• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mario Maker 2: Its out.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Wanted to make a dedicated thread for this. ]

Playing it now, played a bit of story mode, and a few course worlds.

One new thing that was NOT in the direct: The Mario Land Superball is a power up. If you get it you turn into an 8 Bit black and white Mario land sprite and it has the same physics as the superball, and the Mario Land theme plays.

Can't wait to see what other secrets it holds.

Crinos

Validated User
Also, if you use the night skin on the more recent games, the Mario galaxy theme plays.

They're getting everyone in here.

Edit: Seems I was mistaken, apparently you can set it up to play themes from various Mario games in your thing.

Last edited:

Aspeon

Validated User
As one of the five or six people who had a Wii U and were able to play the original game, I'm super excited for this to bring it to a broader audience. I would've been happy with a port with one or two new things, but they went far beyond that. My physical copy arrives later today, but in the meantime it's severely testing my "stop watching Twitch at work" resolution.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is amazing. Some quick notes from playing a bit of story mode, skipping through a few tutorials, and such.

1) You know how SMM1 had really bad sample levels with lots of troll blocks that made that stupid laughing sound and made you die, and other stupid kaizo stuff? This doesn't have that, and it actually has a tutorial demoing a thwomp falling out of nowhere and an invisible block making you fall into a pit, then clearly explains that it's not fun for anyone and nobody likes trolls, so don't make those levels. Maybe that'll make it slightly less prevalent.

2) The tutorials are detailed and give some decent advice on how to make levels that are fair and fun and memorable. Nothing amazing, but good for beginners, and much better than SMM1's demo levels.

3) The levels that come with this are really well designed, feel like they could have been in any of the original games, are really fun, etc. Even the demo levels that appear when you first load up the game. This is a big step up from, again, SMM1's levels. I think the overall theme with 1-3 here is that the first game was sort of Mario Paint-focused and a lot of the demo level designers were doing wacky artistic things instead of making levels that would be fun for Mario fans, and SMM2 is focused more on making actual Mario levels.

4) There's a lot of REALLY fun physics stuff like the swinging claws and seesaw platforms. This is going to be incredibly fun to play around with.

5) The "put a moon in the level to make things weird" stuff gets demoed in the story mode early on, with a stage where you can go through pipes to get to a mirrored version with reverse gravity. It's actually really fun and still pretty easy to control. So, yay.

EDIT: One huge downside. Despite all the hype specifically saying you needed the online service to "upload" your levels, which I could do without, you also need it to download other people's levels, which is kinda a core selling point of the game. This is especially frustrating because it's still nearly impossible to find that information under the barrage of empty press releases, empty articles, and articles where people are complaining about the 32 level upload limit. Also, I still can't figure out if I have to get the family plan subscription just to have different profiles on the same Switch get access to online; I know that different accounts need it, and I know that you can link an account and profile, but I can't find anywhere that explains whether you can link multiple profiles to the same account. I'm assuming you cannot, but that's really irritating nonetheless. It seems like in both cases, Nintendo deliberately avoids addressing any questions about it. And I'm not thrilled that you can apparently only get the family plan in one-year installments, so if it ends up being something we don't like after a week or two, we paid half the price of a full game for nothing. It's not a huge amount, but it's just a minor irritation. (Also, I totally get the frustration over the upload limit being reduced from about 100 to 32 when the service went from free to paid subscription.)

Really, the whole frustrating thing is not the restrictions, but rather that it was nearly impossible to get any accurate explanation of the restrictions up front. And that the games media sites for the past day just kept mindlessly repeating the "you need Switch Online to upload your levels" instead of the more accurate "you need Switch Online to do literally anything online at all" that they now should know is the case.

EDIT2: The story mode levels are so much fun though. Played a few more of them. These are brilliantly designed and great inspiration for actual good levels by users, unlike the demo levels in the first game, which I've probably made clear that I blame for contributing to the bad levels in the first game. Also, apparently no costumes this time around, which is a good thing because Nintendo kinda showed that if costumes were available, they'd never make anything else.

Last edited:

Crinos

Validated User
So what did you make on your first day with the game? A remake of 1-1? Some random stuff thrown together to test it all out?

Here's what the Game theorist did.

SuperZero

Probably up to something.
Validated User
On the first day I mostly played story mode. Last night I made a course targetted at multiplayer versus, with four distinct (but functionally nearly identical) paths. Warp boxes staying open in multiplayer makes it imperfect, though—I don’t have a way to actually force players to take different paths.
Resetting to the beginning doesn’t help, either, but I’d need at least two checkpoints per area to prevent it.

FCF-L91-BXF

Most of the online multiplayer I’ve done has been super laggy, though. Maybe it’ll be better once that initial rush of interest wears down a bit.

Crinos

Validated User
So, I haven't made any mario maker levels myself. But I stumbled on one I think you guys are gonna dig and dig hard.

1985: HXC-M84-8RF

Some people say you can't do Horror in Mario game, but I call those people liars.

(un)reason

Making the Legend
Validated User
—I don’t have a way to actually force players to take different paths.
Putting a red turtle on a block by a pipe, so the first person can bounce off it and use the boost to reach the upper route, but subsequent people have to go underneath.

Firelight

You don't bow before wizards.
Validated User
So, I haven't made any mario maker levels myself. But I stumbled on one I think you guys are gonna dig and dig hard.

1985: HXC-M84-8RF

Some people say you can't do Horror in Mario game, but I call those people liars.
That was cool. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom