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User

As the Crimson Saber put into port, and the immediate danger of death by drowning has passed, Captain Sophia Beaufort looked over the damage, and really took it in. It was not looking good. The damage from the battle was, if anything, worse than it had seemed. It was nothing short of a minor miracle they'd made it to shore at all. She turned to address her crew. "All right, listen up, those of you who aren't about to jump ship," she says. "We either need to fix the Saber, or we're going to need a new ship. Either way, we're gonna need money we just don't have here. So, I want the lot of you to do what you can to save the old girl. I'm going to head ashore and look into this Adventure's Guild. They say there's all sorts of treasure in this land. I'm going to get us a piece of it."

With that, she headed into her cabin, took a few minutes to brush her and and fix her make-up. Best give a good first impression of Captain Sophia Beaufort to the people of Entrada. She packs her bag, checks her pistol to ensure dry powder, checks her sword as well, and walks off her ship, onto the dock. She looks around for whom ever she might see.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User

"A bit of wind, a bit of luck, a few dreams," MacIntyre replies carelessly. "New land, full of possibilities and all that. Or old land, really.

"What about you, mate? What brings an elf here?"

Elfwine

Validated User

"The call of the unknown, the chance to uncover some mysteries - a lost city made of gold? A new kind of beetle?"

Elerane grins.

"Either would do."

Last edited:

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User

Shazi smiles to himself upon hearing of the guild, beginning to wander in the general direction of the guild hall... "mmmm, I wonder how many here are believers??? hehehe, once I accomplish the mission I shall have many new brothers..." he mumbles eerily to himself... he looks like a beggar at a glance, save the VERY decorated and mechanically enhanced staff slung over his back glinting with the power of the zealot mage...
Your rather exuberant entrance and the maddened look of you, combined with your howl does startle many people, some even looking like they expect you to start tearing into people. But when you simply stalk off into the crowd, things quickly calm down and you become lost in the sea of humans and non-humans alike. Were it not for the staff slung on your back, no one would likely take much notice of you.

As Hassan travels deeper into the city, its ancient nature comes to the fore. While signs of civilization are still here, there are less and less of it, revealing that for all the hustle and bustle of the bazaars and the port, much of the city is as yet unclaimed. He mentally compares it to Acre and Damask, even to some Mykonian ruins he once visited. The 'reclaimed' part of the city, was active, is still small, and the ruins, foreboding and ancient, still await.

"And this is just the abandoned ruins," he thinks to himself. "What was this city like in its days of glory? When all its towers were still standing tall, its gleaming edifices still intact? What was it like when its people were walking and crowding the streets? And what changed it all?"

He pauses to admire the scenery, stopping when the horse neighs in concern. He then turns around to head to the Adventurers' Guild.
You try to imagine the city at it's height, and you suspect that to some extent it's not entirely too different from now. A bright and lively port city, possibly the most important of the ancient Empire that not only called this continent its home but spread forth from it to establish colonies across the coasts of the other six continents. In a way, this ancient ruin was seeing a revival. Perhaps someday it would be able to rival it's past glory.

That will likely be far in the future though... perhaps any grandchildren you have will get to come here and see it for themselves.

Elerane leaves the ship he arrived on with the air of a man who has no interest in being inconspicuous. The crew didn't know who he was when he took passage, and they only know what he's said now.

Before heading towards the Adventurer's Guild, he takes a brief look around the city in general.

It's interesting how some of its buildings have been repurposed. Some may once have served functions similar to that which they serve now, others... well, it's possible.

It's a pity. The more the city is used for its new inhabitants, the more the ways of the past will be buried by the present.
Your glance around shows that indeed, there is a mixture of reuse and adaption going on, with only a little bit of new construction being made to buildings themselves. Perhaps of equal interest is that, despite the fact the harbor seems split into sections representing each of the major empires of the world, the dock is crowded and bustling with people and races of every color, species, creed and more. A veritable melting pot of the worlds cultures.

A new land means new opportunities. And what better place to start than this Adventurers' Guild he'd heard talk of? MacIntyre wasn't the joining kind by nature, and the idea of becoming a member of such a guild was like a too-small shirt, but such places were usually rife with gossip. Perhaps he could pick up useful information, trade stories, learn the lay of the land.

As if on cue, his gaze fell upon a . . . person, a slender man dressed in well-cut clothes and wearing a broad-brimmed hat. Ears too long and pointed to be human completed the picture. Well, I'll be a numbat. A mimi - no, that's not what they call 'em. An elf, that's it.

"A fine day to you," MacIntyre said as he fell into step besides the elf. "You new here? So'm I. MacIntyre's the name."
As you make your way off the dock and approach the elf, you can hear some rather loud yelling coming from the ship, the voice sounding like one of the sailor's whose money you had won by the fortune of lady luck, clearly. It seemed he was still rather incensed at how much he'd lost to you, and that his fellows weren't being all that successful in convincing him to not try and chase after you and strangle you til he got his coin back.

Best to make this a walking conversation.

As the Crimson Saber put into port, and the immediate danger of death by drowning has passed, Captain Sophia Beaufort looked over the damage, and really took it in. It was not looking good. The damage from the battle was, if anything, worse than it had seemed. It was nothing short of a minor miracle they'd made it to shore at all. She turned to address her crew. "All right, listen up, those of you who aren't about to jump ship," she says. "We either need to fix the Saber, or we're going to need a new ship. Either way, we're gonna need money we just don't have here. So, I want the lot of you to do what you can to save the old girl. I'm going to head ashore and look into this Adventure's Guild. They say there's all sorts of treasure in this land. I'm going to get us a piece of it."

With that, she headed into her cabin, took a few minutes to brush her and and fix her make-up. Best give a good first impression of Captain Sophia Beaufort to the people of Entrada. She packs her bag, checks her pistol to ensure dry powder, checks her sword as well, and walks off her ship, onto the dock. She looks around for whom ever she might see.
Your crew, those who indeed seem intent on sticking around... which appears only to be those who've been with you for the long haul, nod, give a mix of salutes, and then start working on doing what they can for the heavily wounded vessel. Preparing yourself takes just a bit longer, since you discover the mirror in your quarters is cracked in several places now and pissing a few smaller pieces, but soon your off into the mass of people from all over who have made their home here or come to try their fortune. No one immediately draws your eye, and so you simply head off into the city, though after a bit you do spot someone on horse who seems to be a bit lost in admiring the city, and has the air of a nobleman about him. His garb suggests to you that he's an Al-Sharaa’, and he seems to be headed in the same direction you are.

----

It takes only about fifteen minutes, give or take, for all of you to start arriving at the Adventurers Guild. It looks like an old Cathedral that has had some renovation done to it, which allows the building to give off the vibe of a very big tavern or drinking hall. Walking inside you find the main hall which is spacious and filled with a smattering of individuals of all kinds talking, preparing for their next adventure, or heading off to relax and celebrate a success or drown their sorrows after a failure. There are tables, benches, cushions and the like all over, with five doorways leading to other parts of the building.

Directly ahead at the opposite end is a door with a plague over it labeled "Guild Offices". To the right are plagues suggesting one door leads to a sort of guild forge or shop, and the other being a tankard, to the Guild's own bar. The right has a magical rune you all recognize representing the School of Healing Magic's, and the other simply has the image of a bed, no doubt the bunks or inn for those needing to rest the night or day away before they forge out again.

You see a few others who look rather fresh faced heading to the Guild Offices. Perhaps that's where one goes to register with the Guild and learn of missions and form groups to better the chances of, if not success, of survival.

Top Bottom