• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] Steven Universe

Scutarii

Validated User
Well, they’re all called “Amethyst” (just as all Rubies are “Ruby,” all Peridots are “Peridot,” etc.) The number designation is the actual individualizing element.

I wonder if Rubies even get that? The squad we’ve seen all seem happy to be called “Ruby,” and the one Steven calls “Eyeball” hates not being called by her name.
Hmmm. I read the Ruby not liking the name as it being very reductive - named after just a physical feature like that. Calling someone 'freckles' is unlikely to win you friends.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
As a sidenote our Amethyst is bigger but weirdly out of proportion compared to Blue Diamonds.
This line confused me for a bit, until I remembered that Amethyst had shapechanged herself bigger for this part of the episode, which you hadn't mentioned.
If they're from Earth then aren't they Pink Diamonds? I guess like Jasper jumped ship to Yellow Diamond so too did these Amethysts.
If Pink Diamond is dead, it only makes sense for her people to be reassigned to the remaining Diamonds. I wouldn't expect them to be allowed to just operate independently of the Gem social structure, with no leadership.
Anxieties about not being a 'proper' Amethyst? Out the window immediately, no one here seems even remotely phased by her being half their size. The Jasper we see next is way skinnier than the now corrupted Jasper on Earth.
Remember that rushed Beta Kindergarten, the one where Peridot could go through and spot, at a glance, defects in practically every Gem's incubation? I think the gems that resulted had a larger degree of physical variation than standard (compare them to the Rubies). Though, the Rubies had different personalities too, so that's not to undercut your greater point about gems not really being identical.

Blue Diamond is sad and evil. The former doesn't preclude the latter, but without the occasional reminder the audience might forget.

I feel like that bit at the end was another nice peak into Pearl the successful revolutionary, turning the tables on Holly Blue Agate effortlessly.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The big thing for Amythest's number is that she HAS a number. That the Famythest remembered it is joyful but, for the first time, she has a core identity … she wasn't just a rock that fell out of a wall and lived a thousand years of loneliness, she found her BIRTHNAME and in the process found she had siblings and cousins and a FAMILY and they weren't all big and awesome and ashamed of "the freak" but were all dorks and a little weird and she fit in PERFECTLY.

For the first time in her life, she well and truly BELONGED, not as the "kid sister" or "the foundling gem" but with her family and, man, the bubbly confidence that this gives her is absolutely infectious.

As for the Diamonds? You're spot-on with the details, especially Blue finding the steel in her spine for a moment, reminding us that, oh yes, she's a DIAMOND, one of the three rulers of an interstellar empire, not just some moeblob that cried all the time. And that she can be utterly TERRIFYING when needed. And then as soon as the official need passed, she collapsed again, showing that, yes, Yellow was clearly doing the job for both of them for the most part.

And then we got a ton more detail about Pearls, which we knew, and see that they're all decorations, but unlike Peridot, who didn't know what music *was*, they're adept at acting, dancing, and singing, there to entertain their Diamonds. Cosplayers had been fluttering around them since they got introduced but after this, you were getting all KINDS of Pearls out there. As with anything Steven Universe, don't go searing for images: spoilers are EVERYWHERE. But if youwant some, just ask and we got your back. :D

And, yes, the switch between "What's the use of feeling blue?" and "What's the use of feeling, Blue?" is subtle but *awesome*.

The SU crew does music so dang well.

Psalmanazar

A Friend And Boy
Validated User
It's easy to miss, but WTUoFB also just casually drops what Lapis was doing on Earth- she was a terraformer. Which nicely explains her power set and why she was basically a walking eco-catastrophe in her first appearance. There's a lot of fan-speculation that she was involved in making the kindergartens, since they're canyons- and canyons are usually formed by water erosion.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Okay, so a lot to unpack here.

First the Famethyst. I think everything that has been said is already been said: Turns out Peridot was right in Too far: Aside from her size Amethyst is just like other Quartz. I mean you expect them all to be feral brutes like Jasper was, but Jasper was the exception, and the only other Jasper we see (Skinny) is super chill.

Also I love the fact that the Amethysts come in after Greg and Steven rile up the Zoomans to.....comfort and console them. Emotional support Amethysts!

And then we get Holly Blue. AKA your hate sink for this evening. Pretty much every gem we've encountered thusfar has been at least a bit sympathetic. Even Jasper, even the All powerful all feared Diamonds (And more on that in a bit). But Holly Blue. She's just.... well, Thor, what's your assessment?

Pretty much.

I mean, pretty much every gem we've seen has been a victim of the Diamonds oppressive regime. Forced to do jobs they hate, not allowed to express themselves or be themselves. But Holly Blue? She clearly loves what she does, and what she does is be a sadistic bully. Craven and fawning to her perceived betters, and needlessly cruel and bullying to her subordinates. Which is why the Famethysts instantly side with the Crystal gems when they put Holly in her place.

And another interesting note about What's the use of feeling blue is it gives us some insights about some Gem functions. Agate's are meant to "terrify" (Which means its Holly Blue's job to be a domineering bully. Let that sink in) and Lapis "Terraform" (So Lapis was sent to help terraform the colony. She's effectively a giant sub pump. It makes me wonder if other Lapises have other elemental affinities, or if those are other gems that move earth and other things).

We also get to see the depths of the Diamonds pettiness. How they captured and imprisoned an entire class of gem, basically an entire race of people, for the crimes of just one of them.

Finally. its worth noting the Crewniverse took some flak over the fact they made the Diamonds sympathetic. With some of the more chunkhead members of the fandom even saying its a defense of Fascism. Because apparently it never occurs to people that even terrible villains can have loved ones or complex feelings and still be terrible fucking people.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Also, in the Amethyst vs Jasper fight way back, Jasper flinches back from Amethyst’s whip at one point. Whips are an Agate weapon and it might be Agate power is the electric shocks- so perhaps a sign Jasper’s met whipping Agates before.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Also, in the Amethyst vs Jasper fight way back, Jasper flinches back from Amethyst’s whip at one point. Whips are an Agate weapon and it might be Agate power is the electric shocks- so perhaps a sign Jasper’s met whipping Agates before.
We also see Peridot flinch when Steven makes a towel whip in the Bathroom.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
We don't know if Whips are an Agate weapon in particular, since there does seem to be some variety in weapons in gem categories (Rubies having a dagger/shortword and a gauntlet, for example), but it might be evidence that Jaspar might have run into this particular Agate.

Top Bottom