• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Mage] Ascension to Awakening hack

Zenoseiya

Retired User
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lrHKrSSrPze8cJlUO0UFBUSW-jShjtB8t4ndPB8_YGM/edit?hl=en&pli=1#

This is a hack I made based on material written by others. What it aims to do is re-envision Ascension using some of the innovations made by Awakening.

Features:

Essences have been made into Path analogues, determining favored resistance attribute, ruling/inferior spheres, nimbuses, and an additional benefit unique to each Essence.

Traditions/Conventions have been changed so that favored spheres now provide a bonus to casting rolls rather than an experience break (this replaces rote skills). Additionally, each tradition/convention has a set of Paradigm Skills that limit what kinds of rotes they can cast. Also, Hollow Ones have become a proper Tradition. See this post: http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=12441236&postcount=145

Each of the Traditions (except the Celestial Chorus and Hollow Ones, and all the conventions) has a unique merit that a mage with status in that tradition can purchase.

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Have you seen Ascension Nova? This is pretty much what we've tried to do (including adding many of the better aspects of the general nWoD, including the cosmology.

Edit: I see that you did. I like your merits, except that I think that every Trad should have a version of High Speech, but all of them wouldn't necessarily be speech - I can see an Akashic geting the high speech bonus for doing katas or mudras, a Verbena for using a rhyming incantation...

Last edited:

Zenoseiya

Retired User
This is pretty much what we've tried to do (including adding many of the better aspects of the general nWoD, including the cosmology.
I have disagreements with your design, namely that it tries to integrate itself with the nWoD. It doesn't really fit together very well.

My hack was designed by taking various bits and pieces of other hacks on the net, and putting together what I thought would work best, while trying to remain true to the oWoD premise. I'm still not completely satisfied with the final result.

I've considered trying to create a hack based on Mage: The Dirty Version instead. I'll probably write a new version based on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom