• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative March Painting Thread

AlphaAsh

Miserable Git
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Got my second AoS unit and first major painting project done today. More pictures behind the cut.

Spoiler: Show

Really happy with the base here. I love how easy it is to create these water effects.

The crew! The jade effect isn't as strong on their weapons as it is on the Thralls. I may need to do something about that.

So. Many. Barnacles. Actually, there are at least twice as many on the underside of the shell. And yes, I painted them.

There are some little things here and there I'd like to fix. Some paint slops, some missing details (like earrings), and so forth, but I'm calling this one done for now. I'm ready to move on to the next unit so I can actually play. Speaking of which, a sneak preview of my next project...

Spoiler: Show

Oh my *feints*

These are wonderful art chap. Well done.

Asklepios

Validated User
Love the subtlety of shading on those fins. I'm thinking that if I was being REALLY nitpicky (and for sure, we're talking about small comments about a miniature that is clearly painted to virtuoso level) I'd observe that the colour on the shell seems a little flat in the photo, especially on the inner segments. The gradient of highlighting/shading on the skin and the stone is notably more pronounced than on the shell, and it makes the shell look more like leather than something chitinous. Is that an intentional approach? Maybe it might look even better if the chitin was highlighted more prominently up to the same bone colour that you've brought the skin and the stone, that might pull the colours together a bit more and take out some of that flatness? A bit like you've done at the edges, but on each shell segment. Of course, I maybe entirely wrong here - it may just be the photo, or it may be intentionally flatter.

That base is fantastic though, really brings the whole piece to life, and the metalwork along the front of the fins is just beautifully done. The blue as spot colour on the base and elf-robes works great. It's just a pic I could look at all day. I wish I could paint that well.

Mercurial Sea

Smart Went Crazy
Validated User
Love the subtlety of shading on those fins. I'm thinking that if I was being REALLY nitpicky (and for sure, we're talking about small comments about a miniature that is clearly painted to virtuoso level) I'd observe that the colour on the shell seems a little flat in the photo, especially on the inner segments. The gradient of highlighting/shading on the skin and the stone is notably more pronounced than on the shell, and it makes the shell look more like leather than something chitinous. Is that an intentional approach? Maybe it might look even better if the chitin was highlighted more prominently up to the same bone colour that you've brought the skin and the stone, that might pull the colours together a bit more and take out some of that flatness? A bit like you've done at the edges, but on each shell segment. Of course, I maybe entirely wrong here - it may just be the photo, or it may be intentionally flatter.

That base is fantastic though, really brings the whole piece to life, and the metalwork along the front of the fins is just beautifully done. The blue as spot colour on the base and elf-robes works great. It's just a pic I could look at all day. I wish I could paint that well.
"Virtuoso" is much too kind. My camera loves my models for some reason--their shortcomings are more obvious in person. Nonetheless, I appreciate the kind words!

The shell was honestly a process of me sort of experimenting with colors then trying to highlight enough contrast into the plates and the gaps between, which took a lot more work than I expected (partly because it's all drybrushing). I sort of stopped when I decided I was happy enough with the contrast I had. Looking again, I can definitely see room for some layer highlights (random factoid: those highlights on the edges were actually done experimentally well after the shell was done), though "leathery" is a pretty solid look for a turtle shell, I feel. I may revisit it later, especially since that would be a pretty simple addition.

That said, I'm pretty conservative with highlights in general. I'm trying to be less so, but it's definitely A Thing. I have trouble reconciling that something that looks really stark while wet and inches from my face will look better when dried and at a greater distance.

(Another random fact! The picture of the shell is pretty true-to-life. But the fins are actually a bit flatter in the orange parts in person because the sculpt is really shallow there. So much so that the flatter color is even noticeable on some of Games Workshop's own paint jobs.)

AlphaAsh

Miserable Git
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The flatter the detail, the more likely you'll need to rely on blending over drybrushing, definitely. Filling plates is only so good up to the point you paint over an edge and are then stuck in a constant correction cycle. I feel you made all the right choices for this model and my usual choice of multiple built-up wet shades and highlights wouldn't work. Such contrast (or lack of it) isn't always the best result, especially on a larger model. Not to say it doesn't work and is quicker, but then I don't have the patience for filling or dexterity for edging.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Anyone have advice on where I can find a box set of some good quality resin/plastic fantasy mini's to represent an assortment of players/adventures? Don't care for the dnd line, and I don't want to buy a bunch of expensive singles from Reaper. I need bang for buck.

Ogrob

Validated User
Anyone have advice on where I can find a box set of some good quality resin/plastic fantasy mini's to represent an assortment of players/adventures? Don't care for the dnd line, and I don't want to buy a bunch of expensive singles from Reaper. I need bang for buck.
Have a look at Frostgrave plastics from North Star. If you are in the US, I believe Brigade Games carries them. Mulipart adventurer types.

Scutarii

Validated User
I painted the Endless Spells!

I think they're a really good idea for the game. Shame the execution in the rules is questionable.

My favourite one (yes I need to tidy up the base edging)

Last edited:

RedPlanet

Validated User
So! These aren't exactly the first minis I've painted in 15 years (those were done in Jan and Feb and thus ineligible) but pretty close! The Voidsmen from the Rogue Trader box:
[/url]20190329_195246 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/170696074@N04/[/IMG

The detail work is terrible and/or nonexistent, but as Miniatures Monthly teaches us, 'a wash covers a multitude of sins'. Just don't look too closely at the faces...

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You’ve built up a pretty comprehensive sisters army by now right? Any chance of a group shot?

This is the army. Specifically, the stuff that is properly Sisters of Battle without caveats (well, the Avenger might not be anymore, since FW's stuff is in a bit of an odd spot atm but it was back in 7th so) and not including the various counts-as Space Marines stuff I have modeled as Sisters (for Allies shenanigans or Castellans of the Imperium back when that was a thing)

RedPlanet

Validated User
(Sorry for double-posting - am still getting the hang of linking images and gave up, then came back for another go)
Bonus: the poor Cadians who were conscripted into serving as my test models for the Voidsmen!

Top Bottom