• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[LTTP/WIW] Various anime from the 00s and beyond

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I hope you haven't forgotten the other recommendations from the start of the thread :)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm currently watching Mushishi. And Kino's Journey is ready in line. Does that answer your concern ? :p

(Although I do have my own list of stuff I should watch that weren't suggested here ; for example, the Tatami Galaxy was about the last of the "notable noitaminA shows" subset there. Also, I've given up understanding how my algorithm for what to watch next works.)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mushishi
(26 episodes, 2005-2006)

My previous exposure

Suggested in this very thread. Also, wasn't this in JesuOtaku's top anime list ?

What's it about ?

Ginko is a Mushishi, a nomad wise man who wanders around the countryside helping people with their problems with Mushi (mostly invisible, barely alive supernatural creatures who can have a huge impact on one's life if one's not careful).

Each episode is a standalone tale ; a few of them deal with Ginko's past or the general ecosystem of Mushishi, but most just center on a particular case of Mushi happening to people and how Ginko tries to better the situation a bit.

What did I think of it ?

On the one hand, this show does everything right : a charismatic protagonist, gorgeous landscapes, effective storytelling that sketches up a new cast of characters each episode well enough for the watcher to care about them, a genuine sense of wonder about the beauty of Mushi...

But dear gods, this is a depressing series to marathon through. Most of the tales have truly horrific stuff happening to basically decent people because of one moment of carelessness or pride (or just plain bad luck). Very few of these people deserve such fates, and there's a limit to what Ginko can do to help them (especially as he often arrives when it's too late). What makes it worse is that you can't really blame the Mushi either, because they're not really sentient (with a few exceptions, such as the horrifyingly effective changeling tale) and just do what's in their nature. The overall impression is that it just sucks to live in this world.

This has been a harrowing watch, and probably worked better on a weekly format, with enough time to rest between each episode. Don't get me wrong, this is a very good show, but it's a bit too good at telling its stories for me to really love it.

salinea

grievous lack of
Validated User
Interesting take. I found Mushishi to be very peace inducing myself. Yes, horrible things happen for no reasons, but that's life, that's true, and Mushishi focusses on the how people live with that, how people live through that, not how tragic it is.

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
Re: Seirei no Moribito

And this may be the part that doesn't quite click : a big part of the plot hinges on the Emperor being a ruthless asshole as the only explanation for why the more reasonable rest of the cast spends so much time blundering about and working at cross purposes. It feels a bit like forced conflict, with the heavy-handed Message that forgetting (or worse, erasing) old knowledge is Wrong.
I didn't get that feeling at all. The thing is, there was little reason for Balsa to trust any of the Emperor's ninja, and the arrogance of the Star Diviners meant that they weren't going to pay attention to some peasant shaman. The Emperor himself is so walled off from the world by protocol that he barely has any influence on events.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Re: Seirei no Moribito

A few recommendations from yours truly.

Black Lagoon - 2006, 2 Seasons, 12 episodes each. Modern action series, very nicely done with some very tragic characters.

Space Pirate Captain Herlock: Endless Odyssey - 2002, 13 episodes. Space Opera from Leiji Matsumoto.

Dulahan

Validated User
I can sorta get the weekly thing on Mushishi. Honestly, I watched two episodes a night over the course of two weeks or so (Might have been a touch longer, there could have been nights I didn't get the chance). It definitely worked there. and in general slow series are harder to marathon in my experience. doesn't make them bad series, just sometimes you need a bit to let things sink in!

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
Ghost Hound is modern supernatural suspense type show from Production IG and Matsamune Shiro.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mushishi focusses on the how people live with that, how people live through that.
Well, except when they don't. There are many tales where people should have just forgotten about whatever happened and moved on as quickly as possible. It's mind-numbing after a while.

Black Lagoon - 2006, 2 Seasons, 12 episodes each.
Already seen it. It's in my top 5 : top-notch HK movie pastiche with great characters. (Although the recent OVA was a bit below the average of the series.)

Space Pirate Captain Herlock: Endless Odyssey - 2002, 13 episodes. Space Opera from Leiji Matsumoto.
Wait, that can't be right. Is this a remake, or some sort of stand-alone sequel ?

And in other news, I've just reached the "Land of Adults" episode of Kino's Journey. I didn't expect that at all (and certainly not so soon), and it was very creepy indeed. Real knife in the gut, that one.

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

I like Fighting Spirit or Hajime no Ippo.

75 eps for the first series. A movie, 2 Specials, and a second 26 episode series.

A Boxing anime that follows Ippo into the box world from his first step and chance encounter with the Middleweight Japanese Champ Takamura. Follow him as he trains and then steps into the ring with many colorful opponents who are not villains, but people with stories and motivations of their own.

SCRYED

a 26 episode series about People with Powers who are confined to an island on what used to be Yokohama. See how they struggle to survive and fight for survival or impose order with their abilities.

Vandread

a 26 episode series about a Boy from an all male planet meets a girl from an all female planet when a ship from each planet is merged together to form one crew. Hilarity and Action ensues as people learn to live with one other despite different cultures plus awesome Mecha action.

Those are 3 for now.

Top Bottom