• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP] [WIW] Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (The live-action series)

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The actress playing Queen Beryl gave a good performance. Well, I don't know if it was good objectively, but her Beryl was more interesting to watch than the anime's. There is a certain amount of hamming up, but this is expected in any sentai show.

Last edited:

Aquantis

Validated User
I've seen both the miss dream and the T-N ones, and T-N are the better ones by far. Miss Dream miss translates some things questionably at times, to the point of completely changing the meaning of a scene. T-N does take some liberties, and liked to leave Japanese phrases in once they've been noted once and they also keep honorifics (they've been doing super sentai subs for a long time now, and that is the style they use for those as well). Both groups are good and correcting mistakes when people point them out when they release an episode (not sure if they will fix anything that's been out for a while). Only downside is that TV-Nihon didn't go back and finish their re-release and upgraded them to the DVD versions (they also cleaned up the script and fixed errors when they did that), so some are still TV rips. Miss Dream and Seas of Serenity both use DVD sources.

I've been told that the Sea of Serenity has the most direct translation of the bunch (but that it doesn't always flow well), but have not seen them, so I don't know how true it is. I would suggest getting the Sea of Serenity or TV-Nihon subs for the next few eps, as the Miss Dream ones are really misleading (Miss Dream does a lot of good work, I just don't like how they change the meaning of things and remove nicknames and honorifics in a lot of their work).

you can see the Tv-Nihon vs Miss Dream subs issue here (has acts 1-3 examples of translation issues)
Why Miss Dream’s translation of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is terrible and should be avoided

here's the part from that blog that shows an example from Act 1:
Raw:

「あたしだって、本当はあなたみたいに普通すぎる女の子が戦士だなんて信じられないわよ。でも、額の三日月は、あなただって言ってる。」​

T-N:

“I can’t believe that a normal girl like you is a chosen Senshi either. But the crescent on my forehead says that you’re one.”​

Miss Dream:

“You know I didn’t believe that a girl, normal in every way like yourself, could be a soldier. But you’re the only one who has been able to see the crescent on my forehead.”​

How on earth this big of a mistranslation of something very short and straightforward happened is beyond me, but it’s incredibly misleading since nowhere in the original dialog is it stated that only Sailor Senshi can see Luna’s crescent moon.

Nerik the Red

Validated User
Good thing I downloaded Sea of Serenity's:

"Aren't you worried about what will happen to the Earth?
"You know, I couldn't believe such an ordinary girl like you would be a Guardian.
"But the crescent moon on my forehead says that you are."

So I think the "being able to see the crescent" thing was a mistranslation... And another fun fact I remembered is that due to the cat needing a voiceover, Keiko Han must be the one returning cast member from the animated series. (Then Sailor Moon Crystal only let Kotono Mitsuishi reprise her old role, so I once joked that Sailor Moon reboots take the same approach as Jurassic Park sequels.)
I've seen both the miss dream and the T-N ones, and T-N are the better ones by far. Miss Dream miss translates some things questionably at times, to the point of completely changing the meaning of a scene. T-N does take some liberties, and liked to leave Japanese phrases in once they've been noted once and they also keep honorifics (they've been doing super sentai subs for a long time now, and that is the style they use for those as well). Both groups are good and correcting mistakes when people point them out when they release an episode (not sure if they will fix anything that's been out for a while). Only downside is that TV-Nihon didn't go back and finish their re-release and upgraded them to the DVD versions (they also cleaned up the script and fixed errors when they did that), so some are still TV rips. Miss Dream and Seas of Serenity both use DVD sources.

I've been told that the Sea of Serenity has the most direct translation of the bunch (but that it doesn't always flow well), but have not seen them, so I don't know how true it is. I would suggest getting the Sea of Serenity or TV-Nihon subs for the next few eps, as the Miss Dream ones are really misleading (Miss Dream does a lot of good work, I just don't like how they change the meaning of things and remove nicknames and honorifics in a lot of their work).

you can see the Tv-Nihon vs Miss Dream subs issue here (has acts 1-3 examples of translation issues)
Why Miss Dream’s translation of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is terrible and should be avoided
Thanks, both of you, that makes sense, and ties into some of Luna's later dialogue.

Looks like I've got some searching to do.

The actress playing Queen Beryl gave a good performance. Well, I don't know if it was good objectively, but her Beryl was more interesting to watch than the anime's. There is a certain amount of hamming up, but this is expected in any sentai show.
Well, Queen Beryl in the anime didn't do very much (except in flashbacks) (many episodes, she did more in the OC than the actual episode.)
[MENTION=1833]Shadowjack[/MENTION] joked that she spent most of her time playing World of Warcraft.

[HR][/HR]
Ok, a quick look at the actress playing our heroine:

Miyû Sawai

She was just 15 when she got this role, so our teenage protagonist is played by an actual teenager!

She also had a role in the live-action Space Battleship Yamato, and a voice role in Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror of Shambala.

According to WikiMoon, her casting was at the insistence of Naoko Takeuchi.

While I'm at it, a quick look at a put-upon plush kitty:

Keiko Han returns to a role that she voiced in the original anime.
...and she has done a lot of voice work!

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yay, somebody covering my favourite version of the Dark Kingdom arc !

It begins...
And here's a first example why. Both the manga and the first anime series were pretty much written by the seat of their pants ; but this version had the benefit of hindsight and thinking through a good number of plot threads that never really came to much the first time around.

We already knew that (1) Tuxedo Mask was stealing jewels in his search for the Silver Crystal ; and (2) Sailor V was busy fighting crime before the main story started ; so having your first scene be the two of them clashing is a strong statement of intent. It would baffle any newcomer to the franchise (and the show's limited production values certainly do the scene no favours), but it clearly shows to old-timers that this won't be a straight repeat of any of the previous versions. Which is important when the first episode is by necessity a close retelling of Sailor Moon's very familiar origin story.

So, this is Usagi's room.
There's an "making of" special episode that aired the week before that's mostly generic fluff, but did get a fun scene of Usagi's actress pointing out all of the bunnies in the bedroom. (It's been ages since I've watched it, but it's in the high double-digits.) Clearly the set designers were having fun.

Digging deeply into the FX budget.
This being the first episode, the producers put a lot more CG than most of the show would end up using in the average. CG-Luna and the MANOS monster are exceptions rather than the rule.

Mrs. Osaka is on the phone to Naru, looks like she'll be pulling another all-nighter.
It should be noted that Mrs. Osaka is using a mobile phone.
Naru offers to maker her some lunch.
Mrs. Osaka would like some of Naru's special cutlet sandwiches.
For what little we see of it, I really like the Osakas' family dynamic. And Naru gets to show off quite a bit in this episode already.

OOC: a!Jadeite: "On the other hand, alt-me looks sharp!"
Eh, I dunno. His uniform certainly brings out the bling, but there's something about his overall look that makes him look a bit dorky. Maybe it's the blonde wig.

Usagi photos one of the models.
Phone: "Apparel overlay parameters recorded... overlaying."
Suddenly, Usagi is dressed like the model.
Luna: "You can changing into anything you take a photo of. You should find it easy getting in now."
...and she does.
I love what's basically an modernized version of the Disguise Pen ; it makes perfect sense as 2003 technology. (Or, heck, even 2018 tech.)

...was that an addvert buffer? then?
Unlike the anime, the live-action series had two noticeable advert cuts in each episode. (IIRC, there was also another one after the opening credits.) Obviously they're spaced differently, and thus impact the pacing of the show a bit.

Oh dear gods.

As someone who watched (some of) the show as it came out, I only had the TV-Nihon subs available, so that's what I'm familiar with. While I'm aware of their reputation in sentai circles, they did seem to have done a decent enough job. Those Miss Dream subs look outright terrible in comparison.

