🎨 Creative March Painting Thread

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Been Enlightened
Validated User
Some Kastellan Robots for AdMech, and yes, I screwed up arm assembly on one of them:

Also, to revisit my passing interest in postapocalyptic battle cars (see sig), here's some modded Hot Wheels for Gaslands:

Bits are from Zinge, Ramshackle or scavenged from Flames of War.
This stuff is awesome. I love the impression of glowing lights on the robots, and the terrain is great. And the cars! Why didn't I think of that!

Kiiratam

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Been assembling uh, four, five boxes of minis for a friend (in exchange for the Terminators he sent me), so haven't got much actual painting done (but I'm working on it!). One of the things I ordered for myself in the midst of all that was the female pirates from Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago. Since I'm running a pirate game at the moment. So got one of those painted up for an actual PC.

This is Aella, a human (Olmen, really. Well, Olmen and air gensai) monk trained in the finest Fistpunching tradition. She's essentially an Airbender (Way of the Clouds), but she also runs a still, because that's what monks do. Seen here with the spear she looted from a bunch of ashiera raiders (Dragon #244; basically flying-fish-bug men with coldfire powers). The player said her mental image was basically Okoye from Black Panther, and I think it turned out pretty well.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Picked up the Aristeia Fate box because I liked that Super Saiyan looking model. I managed to carve out some time today to get some paint down. WIP still needs some highlights:

Mercurial Sea

Smart Went Crazy
Validated User
Got my second AoS unit and first major painting project done today. More pictures behind the cut.

Spoiler: Show

Really happy with the base here. I love how easy it is to create these water effects.

The crew! The jade effect isn't as strong on their weapons as it is on the Thralls. I may need to do something about that.

So. Many. Barnacles. Actually, there are at least twice as many on the underside of the shell. And yes, I painted them.

There are some little things here and there I'd like to fix. Some paint slops, some missing details (like earrings), and so forth, but I'm calling this one done for now. I'm ready to move on to the next unit so I can actually play. Speaking of which, a sneak preview of my next project...

Spoiler: Show

Kiiratam

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, that looks amazing. How did you do the water effects?

(I feel like I've asked this before)

Last edited:

Mercurial Sea

Smart Went Crazy
Validated User
Well, that looks amazing. How did you do the water effects?

(I feel like I've asked this before)
Thanks! The water effects are just a base of three blended blues, a transparent layer of gloss gel medium, and then the foam is the same medium mixed with a light grey paint (Citadel Ulthuan Grey, to be specific). The medium is surprisingly easy to work with. I have a brush that's the perfect size and shape to create wave-like shapes, so it's pretty much just a case of poking at it until it looks right, then mixing up a batch with gray and dabbing that along the coast and on peaks where I want to create whitecaps (with some moderately lengthy wait times between stages).

Love it! Nce subtle blending on the scales and a wonderful base.
Thanks!

Scutarii

Validated User

Did up some of Shieldwolf's lawyer-friendly Sisters as Crusaders. Fairly happy with how these turned out; more images here.
You’ve built up a pretty comprehensive sisters army by now right? Any chance of a group shot?

Where did the shields come from?

Been assembling uh, four, five boxes of minis for a friend (in exchange for the Terminators he sent me), so haven't got much actual painting done (but I'm working on it!). One of the things I ordered for myself in the midst of all that was the female pirates from Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago. Since I'm running a pirate game at the moment. So got one of those painted up for an actual PC.

This is Aella, a human (Olmen, really. Well, Olmen and air gensai) monk trained in the finest Fistpunching tradition. She's essentially an Airbender (Way of the Clouds), but she also runs a still, because that's what monks do. Seen here with the spear she looted from a bunch of ashiera raiders (Dragon #244; basically flying-fish-bug men with coldfire powers). The player said her mental image was basically Okoye from Black Panther, and I think it turned out pretty well.
Cool of you to paint the minis for your game too 😀

Picked up the Aristeia Fate box because I liked that Super Saiyan looking model. I managed to carve out some time today to get some paint down. WIP still needs some highlights:
She’s weirdly perfect as a saiyan.

Thanks! The water effects are just a base of three blended blues, a transparent layer of gloss gel medium, and then the foam is the same medium mixed with a light grey paint (Citadel Ulthuan Grey, to be specific). The medium is surprisingly easy to work with. I have a brush that's the perfect size and shape to create wave-like shapes, so it's pretty much just a case of poking at it until it looks right, then mixing up a batch with gray and dabbing that along the coast and on peaks where I want to create whitecaps (with some moderately lengthy wait times between stages).

Thanks!
I love that turtle

Impressive stuff alround people!

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You’ve built up a pretty comprehensive sisters army by now right? Any chance of a group shot?

Where did the shields come from?
The shields were part of the Shieldwolf not-Sisters box (well, the fantasy version) with a couple of their sigils scraped off in favor of more thematic ones. (I wanted to get the Crystal Rose in there, and another F-D-L) As for a group shot... been a while since I did one, I'll see if I can get one later this week. (It takes a little setting up, after all)

Top Bottom