• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

Knockwood

Trying to figure it out.
Validated User
I followed an icon that came up as I started exploring a new world. I believe it was labelled "distress beacon".
The stuff the freighter was hauling is in big boxes that are buried in the ground around the ship. One or two might be loot able, but the rest aren't unless you have a Terrain Manipulator on your multi-tool.

You loot the boxes by "fixing" the lock, like you do with supply pods.

EDIT: which is kind of goofy if you think about it... how is it the cargo is underground without any obvious way to get to it? If it crashed long enough ago for the boxes to get buried, how does the Beacon still work?

Last edited:

Polychrome

Internet Pacifist
Validated User
The stuff the freighter was hauling is in big boxes that are buried in the ground around the ship. One or two might be loot able, but the rest aren't unless you have a Terrain Manipulator on your multi-tool.

EDIT: which is kind of goofy if you think about it... how is it the cargo is underground without any obvious way to get to it? If it crashed long enough ago for the boxes to get buried, how does the Beacon still work?
The story quests get into that later on.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User

The story quests get into that later on.
Thanks^2

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User

Or grenades! It's a lot more tedious, but it will get the job done if you don't have the manipulator, yet.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
How important are the non-resource, (iron, plutonium, nanites, etc), trade good-like items in the early going of the game? I'm trying to make the best resource slot management decisions I can but I'm not sure what's worth hanging on to. I did get some mileage out of gifting a Vykeen dagger but have no idea if I should be hoarding Gek charms. ;)

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
That's a good question. I had one of those but I sold it - then regretted it when I could have used it as leverage with an alien.

nikink

Rampant Green
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You always need iron and plutonium. (And I once found a Traveler who gave me 60k units for 15 Nanites, and I happened to have 900 nanites or so on hand... happy day!).

Daggers, charms, and cubes, I generally sell them off as a waste of space and one of the best sources of early income.Occasionally you want one handy for finding portals or making race-X happier with you, but I don't find either of those things so important that I feel the need to always carry spares around. YMMV.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
Is it particularly useful to take on Sentinels instead of just avoiding them?

I'm in a four planet system where the Sentinels are quite placid on one planet, but which has a toxic environment, and pretty hard core on two other worlds that have friendlier environments that I'd like to explore but can barely get ten steps from my ship before they pounce.

nikink

Rampant Green
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sometimes! It depends what you're after.

They're a good source of Nanites, and Neural Matrix things who's name I've forgotten exactly, and Pugneum.

Sometimes you can get Zinc.

Pugneum is moderately valuable, but otherwise useless - I sell it at any offered price. The Neural things are better value, but take up valuable space. I think theere's a recipe that uses them? Any other time I just sell at any price. Nanites and Zinc are useful as you prolly know by now. :)

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
As I understand it, Sentinels are basically like cops from any GTA game. Keep attacking them and they'll escalate to unsafe levels. I've concluded that they're best avoided.

Apparently they are more peaceful on planets with dangerous atmospheres, so, there's that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom