• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Lost Odyssey - Disc 4 unreadable

Juriel

Banned
Hmm. I just got onto Disc 4...which promptly came up with 'cannot read disc' error three seconds into the disc-starting cutscene. Previous attempts don't get even that far, and the DVD drive makes weird noises if the disc is in.

There's no marks anywhere on the disc, and over at RPGnet IRC, Plastik said I was the third person he knew who had Lost Odyssey, and who had the exact same issue. His two other people were americans, while I'm from Europe.

Guess I'll try changing the disc for another at the game store, but oh man. Anyone else here had this problem?

Jaakko

Validated User
Chances are, you're heading towards a RROD. I don't know which is worse though, faulty disc or faulty console.

daHob

Hobgoblin of Joy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been having a lot of disk read errors as well. It's just the crappy reader though. I re-seat the disk and try again and it has always cleared up.

It's like cheap bindings on gaming books. I'll pay the extra 10% for a usable product.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
My friend had the same problem with his disc. Took it back to the shop. They told him he was wrong and they cleaned it, still didn't work. Went and shouted at them until he got a new disc 4. His new disc works. I've not got to disc 4 yet but it looks like mine works.

Juriel

Banned
Okay, the store put the DVD through their cleaning machine, and it seems to play now. The first minute after I got home it brought up a disc read error, which was a very ngh moment, but it's played well now for an hour and a half, when previously it locked up within minutes. I'll need to be paranoid about saving and exploration, and the DVD drive emits strange noises at times, but...I hope it hobbles by until I'm through.

The whole worldmap FINALLY opening up is what I've waited ages for!

Avace

Retired User
I'm now convinced that it's a problem with the discs. Here's how I arrived at this decision:

1) Bought copy of game, played through first three discs with a few graphical jumps / glitches but no read errors.

2) Began disc 4 - frequently encountered read errors in various parts of the game and on one occasion was told "Please insert the disc into an xbox 360 console".

3) Returned disc to shop after having played through a section of the game at least ten times. On each occasion, I was not stopped by my ability to defeat enemies but by a read error. This would happen at the most inopportune moments when I had completed a large section of gameplay and was close to reaching a save point to record my progress. Disc 4 was swapped out.

4) Tried playing with second copy of disc 4. If anything, the disc encountered more read errors than the original. I began to think "Maybe it's the console".

5) Purchased new xbox 360 as I noticed jitters in another game. Thought everything was going well, then played through an even larger section of the game, same jitters as before occurred but less frequently then BAM - read error - same as before.

6) With the new console, I also purchased a bundled second copy of Lost Odyssey just in case I needed it to complete the game. I'm just starting to use it now but I already notice occasional freeze ups playing back the intro video and after 2 discs having problems hold out little hope.

That's where I am today. Love the game but am really frustrated by faults that are probably caused by the publishers going to a cheap stamping factory to make the DVDs that the game ships on!

Incidentally, I notice with all the copies of disc 4 that I have seen, the surface of the disc that the console reads looks rather "warbled"- don't know how else to describe it, you can see wavy patterns in the disc surface. I wonder if this is the sign of a bad quality disc.

Juriel

Banned
Yeah, I don't know what they did to the poor discs...

I did manage to complete my game, but it required that visit to the store to have the disc cleaned first, and occasionally taking the disc out and wiping away the white scratch-like marks that developed on its surface (but are just something else).

I liked the game, but traded it away right after, since that's just so annoying.

YerMum

Non-prophet
Validated User
My disk 4 came in a separate paper envelope within the game box, and I've heard that there are generally many issues with the disk. I think that there was a bad batch and while some later issues of the game have the new disk, there's probably a lot in circulation.
Not on disk 4 yet myself, as I keep on dying to some stupid giant ice thing when I've only got spellcasters in my party...

Jaakko

Validated User
I've just got to the fourth disc in Lost Odyssey, and thankfully it works fine. I have to admit I was a bit scared to put it in the first time (that'd make a great out of context quote!).

Top Bottom