• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Magic in [FATE]

irate fetus

Retired User
Are there any supplements or splats that have simple rules for magic, preferably something along the lines of DnDs levels/spells per day?
Would these supplements include a list of spells?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kardwill

Validated User
Magic in FATE is more often treated as "one or several skill(s) for magic ways, with stunts for individual advanced powers", for example a "water magic" skill with a few basic spells/uses included and individual stunts like "summon water elemental". There is no hard limit to the number of times they can be used (apart from « once in a scene »), but the most powerfull spells/stunts need a Fate point to be activated.
One example of such a magic system, with spell list, is « Legend of Anglerre »

I don’t know of a vancian, D&D like « fire and forget » magic system for Fate, though.

Mechalus

Validated User
Strands of Fate supports Vancian-style magic via its "Ritual Power" Meta-Power.

It can also do Ars Magica or Mage-style freeform magic, and anything in between.

Check out the link in my sig for a preview.

Jedira Dakhan

Double Vampire!
Check out the files in my sig, both have the same magic system, just different settings. It uses a system of Lores (20 are presented, along with simple rules for making your own).

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
Guy Bowring, my occasional guest blogger on Spirit of the Blank, has been working on FATE-izing AD&D, specifically Greyhawk AD&D. He has a lot of posts on the topic, including several on his magic system, which is neat and pretty loose. They're worth checking out.

Scarik

You die as you live.
Validated User
I always use skills for it and mostly I just leave it vague but for my Fatisation of Final fantasy TA/12 I'm going to be using spell lists that are fairly specific and really restricting them so that what elements they have is a big deal.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
The magic system in my own Tri-Fate Fantasy isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it was designed to feel familiar to people who are used to D&D. It's not even sort of Vancian, but it's simple and it models some of the behaviour of magic in D&D. Instead of spell lists, it's divided up by effect into Skills, each with a couple of ways you can personalize them to fit your spell caster.

irate fetus

Retired User
So how would covering magic via skills work?

So a bard based character could just write "Bardic Magic" and invest points into it, but what dictates the limit of what he can do with the magic? Say, for instance, he wants to create a barrier or shield, how would I handle something like that? Do I just let the players dictate what their skill entails, as long as it's reasonable?

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
So how would covering magic via skills work?

So a bard based character could just write "Bardic Magic" and invest points into it, but what dictates the limit of what he can do with the magic? Say, for instance, he wants to create a barrier or shield, how would I handle something like that? Do I just let the players dictate what their skill entails, as long as it's reasonable?
Well, you could do that if you wanted.

Or you could use a version of Fate where there's some sort of bardic magic Skill defined. I don't own it, but I'd assume that Legends of Anglerre would very likely have something fitting that general foot print. (I don't remember, because I've only skimmed the book the once.) Magic Skills have defined Trappings like other Skills, and you can use Stunts to expand what they can do.

Or you could use something like Kerberos Club and allow players to build their own Skills. There are rules for that. You pay for the Trappings you want and for the additional effects for unusual things the player wants. The system is really flexible in what it allows you to do, so I can't imagine that building a Bardic Magic Skill would be tough at all.

Or you could use something like what's in my sig. If the player wants to put up a barrier, they take the Abjuration Skill and choose which option they want to take. Then add in the Enchantment Skill for placing Aspects on people with your songs. The system isn't perfect, but I think with a little bit of playing around you could get it to cover your bases.

The Unshaven

Validated User
An option to be found in Spirit of the Season basically lets you replace a Skill with your Mysteries (or other renamed magic skill) for one roll at the cost of a FP.

It won't do D&D style magic, but it works pretty well and is very simple. By tailoring the lists of what kind of magic user can swap which specific skills, it's really easy to duplicate Deadlands style magic...

Alternatively, as others have said, Strange FATE from The Kerberos Club is very flexible.

Also, the Dresden Files RPG has a very solid series of approaches to handling magic, but they are Not Rules Lite, so that might be more of a mechanical framework than you're looking for right now, along with the fact that they don't share any of the same assumptions as D&D style magic. I guess it's something to peer at if you're looking for ways FATE has handled magic, but isn't a direct suggestion for what you're seeking.

- The Unshaven

Last edited:
Top Bottom