• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] Steven Universe

Scutarii

Validated User
Spoiler stuff: I'm only part way through season 1, feel free to spoil away anything from episodes 1-32, I'll keep watching but please let me try and catch up before droping big bombshells!

So I mentioned to a friend I really enjoyed the new She-Ra, with immediate excitement she then told me I should watch Steven Universe. I had heard the name before through general osmosis but knew nothing about it before I started to watch it. I am now 32 episodes in and see that there is a LOT more to go. I'm pretty excited!

First up I did find it really slow going to start with and if my friend hadn't been poking me along I'd probably have given up before episode 10 or so. Steven was (well, kinda still is) a bit annoying. That does make sense, he's what, 8 or 9 years old? So sure, annoying kid but he catalyses story so it works.

Probably the big turning point was when Pearl offers to teach Steven how to swordfight. She immediately jumped to favourite character status. Who wouldn't want an older sister who will teach you how to swordfight! Plus we learned that Gems don't die when they get stabbed.

Another stand out was when the team goes to Rose's secret healing fountain (also telling us that Gems can be hurt, maybe killed?). Pearl gets to hang off Garnet and over dramatise like mad, further cementing her as the best character ( ;) ). She not only gets to swordfight, she's also - due to her high strung nature - able to chew scenery for audience amusement.

That good episode is followed by a two parter with a new Gem turning up but - maybe it's just me - all sorts of forboding stuff. There's more going on then just heartwarming family flavoured hi-jinks. First up Lapis is great, nice design and why not steal an ocean to travel the stars? The big thing though is early on the Gems act like they don't know what's going but Lapis accuses them of knowing she was trapped in the mirror. Then right at the end when she finally goes home there's an exchange where the Gems question what happens now. To me that suggests they know a lot more than they let on and were lying earlier in the episode. Plus they have a room full of Gems in floating red bubbles...

Most recent episode has them going to dinner with Connie's family (incidentally she and Steven are adorkable when together) and, while it played out in comedic fashion, the 'subtle message' (were those quoation marks big enough?) was super nice. Steven's family is different, it's not nuclear, but he can't - and won't - hide it and gets upset when someone tries to make him. I don't remember us seeing him angry at Connie before. No TV for 1000 years! I wonder if that also means no internet...

So...yeah. Liking it a lot, looking forward to keeping watching.

As for the other characters. At first I was dissapointed with Greg. Felt like a lazy 'deadbeat dad', Homer Simpson type joke. But he's proved himself to be a lot more interesting than that. A different kind of emotional guide for Steven and I admit to feeling a bit bad about thinking he was a generic 'loser' stereotype for living in his van, owning a rundown carwash, balding (kinda, that's some luxurious hair round the back) and overweight.

Garnet feels like a cipher. Kind of the rock around which everyone else's hi-jinks revolve. She brooks no foolishness. Can also deliver a line deadpan "Oh no, the children are dead. Don't call again".

Amethyst I don't really like. She's loud, boisterous, slovenly and obnoxious. Had a brief moment during the wrestling episode where she threatened to have a bit more depth (wanted to be allowed ot have a chance to express herself without the rest of the family stopping her) but that's not really been picked up on again in 20 episodes so...eh?

---

I have a cis-het white male perspective, would love to hear if there are things in there that I completely missed or could be interpreted differently that someone with a different perspective did see. (e.g.: I read an interesting article on She-Ra where someone suggested Bow was gender non-conforming because in the one chance he had to go topless he instead is dressed to bind his chest. I utterly missed that as it's just not an experience I've even tangentially come across before).

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
32 episodes in - let me just check where you are so I don't accidentally spoil anything.

Okay, you're past "Coach Steven" and "Space Race", which are early standouts for me, and not yet up to the episode where the thing happens and we find out about another thing. Cool.

I saw a few of the early episodes out of order on cartoon Network, and it was okay. Something I'd watch when it happened to be on, and then I happened to turn on the TV halfway through "Coach Steven," just as Pearl started to sing, and I was hooked. It's a very human family drama that happens to feature Magical Space Rocks. I love all these dorks.

So, about your final paragraph. The show is a dense text. At first it seems episodic, but as you have already seen, it builds on what has come before. I'm sure you've missed stuff in the early episodes (I certainly did) but I can't really go into any detail yet because it's a potential minefield of spoilers, and with this show it's worth letting things happen at their own pace.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
This show has way more mythology and background than it really has any right to, for how basically silly the overall premise happens to be. All of the characters get good arcs, the music is top-notch and I kind of want to hug all of them.

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
Steven Universe quickly catapulted past Adventure Time for me as my favorite animated TV series. Not a spoiler, but it will continue to surprise you, entertain you, impress you, and will never disappoint you.

Weebles

Validated User
I'd like to see what you think in about ten episodes, as well as in twenty (ie after the end of the first season). For... reasons.
Glad you're enjoying it overall. I quite loved it myself. :)

Scutarii

Validated User
32 episodes in - let me just check where you are so I don't accidentally spoil anything.

Okay, you're past "Coach Steven" and "Space Race", which are early standouts for me, and not yet up to the episode where the thing happens and we find out about another thing. Cool.

I saw a few of the early episodes out of order on cartoon Network, and it was okay. Something I'd watch when it happened to be on, and then I happened to turn on the TV halfway through "Coach Steven," just as Pearl started to sing, and I was hooked. It's a very human family drama that happens to feature Magical Space Rocks. I love all these dorks.

So, about your final paragraph. The show is a dense text. At first it seems episodic, but as you have already seen, it builds on what has come before. I'm sure you've missed stuff in the early episodes (I certainly did) but I can't really go into any detail yet because it's a potential minefield of spoilers, and with this show it's worth letting things happen at their own pace.
Oh yes, the spaceship was super fun. How desperate she was to get back out there, it was super endearing.

This show has way more mythology and background than it really has any right to, for how basically silly the overall premise happens to be. All of the characters get good arcs, the music is top-notch and I kind of want to hug all of them.
I've been finding that I much prefer animation nowadays to live action stuff. I think part of it is that in an animated scene everything that happens is intentional which means if you like to do online analysis and discussion then all the little details are valid to bring up in a way that they might not be in something live action. There's no issues with lighting or health and safety or the complications of getting a camera angle so when the scene is lit a certain way, the characters framed a certain way, etc. it's intentional.

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
Greg is such a warm loving dad. His relationship with Steven is such a good role model for kids

Kreuzritter

Validated User
yeah, you are going to be in for a treat with the next stretch. you my friend, are about to hit The Good Stuff

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
the other thing I love about Steven Universe is that it is so re-watchable. I have watched episodes three sometimes four times and they never get old.

Top Bottom