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
Only downside is that TV-Nihon didn't go back and finish their re-release and upgraded them to the DVD versions (they also cleaned up the script and fixed errors when they did that), so some are still TV rips.
I actually liked that I found a site that was still streaming all of TV-Nihon's TV rips so I could see how the original broadcasts differed. The most common change was that some next-episode previews were cut short on TV to insert promotions for other Sailor Moon stuff going on at the time, but I highly recommend looking up the TV version of episode 29 for having a licensed song, from a band you'll probably recognize, which was replaced with regular background music for the DVD. Also, I think the random photographs containing the moon at the end of the opening were where they listed sponsors for the show. It seems there were never any ending credits in any format.

I guess one downside of Sea of Serenity could be the titles or thumbnails of the downloads: The titles are baked right into the video, even though they were never part of the show proper but apparently something discovered on later media to identify the episodes, so they might be considered spoilerific sometimes.

Nerik the Red

Validated User
Yay, somebody covering my favourite version of the Dark Kingdom arc !

And here's a first example why. Both the manga and the first anime series were pretty much written by the seat of their pants ; but this version had the benefit of hindsight and thinking through a good number of plot threads that never really came to much the first time around.
A 'hidden benefit' of re-makes - knowing where the story is going. (I've mentally dubbed this concept 'continuity back-fill' for some reason.)

We already knew that (1) Tuxedo Mask was stealing jewels in his search for the Silver Crystal ; and (2) Sailor V was busy fighting crime before the main story started ; so having your first scene be the two of them clashing is a strong statement of intent. It would baffle any newcomer to the franchise (and the show's limited production values certainly do the scene no favours), but it clearly shows to old-timers that this won't be a straight repeat of any of the previous versions. Which is important when the first episode is by necessity a close retelling of Sailor Moon's very familiar origin story.
Well, it does tell any hypothetical 'new-to-the-franchise' viewers that this setting features costumed superheros and masked crooks. ;)

There's an "making of" special episode that aired the week before that's mostly generic fluff, but did get a fun scene of Usagi's actress pointing out all of the bunnies in the bedroom. (It's been ages since I've watched it, but it's in the high double-digits.) Clearly the set designers were having fun.

This being the first episode, the producers put a lot more CG than most of the show would end up using in the average. CG-Luna and the MANOS monster are exceptions rather than the rule.
I kinda suspected this, judging from the monster in the next episode preview. ;)

For what little we see of it, I really like the Osakas' family dynamic. And Naru gets to show off quite a bit in this episode already.
I think already this version of mama Osaka has shown more personality than she did in the anime... or the manga.
And this Naru is quick on the uptake - if her life is going to be anything like the anime version, the poor girl's going to need it.

Eh, I dunno. His uniform certainly brings out the bling, but there's something about his overall look that makes him look a bit dorky. Maybe it's the blonde wig.
I was quoting from his POV, his sense of fashion may not be the best. Going to be interesting to see how he develops, assuming he survives beyond Act 3, of course.

I love what's basically an modernized version of the Disguise Pen ; it makes perfect sense as 2003 technology. (Or, heck, even 2018 tech.)
I have considered an update using a smartphone with 'magic' apps, a bit like Stross' Necronomiphone.

Unlike the anime, the live-action series had two noticeable advert cuts in each episode. (IIRC, there was also another one after the opening credits.) Obviously they're spaced differently, and thus impact the pacing of the show a bit.

Oh dear gods.

As someone who watched (some of) the show as it came out, I only had the TV-Nihon subs available, so that's what I'm familiar with. While I'm aware of their reputation in sentai circles, they did seem to have done a decent enough job. Those Miss Dream subs look outright terrible in comparison.
I might watch different episodes from different subbers, and compare, I've found Miss Dream and Sea of Serenity so far.

I actually liked that I found a site that was still streaming all of TV-Nihon's TV rips so I could see how the original broadcasts differed. The most common change was that some next-episode previews were cut short on TV to insert promotions for other Sailor Moon stuff going on at the time, but I highly recommend looking up the TV version of episode 29 for having a licensed song, from a band you'll probably recognize, which was replaced with regular background music for the DVD. Also, I think the random photographs containing the moon at the end of the opening were where they listed sponsors for the show. It seems there were never any ending credits in any format.

