• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
On the bad side . . .

The Roamer got nerfed speed-wise, now it moves at the speed of a lawn tractor.

I'm not sure how many updates ago it was but at one point the Roamer became invisible. If it wasn't for the little car icon I would never have found it. I then proceeded to drive it back to base where I made it reappear on its pad by hitting the summoning control.

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Anyone know if the VR controls are set up for Vive Wand controllers or just for Index controllers?
The controls work with the wands.

The burst of patches seem to have improved VR performance, though it's still pretty demanding.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
So, if you're going to salvage a ship, make sure you have a recent manual save first.

I claimed a wrecked shuttle with the intent of fixing it up just enough to limp to space, then switching back to my trusty Radiant Pillar until I had the resources to do more. But something went weird, and my RP -- and its valuable cargo -- were gone. I couldn't interact with it, and after reloading the last autosave, it had completely disappeared. It also didn't show up in the "select other ship" menu.

Luckily I'd encountered a save beacon earlier, so I "only" lost an hour of progress rather than having to start over.

oof. I haven't yet but my plan was to start over. I have most of a base, several starships, and some progress along the all the quest lines, but nothing special.

They even bragged in the notes about improving the quest lines and starting experience!
I honestly didn't mind the quest to patch my wreck of a starship back into working condition all that much.

What I mind is being forced to build and upgrade a base up to a required tech level before they'll let me have a goddamn hyperdrive.

I still love the game, but it feels like each update is taking it farther away from what I loved about it in the first place.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
So, if you're going to salvage a ship, make sure you have a recent manual save first.

I claimed a wrecked shuttle with the intent of fixing it up just enough to limp to space, then switching back to my trusty Radiant Pillar until I had the resources to do more. But something went weird, and my RP -- and its valuable cargo -- were gone. I couldn't interact with it, and after reloading the last autosave, it had completely disappeared. It also didn't show up in the "select other ship" menu.

Luckily I'd encountered a save beacon earlier, so I "only" lost an hour of progress rather than having to start over.

I honestly didn't mind the quest to patch my wreck of a starship back into working condition all that much.

What I mind is being forced to build and upgrade a base up to a required tech level before they'll let me have a goddamn hyperdrive.

I still love the game, but it feels like each update is taking it farther away from what I loved about it in the first place.
What bothered the hell out of me before is that I couldn't get anywhere close to building my dune-buggy because I couldn't find a fire-planet element for the farming quest.

So are you saying that's the same as before or actually worse????

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
I only barely interacted with the base building before, so I can't really say. It's never been what interested me about the game.

nikink

Rampant Green
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Same. My base is two rooms and a corridor, just bige enough to click through quests and get the tech I needed to continue exploring. Once I could afford a freighter everything got shoved into it. Base building is not my thing.

I also hate the slow feel to the vehicles now. I don't know if they're actually slower or not, though? I don't have a preupdate game to compare. My walking speed is about 2-3u/s, my skimmer speed is ~13u/s, my sub is ~11u/s.

Yet I *feel* like I'm moving faster when walking. My vehicles feel sluggish as hell. It's a weird effect I mostly noticed from seeing my objective being 16 hours walk away, then dropping to 4 hours by skimmer away.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
I also hate the slow feel to the vehicles now. I don't know if they're actually slower or not, though? I don't have a preupdate game to compare. My walking speed is about 2-3u/s, my skimmer speed is ~13u/s, my sub is ~11u/s.

Yet I *feel* like I'm moving faster when walking. My vehicles feel sluggish as hell. It's a weird effect I mostly noticed from seeing my objective being 16 hours walk away, then dropping to 4 hours by skimmer away.
Like I said upthread, the Roamer definitely feels slower. :(

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Has anyone tested how fast the new animal mounts are?
Depends on how big and how quick. I saw vid of somebody riding a giant biped mantis thing, and it devoured the distance because of its stride and height. Another vid of a dude sitting on a turtle thing that moved slower than a walking pace.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
Dear lord that Roamer speed is awful. I hope there is a tech upgrade that restores its speed. I'm also not happy with the base power issue because of course buildings don't have internal wiring between rooms. I had a complex base with multiple storage units which all need power now and the wiring was a nightmare. So I deleted it. I'm going to build a wooden shack on a beach planet somewhere....

Top Bottom