• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
So, I was gifted No Man's Sky for my birthday. I've had my eye on the game since it came out, as I've always thought it looked great; so, I know that there have been several changes and updates since it was released, although I'm not sure exactly what. But I've found the game doesn't show you much past the absolute basics!

So, as a newb, what should I know?

So far, I've:

- Repaired my ship including the hyperdrive
- Repaired all my equipment
- Built one building
- Made one Warp jump (where do I get more Antimatter?)
- Sold some resources for Units (how do I get more Nanomachines, or what is it you need to buy equipment upgrades?)
- Successfully traded my starting Multitool for one that's apparently much better off of an alien
- Learned 5 alien words

But I'm a bit confused about a few things, and while I can follow the main quest I feel like I'll definitely be missing some really important stuff if that's all I do.

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The main quest includes tutorial bits for every mechanic, so it's not a bad way to play the game. It should also lead you to places you can find the important blueprints (including Antimatter!) so you can manufacture things from resources yourself.

Personally, I followed the main quest for a while, and once I could make my own fuel and a few ship upgrades, I went exploring instead.

Keep an eye out for Drop Pods (they look a bit like space marine drop pods, even), as they have upgrades to make your inventory bigger, which is a big help.

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
Thanks, that's some good tips. I've stumbled across a couple of drop pods - I still don't know what the first one did but the second one let me choose what upgrade and I immediately sprung for the high-capacity slot in the suit, I've played RPGs, I know how important inventory space is ;).

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
Also, after I'd wandered around the first planet for a while and filled my hold, I decided to sell it all at the first space station I got to. This gave me enough units that I've never worried about a purchase since.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
I got this for Xmas and I feel like I'm quasi blundering around. Are there any good, basic tutorials out there?

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
Killfalcon says the main plot is also a tutorial.

Without spoilers - are there downsides to following the main plot?

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
So far as I can tell, the core mechanic is remarkably like Minecraft, except you have to discover recipes by finding them rather than trial and error or wiki pages...

nikink

Rampant Green
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ask the Aliens you meet for help with their language, and for directions. When they give directions you can sometimes ask again and get another location as well. Recipes for stuff are found at Manufactories and Operation Centres. So you probably want to focus on those for a while. Trading posts are good for selling stuff, obviously, but they also have more aliens to ask for directions.

Build a base. Follow the base building questlines to get more recipes. I found this a bit tedious, but it was necessary. Space station portals only list coordinates for the last four places you portalled to, so if you wish to keep exploring while retaining your access to your base, then keep your base within the last four portal jumps. If it falls off the list, you could be on the other side of the galaxy and never see it again. You can also just set up a new base, but I'm not sure what kind of material losses that involves, and the also have to rebuild, which can be a pita - ymmv.

Top Bottom