• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
On the other hand, I had a mission come back where I earned 215 units and a bunch of high value resources (nearly a mil?).
Interestingly, earning 215 units seems to be a feature of many of my frigate missions. Fortunately it's now for one of the encounters and not the whole mission . . .

The best haul recently was when I scored three Fusion Accelerants which go for 1.5mil a piece. Instead of just selling them quickly I hit the wiki and discovered that when you add a simple to manufacture ingredient, you make Portable Reactors, which are worth 4.2mil a pop. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go thru the crafting trouble of building Fusion Ignitors out of them to score something like 18mil a piece. :cool:
I wound up not building Fusion Ignitors as it would have involved gathering materials to make x in order to make y and then make z and I just didn't want to go down that rabbit hole. (Of course I still made 12.6 mil . . . ). What's really cool is that scoring three Fusion Accelerants seems to be a regular thing for my frigate missions as I'm on my third set of three.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
No, but I have found Ossified Stars, Rattle Spines and Capillary Shells, which are the same category of weird crap you pick up on the surface of an exotic biome. I'm pretty sure they're just like trophies you can put in your base to look cool and show off. They're not valuable and they don't do anything.
I put one on the bridge of my freighter where it lights up a dark corner. :)

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
Ran into a number of anamolous worlds lately as well as an abandoned space station with a pre-NEXT floorplan. (It was like old home week).

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Ran into a number of anamolous worlds lately as well as an abandoned space station with a pre-NEXT floorplan. (It was like old home week).
I think that anomalous worlds get more frequent as you get closer to the center of a galaxy.

The abandoned systems are kind of creepy--I have only run into two.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
I think that anomalous worlds get more frequent as you get closer to the center of a galaxy.

The abandoned systems are kind of creepy--I have only run into two.
That's the funny thing, I haven't really been moving toward the center, just drifting around where I've been. So far I've visited two systems with no station and anomaly worlds, (should probably post the screencaps, one them looked to be straight out of Myst), and the one with the abandoned station. And that was out of, like, four or five systems visited.

Abandoned systems are super creepy.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
That's the funny thing, I haven't really been moving toward the center, just drifting around where I've been. So far I've visited two systems with no station and anomaly worlds, (should probably post the screencaps, one them looked to be straight out of Myst), and the one with the abandoned station. And that was out of, like, four or five systems visited.
Yeah I man, anomaly worlds show up everywhere, but as I have been moving toward the center, they start to pop up a lot, so much that I have changed from being excited about them to being more annoyed--they are cool looking but all cool looking in a similar way, and don't have much in the way of useful resources.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
At least from PC players who have gotten into the files, anomalous worlds are a function of the color star, with the ratio changing a bit between galaxies.

The odd planet last weekend wasn't an anomalous world, but a moon in the middle of its planet's rings, which left a "whiteout zone" where the rings passed through the moon.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
At least from PC players who have gotten into the files, anomalous worlds are a function of the color star, with the ratio changing a bit between galaxies.

The odd planet last weekend wasn't an anomalous world, but a moon in the middle of its planet's rings, which left a "whiteout zone" where the rings passed through the moon.
Oh I found a cool one of those once, this lush moon with deep red grass that was bisected by a planet's rings.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
In my recent travels I've picked up another couple of glitches-as-decorations items that now adorn my base. One of them is a floating metallic cube and another is a subscale monolith a la 2001.

I accepted a mission blind from the Explorer's Guild to go hunt down pirates. I couldn't find a way to abandon the mission, because space combat eludes me, and so I took on said pirates for about 15 seconds before giving up. I have no idea what happened but somehow I had destroyed the pirate ship. Mission complete!

It's also kind of annoying when you can't land on your own freighter due to conflict in the system.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
It's also kind of annoying when you can't land on your own freighter due to conflict in the system.
Agreed. That is super annoying. But at this point I have no trouble mopping the floor with enemy starships, so I just sigh and beat 'em all up and go about my business.

Space combat is pretty easy--the best way to do it is just to remain stationary and pivot around to shoot at enemies when they get close enough. You need to trick out your ship with shield upgrades and (secondarily) weapon upgrades, but with those in place, space fights are a cake walk. The value of shield upgrades (both to your ship and to you) cannot be understated.

This weekend I found a really cool Mega Exotic "Ultraviolet" world in an Indium system with huge (I mean HUGE) mushrooms, as in so tall that I can't jetpack up to the top even with a tricked out and upgraded jetpack, and storm crystal storms. I dropped a base there.

I have finished the Artemis path questline and I am now moving quickly through the Atlas path. I don't have all maximum size s-class ships but my ships are good enough and I don't care about completism really, so I may be slowly nearing the end of what I actually want to be doing with this game. Not bad for 120 hours of gameplay so far.

Top Bottom