• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Marvel Champions (FFG)... uh oh...

SibKhatru

Validated User
Well, this might be our group's next wallet drainer... interesting that we have burned out a bit on Sentinels of the Multiverse (though we still love it). We never liked Legendary much, so now there's this opportunity. Hoping it plays well.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Links are good! :D

Not sure yet. I like Legendary, got Sentinals, was hoping for a minis game, but its another deck builder. Which is GOOD but I wanted minis to paint ;)

Scutarii

Validated User
FFG via Atomic Mass Games/Asmodee also has a new Marvel Miniatures games being demoed at GenCon

Scutarii

Validated User
Well, this might be our group's next wallet drainer... interesting that we have burned out a bit on Sentinels of the Multiverse (though we still love it). We never liked Legendary much, so now there's this opportunity. Hoping it plays well.
It does look cool, single core set only, expansions adding more heroes, coop vs the deck means I might be able to get more people to play. I’ll keep an eye on it. I am currently all in on the L5R lcg though so might wait for a bit.

Hard plastic minis, assemble and paint!

Will Pigani is there as is Will Shick (both from Privateer Press). Wonder who else is there? Hrm...
Good, good. I am not familiar with either Will. Privateer did Warmachine?

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It looks interesting. I'll most likely get a core box if nobody else in my group does, and then we'll see.

I tend to be a bit iffy on discarding cards to pay for other cards, but when you refill your hand every turn it's not as feel-bad as in Race for the Galaxy. Adding your special weakness card to the villain deck instead of having it in your own deck like in Arkham Horror is also an improvement. Alternating between your hero and civilian identities looks interesting.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the art, though it's not nearly as terrible as it usually is for games based on existing comics properties.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Yeah, the hand refill is nice, puts me in mind of the Decipher LOTR CCG, and de-emphasizing card advantage opens up some design space. Here, I like how it'll be used to create decision moments where you get to use one card or the other.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, the hand refill is nice, puts me in mind of the Decipher LOTR CCG, and de-emphasizing card advantage opens up some design space. Here, I like how it'll be used to create decision moments where you get to use one card or the other.
Yeah, that's my take on it too. It's less "what do I have to give up to play this card" and more "which of these card combinations I could play will do the most good right now".

I'll also note that while card draw becomes less important, hand size seems to be an important part of the game. For example, when Tony Stark is Tony he has a hand size of 6 cards, but when he's Iron Man he has a hand size of 1 + the number of Tech upgrade cards he has (up to 7). So he's strongly incentivized to start out as Tony and get some upgrades into play before switching to Iron Man, and if something takes away some of his upgrades he'll want to switch back... which makes sense.

Top Bottom