• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] No Man's Sky - what do I need to know?

Iralith

Validated User
Hey all--

I recently started playing again, sucked in by VR after a vast amount of time away. (From this, infer that I have a kind of a weird set of assets, the result of extensively playing the launch version of NMS and not playing it a lot after that.) I'm in search of advice--quite possibly attitudinal advice rather than anything practical.

I guess I'll spoilerblock this, though I doubt I really need to.

Spoiler: Show
So OK, I'm at the point where I'd like to go to the galaxy center. The apparent "fast" way to do that is black holes: jump to a black hole, go through it, repeat. I haven't finished the Atlas path as it happens, so I need to get black hole coordinates from Polo.

Thing is, this is pretty dull. I'm at 520,000 light years away, which I guess is good since I started at 660,000 or so. But still . . . like, I log in, make a warp cell or two, do a couple of black holes, log out. Tedious stuff. I'm no stranger to this sort of monotony, having made a couple of Colonia runs in Elite--but I dunno, man, I feel like I'm missing some way to speed things up a little, or make the trip fun. Maybe not, though?

My current ship has a decent jump range; I don't have hyperdrive upgrades, but aside from shaving off the occasional jump en route to a black hole, would they really help me here?

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
With 3 s-class hyperdrive upgrades, my jump range went from ~110 ly to about 1200 ly. I don't know how much time that would save you if you're looking for black holes, but it's a pretty dramatic upgrade.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
And is it still the case where black holes get you there faster overall, but not as much as you would expect, since the vast distances they're jumping you are virtually random directions?

Iralith

Validated User
Hmm: 110 --> 1,200 is a much bigger range multiplier than I'd imagined. My current ride's range is a rather excellent 547, 529 without the one S-class upgrade I've got on there; based on those numbers I wouldn't have expected a huge jump with another upgrade or two. But . . . again, hmm!

moondog, that's about right. It's not nothing, though: my last hop was ~5,000, and I seem to recall hitting about 4,000-5000 per black hole as a rule.

Iralith

Validated User
A third hmm: upgrades get me to 1,185. Probably worth some straight jumping toward the core, 'til I get bored of having to refuel constantly. Might be quicker than my current loop.

Top Bottom