I guess one downside of Sea of Serenity could be the titles or thumbnails of the downloads: The titles are baked right into the video, even though they were never part of the show proper but apparently something discovered on later media to identify the episodes, so they might be considered spoilerific sometimes.
Well, considering how spoileriffic some of the anime titles were...

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
She was just 15 when she got this role, so our teenage protagonist is played by an actual teenager!
And Jun Masuo was just turning seventeen when this show aired, so I think that makes Jadeite the only guy played by a teenager here. Not too surprising that his face doesn't scream "evil commander" then. :cool:

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Huh. I guess I need to adjust my axioms. :eek:

Last edited:

ThePhantom

Validated User
This may not be the best first episode of the series, but its good enough and better than some. Lots better connection between characters in this episode than Crystal or the Manga.

Nerik the Red

Validated User
亜美ちゃんが仲間になったわ (Act 2 - Ami Became a Friend)

Episode Number: 2
Director: Ryuuta Tasaki
Writer: Yasuko Kobayashi
Air Date: October 11, 2003
Equivalent Manga Act: 2
Equivalent Anime Episode: 8
(Data taken from wikimoon)

This act, I'm trying out the Sea of Serenity fansubs.

We begin with Usagi giving a brief re-cap of what's happened so far.

I will continue to skip the OC.

We open...

...in the DARK KINGDOM!

Queen Beryl is debriefing Jadeite on the events of the previous act.

Queen Beryl: "So, those little girls have appeared before me once more."
Queen Beryl: "They are likely pursuing it as well."

Jadeite's orders are pretty much 'carry on with your current mission', Queen Beryl conjures up a crystal and gives it to him.

Queen Beryl: "If you continue to gather energy..."
Queen Beryl: "...the day of Earth's desctruction will soon arrive..."

...what?!

Queen Beryl has gone straight through 'megalomaniacle' into 'omnicidal'!

She seems really happy contemplating the Earth's doom.

Cut to... The Crown Game Karaoke Centre!

...and a turtle.

...and a boy who really likes turtles!

...and a girl with a plush cat and a card.

'Usagi Tsukino Multipass'

...actually it's a year-round passport.

He lets her in...

...he's Motoki, isn't he.

OOC: a!Usagi: I think I'm noticing a pattern here, he isn't blond either.

Motoki: "I didn't know we had year-round passports.

Usagi heads through a door...

...which disappears!

...welcome to Sailor HQ.

(Which, to be frank, did not have a huge set budget.)

Usagi dumps her bag on the table, into which has been rather roughly stuffed Luna.

Luna: <groan>

It has all the necessities, bubblegum, popcorn, collections of decorative bottles, flowers, a karaoke machine and a computer terminal.

(Contrast the Manga control centre, which looked like you could use it to run NASA.)

Usagi: "Did you make this place, Luna?"
Luna: "Just borrowed the space for a while."

Seems that only Usagi and other Guardians like her can enter.

Usagi picks up a book that is roughly the size of an old-style telephone book.
...it has a picture of Luna and a crescent moon on the cover.

...and an advert for Minako's latest album inside (we'll get to that).

Luna tries to brief Usagi, whose... not really listening.

Usagi has already started abusing the LunaPhone's disguise app.

(Usagi, you know, there are ethical implications to photographing people on the street).

Usagi: "I'm just no good with complicated discussions..."

She plays with the karaoke machine, while Luna tries to brief her.

Usagi suddenly panics!

She has a test tomorrow...

She empties out her bag (all over the table) and frantically start's studying.

...well, at least she's trying.

Next day... Juuban Municipal Junior High School

Which frankly looks like a '60s pre-fabricated concrete pile.

...and the test results are in...

Naru ranked 15th!

Naru: "I was lucky!"
Usagi: "I could use a bit of that luck!"
Usagi: "How did I do...?"
Usagi: :( (sinks to the floor in despair)
Usagi: "...Mama's going to be really mad again..."
Naru: "Never mind, look who's number one."

