• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Magic the Gathering as an RPG - actual play?

Ry

Retired User
I've seen "hey, how would you do M:tG as an RPG", a smattering of house rules, and a trailing off from the topic more times than I can remember.

Has anyone actually run a game set in the universe of M:tG? What system did you use? How did it go?

TGryph

Dire Halfling
Validated User
Actually, I was on the playtest back in the day for the official M:TG rpg to be out out by Wizards. It was called "Manastorm", and had it's good points. We playtested the hell out of the thing, and sent back many reports, both good and bad.

Then suddenly, the plug was pulled when Wizards bought out TSR. I came across my old rules and notes, and wanted to post them on this or another website, but when I asked WOTC about it, I was told an emphatic "No!, the NDA is still in effect."

As a game it wasn't too bad...drawing mana cards to power your spells, and dividing up the various mana colors and their characteristics between your attributes..but there were some major problems too.

TGryph

tartex

Minion of Kitchensink
Validated User
If a remember right the very first issue of Dragon magazine after WotC bought TSR featured an article where the writer was talking about a M:tG-campaign-world for AD&D 2nd. Wonder what happened to that. He sounded very convinced it would get published. The Manastorm-thing seems to make more sense though.

Ceti

of the Polepack (retired)
Validated User
If a remember right the very first issue of Dragon magazine after WotC bought TSR featured an article where the writer was talking about a M:tG-campaign-world for AD&D 2nd. Wonder what happened to that. He sounded very convinced it would get published. The Manastorm-thing seems to make more sense though.
WotC doesn't want the flavor bleed. IIRC there were official articles on their website.

They want the to IP properties distinctly separate.

GM Victory

911 Superhero
I've seen "hey, how would you do M:tG as an RPG", a smattering of house rules, and a trailing off from the topic more times than I can remember.

Has anyone actually run a game set in the universe of M:tG? What system did you use? How did it go?
I used 3E at the time. My players made standard characters from the PHB. They were hired by a wizard to recover an item that was lost when a trading caravan he owned was raided by goblins. He described the chest and the item (a large jewel) to them and said he would pay them in coin for whatever else they recovered on top of the jewel's recovery fee.

They were pretty nervous when they saw an ogre's skeleton and a few other large creature corpses around the goblin lair. But the wizard was paying a HUGE amount of money for this thing, so in they went. The goblins were tough but were handled without PC casualties. They find the jewel and a wagon to haul all of the stuff the goblins had raided (which was WAY more than they should have had).

The wizard paid them the agreed amount and for the returned property. He praised them for their skill and asked if they wanted to make even more coins. They agreed and travelled with him to a mountain range that he guided them.

The wizard told them that a dragon resided there and that he needed the PCs help to fight off the dragon's minions and traps. When asked why he needed them he explained that he had to conserve all of his power to battle the dragon.

They infiltrated, they evaded, and finally found the dragon's lair. The wizard challenged the dragon to battle and the dragon agreed. It cast a spell on the skeletons that were strewn about to rise and attack the PCs so that she and the wizard wouldn't be disturbed.

After she had done that the wizard shouted in triumph as he revealed the jewel he had been concealing. The dragon couldn't look away from the jewel and sat mesmerized. The wizard began sorting through the dragon's hoard until he found a strange, multicolored prism. He mocked the dragon for not knowing what it had in its possession.

He took the prism and began pouring his spells into it until he had exhausted himself. The prism radiated with light until power burst from it and bathed the wizard. The wizard survived and began placing marks on all that was present, including the PCs.

It was then the players realized that they were now in the service of a new Planeswalker. He had transformed himself with a Celestial Prism and had used a Meekstone on the dragon.

They had a blast figuring out what cards were being used.

Whymme

Mad
Validated User
THE universe of M:tG - does it exist? There are series about Arabian Nights, about the Chinese Three Kingdoms ... are they part of Dominaria (or whatever it is called)?

I designed my own rules for a M:tG RPG, but never got the chance to playtest them, alas. I do think that it's nifty, though :)

Ceti

of the Polepack (retired)
Validated User
YEs, all of those are planes in the multiverse. Some (Ravnica) are harder to access than others (Dominaria).

Top Bottom