• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
That's a fun rundown of your experience, thanks. :D

A couple quick-tips just for things you might not be discovering-as-you-go-as-intended:
-exiting your ship is an auto-save every time.
-planets are all one biome (tho they may vary in terms of land/sea coverage)

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
And yeah.... for everyone.... despite nearly daily small patches, the game remains fairly glitchy. Have patience either in or out of game for a while. :p

Donald K.

Eat a bee today!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The VR is impressively immersive, but it's a damn shame that it's sooo blurry. I was much more impressed with the graphics in 2D, but then I'm not in space weeeeeeee! We're talking late original Xbox texture quality, with Morrowind-on-console levels of fog most of the time. Really blurry text.

But you're in space!

I also really wish the PS4 Move controllers had joysticks on them. Smooth movement would be great, but when it's just in a straight line, and your turn is bound to X and O, navigation is difficult. Everything else (excluding the spaceship again) about the VR controls is great.

I've learned a handful of words, found a space station, upset some aliens by trying to practice talking with them, and then went back home to build a wood cabin with windows. Now I have a place to hide and not freeze that isn't a just a cavern.

Peers

Order of Cleansing Flame
Validated User
Have gotten to the point where I need to do missions to raise my standing. Only one of the offered missions raises standing (well, that doesn't involving killing Sentinels or whatnot). I need to find 250 of a thing (Phosphorus, I think). There is none in the shop and scans indicate no planet I have ever been to has it. So... I'm supposed to just fly around randomly, looking for it?

(Also, a question for later: If I trade my ship for someone else's ship, does -everything- in the cargo bay go with it? And will there be a way to build a ship instead of just randomly finding one I like and catching the captain before he takes off with a quick "Hey, how much for the ship?")

Bobaloo

New World Man
Validated User
Phosphorus is found on Scorched (Solanium) planets. There are also some refiner recipes if you have access to Medium/Large refiner: https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Phosphorus

Ship trading: If you are trading one for one, you need to make sure to transfer your goods. I just realized I haven't done a starship trade since they added the ability to move upgrades, so IDK if you can do that now or still lose them. Further, if you have your capital ship already, you can own up to six starships, so you don't have to worry about the cargo transfer if you can afford to buy and keep both. There is not ship building at this time. You can use the analysis visor to get a quick class/slots/value of a ship just by scanning it though.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
Have gotten to the point where I need to do missions to raise my standing. Only one of the offered missions raises standing (well, that doesn't involving killing Sentinels or whatnot). I need to find 250 of a thing (Phosphorus, I think). There is none in the shop and scans indicate no planet I have ever been to has it. So... I'm supposed to just fly around randomly, looking for it?
fwiw doing missions is not the only way to raise standing, just the most reliable. You can also gift racial items to npcs for a boost. There might be something to the new linguistics minigame as well, and then random clickable terminals during exploration will occasionally give you a rep boost with that system's faction.

My google-fu is weak, but I believe since Beyond, identifying where to get or how to fabricate resources you need is spelled out (at least partially) in the Guide tab (or is the Log?)

(Also, a question for later: If I trade my ship for someone else's ship, does -everything- in the cargo bay go with it? And will there be a way to build a ship instead of just randomly finding one I like and catching the captain before he takes off with a quick "Hey, how much for the ship?")
You have to manually move cargo during the ship exchange. You should get a warning about it if you try to swap without the cargo being empty. I'm pretty sure you can swap technology in this step too! (one of the best QOL features is being able to freely move technology. DO THAT ASAP IN YOUR EXOSUIT AND YOUR SHIP TO FREE UP CARGO SPACE!)

Top Bottom