It is, of course, Miss Mizuno.

Usagi: "...but she doesn't seem too happy about it at all..."

Two of their classmates show up.
As yet unnamed classmate: "...all she does is study..."
Other classmate: "...and she goes to a prestigious cram school..."
Classmates: "...we don't think she has a life..."
Classmates: "...or friends..."

...she does, however, have hangers-on. We get a brief bio, her mother is a famous doctor, and some students tend to hang around her in the hope that those tasty, tasty test scores will rub off on them.
OOC: a!Usagi: "Great! Now I'm feeling guilty."
a!Ami: "...about palling up to me in the hope that your grades would magically improve?" ;)
a!Usagi: "You knew!?"
a!Ami: "300 IQ, also, if you're not trying to dissemble, you're very easy to read."
a!Ami: "Don't worry, I forgive you."

Classmates: "...frankly, she's a bit of a weirdo... and a little madam."
Usagi: "Stop it! She'll hear you."
Usagi: "...she's so smart, it's like she's from a different world."

Cut to... lunch break.

Usagi swipes part of Naru's lunch.

Ami... goes and has junch on the roof, while studying.

(Ami's lunch.)

She is unaware that she is being stalked by an exceptionally mobile plush kitty.

Luna: "Mooncat senses... tingling..."
Her caste-mark lights up, briefly. (and makes beeping noises).

On her way home (and, I think, on the same bridge that Usagi's face had an unexpected encounter with a plush kitty) Ami finds a plush kitty, lying in the street.

Ami picks her up, politely talks to her while dusting her down, and places her on a nearby wall.

...watched by a rather mystified Usagi.

Usagi: "...err that's mine."
Ami: "you must have dropped her." she walks off.
Usagi (catching up): "Miss Mizuno... why were you so polite to my plush toy?"
Ami: "That's because I didn't know her."
Usagi: :confused:

Montage: Usagi and Ami walking through town, Ami is reserved... Usagi is not.

Ami: "I have to go now, I have cram school."
She turns to leave.
C'est la vie starts playing in the background.
Ami stops to look at a poster promoting Minako's latest album.

Now Mina's just trolling us.

Also, it looks like Ami's also a Minako fan.

(I foresee so many awkward moments in their future.)

...she likes to listen while studying.

Usagi: "She put out a 2nd album recently... got it?"
Ami: "Not yet."
Usagi rummages through her bag.
Usagi: "Here, borrow mine."

...that's totally a bootleg, isn't it.

(even more awkward moments!)

Ami leaves.

Usagi: "She's not how everyone says..."
Usagi: "She's funny!"
Usagi: "...and a normal girl."
Luna: "You're wrong about that last one."
Luna: "She's the second Guardian! I've found her!"

Cut to...
...a skyscraper.

Ami's cram school.

She's greeted by her teacher, who is enthusiastic about her success.

It turns out that Ami wants to become a doctor because that's what her mother wishes.

...and she may have self-esteem issues.
Ami: "Studying is my only virtue."

...she digs out Usagi's copy of Minako's 'Venus' album, and smiles.

That night... the Tsukino household.

Usagi is enthusiastic about Ami joining the team.
Luna: "Well, our shortcoming at the moment is brains."
Luna is hit by a thrown pillow.
Usagi can't wait to tell Ami, and jumps into bed.
She puts her head down, with Luna still under the pillow.
Luna struggles to escape.

Cut to...
...the cram school.

ami and the other students depart.

Sinister music starts!

Jadeite stalks in, places the crystal Beryl gave him at the beginning of the episode on a plinth, next to a pair of terracotta statues, one of a man, the other of a dog.

The statues glow, distort, and vanish.

Jadeite stalkes off.

Ami's teacher is heading down an escalator, she hears something behind her, turns, and starts wishing the escalator could go faster...
...much faster!

Something gets onto the escalator and goes after her.

Ami's Teacher: "Stay Back!"
Ami's Teacher: <scream!>

Something else, dog-like, walks past the camera.

Advert Break.
[HR][/HR]

Last edited:
Top Bottom