Lord of the Rings on Prime - Welcome to the Second Age

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I just wonder if people aren’t jumping to conclusions with this map. And of course a second age show without Numenor is kinda weird to me.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Well, Numenor is on the first map.
Oh I didn’t actually dig in and click on the map :embarrassed smilie:

And of course it’s explicitly confirmed by the official twitter. Totally surprised the estate would agree to this.

Of course if I was doing a 2nd Age show it would be explicitly a fall of Numenor one.

That’s not to say I’m not more interested now than I was before. Sad though I can’t make anymore Strider the Wonder Years jokes.

Last edited:

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Good choice for a time period/topic, in that it has lots of direct tie-ins to LotR, without being so close in time that it straightjackets the showrunners much in plotting. We can get fan service moments like "oh shit, this is leading into the battle with sauron that opens the Jackson LotR trilogy" or "oh crap that dude is gonna turn into a Nazgul?", without having a whole story full of characters whose plots feel preordained (which would have been the issue with young Aragorn imo).

Also, the fall of Numenor is about as close to GoT-ish as Tolkein gets. Its all intrigue and tragedy, and while Tolkein himself painted with pretty broad strokes as was often his prose style, that just means there's lots of freedom for writers to flesh out what exactly Sauron's manipulations looked like in practice. If Amazon wants to fill the void left by Game of Thrones/compete with the Witcher and GoT-spinoffs, this is a smart way to do it with the LotR property in a way that doesn't have to feel like they're totally betraying the spirit of the original work.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
So do we know if weta is involved yet?
I havent seen any official news, but Amazon has literally committed a billion dollars to this project and weta obviously have more expertise in depicting this particular property than any other company in the world, so I'd be surprised if Amazon didn't end up involving them to some degree at least

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I havent seen any official news, but Amazon has literally committed a billion dollars to this project and weta obviously have more expertise in depicting this particular property than any other company in the world, so I'd be surprised if Amazon didn't end up involving them to some degree at least
Depends on whether they want a clean slate in terms of the visual language I’d think.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Well actually diving into the map is interesting for what’s not there/there. No Arnor. No Tharbad. Lond Daer there.

Top Bottom