• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
I'm looking forward to this of course, but not hitting "excited" just yet. Nice trailer, but more players and riding animals was the only new thing I saw.

Planets still look to be 4 solid colors- grass/trees/water/sky. I understand that you're supposed to go to different planets for different biomes, but this scheme means that they STILL all look and feel essentially exactly the same. It's STILL a universe of distinctions without any difference. (it's still utterly gorgeous and worth spending time in, of course!)

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
Today's the day! Notes are up: https://www.nomanssky.com/beyond-update/

The one thing I'm already super hyped about is improved recipes for materials so I don't have to go to a google doc linked from the wiki to see how to make a game-stopping element. :D

Wow, TONS of QOL in here!

EDIT: and I've never had anything to do with VR gaming and I doubt I ever will... but those features look AMAZING o_O

Last edited:

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's a lot of changes! 😮

The VR stuff sounds very cool. I guess I'll find out tonight

Bobaloo

New World Man
Validated User
Got to play 20-30 quick minutes this morning on the PS4. Was powering up base equipment, but crashed. :shruggie: Had to get on to work.

Biggest "oh wow" moment was with the new mobile NPCs. A ship landed on the landing pad and the guy got out and started checking his ship. Trading screen then had him act natural in the NPC frame, but it seemed more natural that the forced perspective shift from before.

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had a brief go of NMS-VR. It could use a few more optimisation passes, but I like the VTOL VR-esque motion spaceship controls, and the analysis gui will be really nice once they smooth out the judder from my shaky arms a bit. Unfortunately, smooth performance is really crucial in VR to prevent motion sickness, so I guess I'll return to screen for a patch or two.

(At least it only crashed once for me, which is better than a lot of people had according to the Reddit thread...)

Last edited:

nikink

Rampant Green
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not playing on VR, here, nor do I care about the multiplayer. So my hopes rested on QoL improvements....

Sigh.

So many glitches and bugs. I'm on an ocean planet having just acquired the submarine. The ocean is much *nicer* to look at... but... no... it isn't? Like lots of fish and crystal things and interesting things are present, yet the graphics have made 90% of my undersea experience completely washed out and fuzzy. Above water The world looks godawful - the horizon shows jagged hills.. entirely a visual artefact since this is literally ocean. The water looks terrible from above or below. I'm getting nagged every 5 minutes about some new item awaiting my inspection in my cargo space - thanks game, now fark off please. (Also, to close the info screen I have to right click, cool, except that also fires my grenades, so within 30 seconds of opening the game I had killed myself - funny story, the revamped terrain had spawned massive crystals around me at my save point so my grenade went off in my face.)

Unrelated to Beyond, I think, is that my submarine is terrible to pilot. Being on PC means I don't get first person view, apparently? It's also slow - the next step in my quest is to located the submerged freighter six gorramn hours away by sub. That's six hours real time so far as I can make out. Of doing NOTHING save holding down 'w' and vaguely steering away from rocks. It will take me an hour to get to my spaceship, but that won't help complete the quest cuz the world has almost no islands to land on anyway, so the odds of finding one closer is next to nil anyway. I am sadly frustrated.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
Been waiting with bated breath for this update, but I'm wondering if I should wait a little more for a round of bug fixes. :giggle:

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
It's too long a story to go into here but I downloaded the first version of the game yesterday morning. I didn't get internet back until late this morning. I played a good bit of the game but it went crash happy last night and became unplayable right before I got back on the net. First thing I did was update the game and it's been pretty smooth sailing since. I notice some hesitant graphics artifacts but nothing too bad. (I'm not doing VR).

Gameplay-wise I love the wandering NPCs and the resource slots can now hold huge amounts so juggling things around is not an issue anymore. The graphics have improved quite a bit, lots of little details now. The new resources are intriguing but I'm not sure what to do with the food items. :)

On the downside, I don't like the new Discovery screen as the previous one was much more concise.

Still wringing it out . . .

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
Been waiting with bated breath for this update, but I'm wondering if I should wait a little more for a round of bug fixes. :giggle:
FWIW They've already pushed a patch or two out in the 24hrs, tho I don't see documentation for them.

Top Bottom