• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] Steven Universe

Scutarii

Validated User
Things I learned today:
1. Amazon EventBridge is a thing
2. Gems get left behind by the speed of light

===Spoilers up to S4 E12 "Adventures in Light Distortion"===

Warping in Garnet and Steven find Pearl kneeling right in front of the Warp Pad (how long has she been there like that?), she apologises for before but Steven cuts her off. Greg has been kidnapped and that's so far up the list of priorities that all else is forgiven. They tell Amethyst and Pearl that Blue Diamond took him (and thus was on Earth) and while Amethyst is kinda excited by that (She's never met a Diamond if she joined the Gems after the war, and she only saw Yellow Diamond when Peridot contacted her) Pearl freaks out.

No time for that! Steven asks what Blue Diamond wants with Greg they end up thinking...a human zoo...which is apparently legit? Pink Diamond abducted humans for a zoo she kept? Why? Trophies apparently but...Gems don't really get organic life that much so I can't imagine the human prisoners lasted very long. Hmmm. Dark.

They plan to use the Ruby's spaceship to go out into the Universe...to rescue Greg...new concept album: Intergalatic Space Prisoner. Quick cut to the ship. Peridot is giving the ship a once over and wants to change the Ruby's settings. He asks Connie to protect Beach City while they're gone. Peridot mentions 'lightkites' which would be the ships the Crystal Gems used when they arrived on Earth and were in use during the war? Steven is in a huge hurry, dismissing any attempts at calibrating the ship, not willing to wait for Connie (and thus not able to fuse into Stevonnie if they need her Jasper level asskickin' skills). At a guess...he's acting like Pearl after she tricked Garnet into fusing. Monofocused on getting Greg back (aka: finding Peridot) as an achievable goal he can work towards. He probably feels guilty for ignoring the explicit advice he was given about it being dangerous repeatedly and then bringing his dad into it and getting him kidnapped.

Once in space they run into the same asteroid field that Steven floated in (that's...very close to Earth come to think of it...debris from the war?) and then the Rubies...who they just left floating out here. Steven says to pick them up on the way back. They need the gravity engine to cover the distance as it'll be 70 years at this speed. It probably works by redefining the speed of light! Totally normal. It's kinda like just defining the uncertaincy principle as equal to 1...

The gravity engine makes the Gems change into Ruby sized versions of themselves. Seems Peridot's calibration was more important than they thought. They're calibrated to Ruby size with the engine running! Steven fiddles the numbers but keeps making things worse and worse. Until one big red X appears and he presses it. They super speed like crazy! The Gems vanish, poofed into their Gems by Steven, he is pressed into his chair and barely able to move. He has to fight super gravity to reach out and touch the console, trying and failing, bursting into tears as he realises what he's done in his haste. Errors and mistakes compounding, ignoring adive he got Greg into trouble and maybe hurt, then not taking precautions and ignoring Peridot's (the expert) advice he got the Gems hurt and...and...he's lost his Dad and he's never had to face that he'd be in a world where that was a thing.

He manages to press the button, shutting down the engine. The Gems pop right back (so not poofed then) and Pearl explains what happened. Their bodies are made of light so going faster than light left their forms behind. Amethyst loved it. She consoles Steven and he admits ot what he's done. And we end on a shot of a giant pink space station in orbit over another planet.

Going at a decent speed (eh! eh? no? awww) now. I do have to wonder what's going to be on there. Blue Diamond supposedly knows about it and is taking/taken Greg there so they're breaking into a facility with Blue Diamond (and any of her soliders?) on board to steal the new pet huamn she kidnapped from under her nose...

shikomekidomi

Validated User
2. Gems get left behind by the speed of light
I think that might be because it's FTL, actually, which is why the gem's light bodies can't keep up when the ship's systems aren't working properly. Admittedly, it achieves FTL by 'altering the speed of light' but maybe when it's not calibrated properly it doesn't alter it by the same amount for the gems inside? Oh well, it was a cool effect, anyway.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
No comment on the different gem sizes? Shame, I like the fact that such a small ship has a setting for the diamonds in it.
I figure they never really plan on using such a ship, but if something happens and they do, they sure as heck aren’t going to Ruby size for the trip.

UtterConfusion

Rainbow Person
Validated User
I don't think Steven changed how fast they were going at all. He just shut off the system that shields the passengers from the drive's side effects.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I figure they never really plan on using such a ship, but if something happens and they do, they sure as heck aren’t going to Ruby size for the trip.
I honestly kind of assume all the ships have the same OS.

Also regarding the ship, it gives you an idea of how powerful the Gems are tech level wise. Since it creates a singularity next to the ship in order to make it fly FTL.

And that's the kind of ship they let Rubies drive. Like they give those ship to grunt troops with the brains of a rock.

Scutarii

Validated User
Ahh yes, one of the best jokes in the show. :)

"A-Amethyst turn into a chair, I need to sit down."
That was pretty good :)

I honestly kind of assume all the ships have the same OS.

Also regarding the ship, it gives you an idea of how powerful the Gems are tech level wise. Since it creates a singularity next to the ship in order to make it fly FTL.

And that's the kind of ship they let Rubies drive. Like they give those ship to grunt troops with the brains of a rock.
One of them did mention they were surprised they let Rubies have a ship with that engine!

Did the size dial show us any new types of Gem we haven't seen before?

Top Bottom