• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro Lovecraftian/Mythosical Stephen King?

Ryan Samuelson

Validated User
E. Deirdre Brooks said:
Here's a summary of Flagg's appearances.

According to that page, Flagg was referenced as Nyarlathotep in The Stand.
Bhwa? People think that the "dark man" at the end of The Long Walk is either Flagg or the man in Black?!?

Talk about missing the point.

Just for the record folks, the "dark man" is death. The entire point of The Long Walk is about facing one's own mortality and the desire of the the young to try and outwalk death.

The main character is literally running after death itself at the end of the story, which is the major theme of all the characters in the work one way or another.

Krisnewp1

I don't have a copy in front of me, but I also recall Flagg being called Nyarlathotep. I believe it was the scene when the team sent to infiltrate Las Vegas is intercepted. The sociologist rattles off a number of names by which Flagg is known, among them Nyarlathotep and Azathoth.

There's an excellent work out there, A Cthulhu Mythos Bibliography & Concordance, a truly comprehensive list of Mythos references in popular fiction.

Good one, your description sparked my memory... But I'll assume since you remember the scene so well, you remember it's from The Stand. Cheers! And Stephen King, long may he reign!!

csyphrett

Validated User
There has also been N. and the Revivalist since this thread was active. They are about guarding reality from other bad places
CES

Brian888

Validated User
King has stated that “N.” is a riff on Machen, not Lovecraft, although honestly I can’t tell the difference in this story.

csyphrett

Validated User
King has stated that “N.” is a riff on Machen, not Lovecraft, although honestly I can’t tell the difference in this story.
I think I read Machen when I was a kid but I am not sure now. It's been a while. The subject matter seemed to be the same in my opinion, but he came first. So evil places, warped humanity, and physical spirits are a signature of both writers
CES

Airk

Your resident Norwegian
Validated User
The Long Boy from Lisey's Story. It is endless, as tall as the sky, and once it has noticed you, it Will be with you forever in mirrors in dark rooms and in the curve of water glasses after dark. Those it consumes never exactly die... Just screams forever inside it.

LeftWingPenguin

Dual-classed GM/Rabbi
Validated User
One fairly subtle reference it's easy to miss is that in IT the creepy drug store owner at one point mentions a painter named "Pickman" who paints really strange pictures. So in the Stephen King universe Pickman of "Pickman's Model" is a real painter who lives in Derry (because of course he would).

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I'm actually amazed no one has mentioned the short story "Gramma" from the Skeleton Crew yet.

Its a story of an eleven year old boy who is left home alone with his dying grandmother who happens to be a powerful witch who intends on possessing him.

Nevermind the fact that Hastur is explicitly mentioned in the story, but the story itself seems like a retelling of a Lovecraft story of a wizard who steals the body of their descendant (although the name of the story escapes me).

Top Bottom