• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Magic: the Gathering MMORPG Announced

LordofArcana

Validated User
I'd probably keep the PVP, but have it happen more on the guild vs guild level. Larger conflicts would involve a bunch of guilds. You'd probably want them to have something to fight over, maybe ownership of farming zones? This would also help specialize guilds, as they might not have any plains (or whatever) zones that they can farm in safely.

The number of actions (ie, the number of "cards" you can "play") a particular guild can make at a time should be pretty limited to encourage them to split up into multiple groups of a couple hundred players each. That way you don't run into the problem of huge guilds having too much power over the game.

One big problem is what happens when a guild loses all of its territory or is otherwise in a bad state? Maybe it is still possible to farm in non-owned zones, but make it harder and less rewarding to provide a guaranteed minimum that they can expect? Hmm... real stakes help make conflict interesting but losing would make players want to leave.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jeeze, I don't think I want to play EVE Online But Fantasy Wizard Version

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
I'm not sure you'd want to hinge so much of the play on guilds. For reasons practical (the track record of MMOs who focus their mechanics on large groups is rocky, because the most common play pattern is going to be solo or 2-3 friends) and flavorful (walkers are plane-hopping free agents; the guild war model won't really make sense if they ever make content that takes place outside the current set).

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I played EVE for years and loved it, but...I don't need to go back.

Top Bottom