• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

LPers that actually enjoy the games they play?

perfect^inzanity

Priest of Muawijhe
Validated User
If you aren't already into him, I might suggest Northernlion although he rarely does horror games - replayable random games like Binding of Isaac, Slay the Spire, and Darkest Dungeon are his bread and butter. If he dislikes a game, he just doesn't play it.
Speaking of Slay the Spire, Rhapsody (that now adays more or less only plays StS) is a joy to listen to. Especially fun is if he finds a new combo that just goes off, his laughter then is just wonderful and brightens my day. Also helps that he restarted the non-modded series after the early access ended on Slay the Spire.

manwhat

Formerly 'buggritall'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It depends on what you're looking for. Seeing someone get surprised by plot twists, or try to predict the course of the game and either succeed or fail spectacularly, can be great fun. Certainly watching someone play a long game is a time investment, but if you've got the free time it can be worth it.
I guess I more prefer the style of LP where personality is irrelevant. My preferred style has most of the following:
- No facecam
- The LPer knows the game well (they may have a blind-cocommentator)
- Cutting out the boring bits... and cutting in possible alternate takes, like "here's how you could do it" or "this is an easter egg I missed showing off in the main runthrough"
- Not necessary and more up to the LPer's workflow, but all of the above also tends to mean post-commentary - the LPer records, then comments over it later.

Basically the style is like having a 'director's commentary' of the game, except instead of a director, it's a player who knows the game inside and out. The important thing about the LP is the game - there are certain LPers I tend to go to, but it's because they tend to put out this level of quality, not because I think their personalities are special otherwise. To me, watching an LP because of the people doing it is missing the point.

Though I have watched an interesting subversion of the above - Geop's LP of Dark Souls has him running through it blind and live, but his co-commentator Vicas (and generally any guest commentators) knows the game well, and so while Geop is allowed to flail about, Vicas will give hints when stuck, or give advice when one path leads to progression and the other path is optional. Geop also has interesting approaches to the Taurus and Capra Demons early in the game that differ from what a first-timer might do and so there's some editing fake-outs there.

I figure long games like JRPGs and older turn-based games are much better done in screenshot LP form - cuts out all the random battles, for one thing. Often in 'hybrid' form so that important cutscenes or particularly notable elements of voice acting or special moves get a short video for it.

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User
It's not for everyone, for sure. But I would find your preferred type of LP to be the opposite of enjoyable - if I want a walkthrough, I'll read one. I'm primarily interested in the experience of someone I find entertaining interacting with a game for the first time, especially a game I've already played. It's like being able to introduce a friend to something neat and get their every ooh and ahh. I'd rather see someone fail a boss fight five times, so that when they get it on the sixth I can cheer for them, than demonstrate the optimal method for how to get through it.

But that's one of the awesome things about the current landscape: there's a huge variety of LPers, each with their own style, so we can both have what we enjoy.

Crimson Carcharodon

Validated User
Jacksepticeye does a lot of LPs that he seems to really enjoy, including horror games. In particular, his Subnautica LP shows off his amazing enthusiasm for the game, and there are a lot of tense horror moments.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think there's two broad categories of LP that scratch two different itches, and a person might like one but not the other.

The first, which I was talking about, is the 'blind' LP, where someone's playing a game for the first time and recording their reactions. This works best with games that have major plot twists, or mysteries the player's intended to try to solve, or that try to evoke immediate and strong emotion (like a horror game). A lot of the fun of watching/reading this kind of LP comes if you've already played the game. It's impossible for the game to surprise you any more -- but by seeing someone else be surprised or mystified or scared or whatever, you can recapture some of that original feeling.

The second, which manwhat manwhat was talking about, is what you might call the 'expert' style of LP, where someone who's already thoroughly familiar with the game runs through it and shows you all the little details and tricks that you may not have known about. This works especially well with games where there's some sort of skill requirements to seeing everything -- if you're not good enough to do some intense platforming, or reach a hidden room, or get the bonuses for a speedrun, it can be thrilling to see someone else pull it off perfectly.

I don't think either kind of LP is at all bad, though some people might prefer one or the other. I lean towards preferring blind LPs myself, but at the same time there have been a few expert-style LPs I've liked. And sometimes there can be hybrid versions -- where, for instance, someone is playing a game blind but with an expert looking over their shoulder to help out when things get too rough and point out things they missed, or when a screenshot LP of a mystery game is being made by someone thoroughly familiar with the game, but the unspoiled commentators in the thread start speculating and sharing their reactions.

manwhat

Formerly 'buggritall'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This works especially well with games where there's some sort of skill requirements to seeing everything -- if you're not good enough to do some intense platforming, or reach a hidden room, or get the bonuses for a speedrun, it can be thrilling to see someone else pull it off perfectly.
Well, I wouldn't call ChipCheezum 'especially skilled' at any of the games he plays - I'm pretty sure he plays Uncharted on either Hard or Normal rather than Crushing or Brutal, and he's not some kind of Metal Gear Solid savant. He just happens to like the game, know it reasonably well, and look up any little extras and sometimes go through a level multiple times if there's mutually exclusive things to show off.
For example, the MGS5 LP (currently on hiatus) switches between through 'theoretical Snakes' - 'Big Boss' showing the 'pro no kills stealth' method, 'Venom Snake' showing the lethal stealth and occasional all-out guns blazing play, and 'Vapor Snake' showing dumb things you can do and still beat the mission - or not, sometimes, with unusual failures.
They're not walkthroughs (though some LPs I guess you could use it as one), it's just consciously showing the whole of a game, including its best and worst bits.

Top Bottom