• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

KaijuGooGoo

Slippery Sloping Kaiju
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another protip for all players that cannot be stressed enough:

EVERY VETERAN WANTS TO HELP YOU EITHER BY ANSWERING QUESTIONS OR JOINING YOU IN MISSIONS.

(there are exceptions, this community does obviously contain shitheels, but not nearly as many as you would think... honestly part of the endgame of warframe is helping other players)
I have found the Facebook groups to be pretty supportive. People like to find S class ships and multi tools and then share the portal codes. The one person who I have seen in a game dropped a base somewhat near my main base with access to his plants and teleporter, and a message to help myself to it. (It's still not enough for me to forgive him for scanning two plants before I knew Marrow Bulb and Oxygen/Sodium Rich Plants were scannable, though.)

JediSoth

ENnies Staff
Validated User
I started over this past week and got a starting world that wasn't Instant Death (seriously, the first time I tried to play, I could only survive outside my ship for a couple of minutes; the environment was so toxic I couldn't really get a handle on the mechanics and controls). This world was still toxic, but manageable and I was able to repair my ship and start exploring the solar system. I found a cool-looking ringed planet COVERED with wierd caltrop-looking mineral things (some of which floated)... and also had much needed Copper deposits (naturally, by then I had acidentally traded my multi-tool for another one and didn't uninstall my terrain manipulator first, so I had to reacquire that).

Now I'm having the hoarding problem; I just don't know what minerals and such I need to hang on to and what is safe to sell. I also botched a trade for an 18-slot multitool (I healed one of the aliens, but I exited the menu before completing the trade). Oh well. Learning curves and all that....

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Now I'm having the hoarding problem; I just don't know what minerals and such I need to hang on to and what is safe to sell. I also botched a trade for an 18-slot multitool (I healed one of the aliens, but I exited the menu before completing the trade). Oh well. Learning curves and all that....
Honestly, this is not a thing you need to worry about that much in the early game. Nothing you frequently need is that hard to get your hands on, so you may wind up kicking yourself because now you have to go gather cobalt when you just sold it, but you're not going to screw yourself.

Just as a practical matter, I sell almost anything that's for a high price or is cluttering up my inventory (like 4 units of Salt or whatever--it takes up a slot but 4 is not enough to do anything with). I mostly keep the common things you need a lot of: Copper, Ferrite Dust, Oxygen, Sodium, Cobalt, Di-Hydrogen, Uranium, Carbon, Tritium, and their upgraded derivatives. With those on hand you can find/make/get almost anything else. I also generally don't sell Technology Modules because you need them for a lot of things and you can buy them but they're not super cheap.

But really you can buy a lot of things, so /shrug.

KaijuGooGoo

Slippery Sloping Kaiju
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just as a practical matter, I sell almost anything that's for a high price or is cluttering up my inventory (like 4 units of Salt or whatever--it takes up a slot but 4 is not enough to do anything with). I mostly keep the common things you need a lot of: Copper, Ferrite Dust, Oxygen, Sodium, Cobalt, Di-Hydrogen, Uranium, Carbon, Tritium, and their upgraded derivatives. With those on hand you can find/make/get almost anything else. I also generally don't sell Technology Modules because you need them for a lot of things and you can buy them but they're not super cheap.
The things I have ended up keeping around in my Exo-Suit Cargo:

- Carbon (mostly for base building)
- Concentrated Carbon (take 2 Carbon to make but usually counts as 3 Carbon for recharging)
- Ferrite Dust (mostly for base building)
- Pure Ferrite
- Magnetized Ferrite
- Cobalt (as there are some things that want the base Cobalt instead of the Ionized version)
- Ionized Cobalt (needed for Drop Pod repair)
- Copper (some repair jobs need it)
- Chromatic Metal
- Sodium (need the base some times, and for alien bartering)
- Sodium Nitrate (recharging hazard meter, ship shields, and Drop Pod repair)
- Uranium (radiation protection module and launch thrusters)
- Pyrite (pulse drive)
- Phosphorus (protection module recharge)
- Oxygen (life support, underwater protection module)
- Dioxite (protection module recharge)
- Ammonia (protection module recharge)
- Mordite (one of the aliens asks for this for words)

Coprite gets needed on occasion, so keep some around. Star Bramble, Solanium, Cactus Flesh, Frost Crystals, Gamma Weed, and Fungal Bloom get used, along with Mordite, for production of some base items (like glass) and trade goods (like circuit boards), but that's a bit down the road. I haven't had much need for Nitrogen and Radon, and I've only used Cyto-Phosphate once. You'll need Cadmium, Emeril, and Indium for some more advanced systems; make sure you don't fully run out, as you can mix them with Chromatic Metal in a refiner to make more.

You'll also want some Antimatter on hand for Drop Pod repairs and possibly Warp Cells, and you will burn through a lot of Tritium and Dihydrogen once you start making Frigate Fuel.

Last edited:

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
The things I have ended up keeping around in my Exo-Suit Cargo:

- Carbon (mostly for base building)
- Concentrated Carbon (take 2 Carbon to make but usually counts as 3 Carbon for recharging)
- Ferrite Dust (mostly for base building)
- Pure Ferrite
- Magnetized Ferrite
- Cobalt (as there are some things that want the base Cobalt instead of the Ionized version)
- Ionized Cobalt (needed for Drop Pod repair)
- Copper (some repair jobs need it)
- Chromatic Metal
- Sodium (need the base some times, and for alien bartering)
- Sodium Nitrate (recharging hazard meter, ship shields, and Drop Pod repair)
- Uranium (radiation protection module and launch thrusters)
- Pyrite (pulse drive)
- Phosphorus (protection module recharge)
- Oxygen (life support, underwater protection module)
- Another blue element for protection module charging that I can't remember
- Mordite (one of the aliens asks for this for words)

Coprite gets needed on occasion, so keep some around. Star Bramble, Solanium, Cactus Flesh, Frost Crystals, Gamma Weed, and Fungal Bloom get used, along with Mordite, for production of some base items (like glass) and trade goods (like circuit boards), but that's a bit down the road. I haven't had much need for Nitrogen and Radon, and I've only used Cyto-Phosphate once. You'll need Cadmium, Emeril, and Indium for some more advanced systems; make sure you don't fully run out, as you can mix them with Chromatic Metal in a refiner to make more.

You'll also want some Antimatter on hand for Drop Pod repairs and possibly Warp Cells, and you will burn through a lot of Tritium and Dihydrogen once you start making Frigate Fuel.
But I want to re-emphasize that the reason not to sell all of these is that they are useful in ongoing gameplay, and their usefulness strongly outweighs the money you will get for selling them, not that they are necessarily super hard to find.

Top Bottom