• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MARVEL FASERIP] Super Heroes of the 30s and 40s

dolfanar

Un-Frozen Caveman RPGer
Validated User
I'm thinking of messing around with 4C/TSR FASERIP Marvel game that would take place in a world that developed exactly like our own up to about 1947/48 or so and then suddenly real Mutants/Superheroes start to show up.

So it's a world where Superman and Batman were actual comic books, but eventually real life superheroes show up.

I'd like it to be a kind of generational game, which would start with a quick mini-game at the start of the phenomenon in the late 40's and work it's way through the decades.

But I'd like to pre-populate the world with a few archetypical super-heroes based on Comic book heroes of the 30's and 40's.

So I need help identifying/fleshing out 5 archetypical Super Powered Hero types, and 5 non-super powered hero types. And I also need some help with Monsters/Villain types appropriate to the early years.

I figure the big ones from that era are probably best covered by mostly DC:

Super Powered:
Superman
Wonder Woman
The Flash
Hawkman
Green Lantern

Regular Joes
Batman

But you also have a bunch of mystics/magician types, The Submariner, The Human Torch, a bunch of detective types (The Spirit, Green Hornet, etc...), some "mysterious detective" types which sort of cross over on Batman (The Shadow, The Phantom), some patriot types (headlined by Captain America).

So if you had to distill the first several years of super heroes to 5-6 Super Heroes and 5-6 Regular Joe Heroes. How would you do it?

Useful Referance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superhero_debuts

InkyHat

Mad Ringmaster
Validated User
Here's another useful reference. The Public Domain Superhero Wiki

As for unpowered types... It really breaks down to

Flying Ace
Rich Idiot With No Day Job(Batman, Miss Masque, etc)
Pissed Off Cop (Lady in Red, The Ferret)
Inventor!
Jungle Queen

dolfanar

Un-Frozen Caveman RPGer
Validated User
Ok, for the Super Powered types this is what I have so far:

Solarman - Your basic Super duper flying strongman type
Kid Mercury - Your basic super speed type
American Eagle - Combines your super patriot, with your winged superhero. Even thinking of giving him a shield.
Captain Torch - Human living flame type of guy.SLightly redundant with Solarman, but I think the two archetypes are differant enough to warrant being split.
Lady Justice - Your female super hero, with super strength and whatnot. Thinking of actually making her blind and going with a Wonderwoman/Daredevil type combo.
Mr. Y the Magician - Essentially a psychic who can mess with peoples minds passing himself off as an actual magician.

For the non-super heroes:

Crimson Hood & Red Sparrow
Your basic Batman and Robin types, though Crimson Hood is amalgam of Green Arrow as well with the Bow & Arrom gimmick.

Still need a few more non-super powered guys, and a whole mess of villains.

InkyHat

Mad Ringmaster
Validated User
I was thinking more along the lines of Airboy, Swoop Smith, and the like. People whose super power, whose super gizmo is that they've got a tricked out plane and can fly it really well. But I suppose people like The Rocketeer, Airman and such would count, sure.

Also, common abilities for the unpowered characters often involved martial arts, wrestling, and archery. In fact, that's the source of characters like Green Arrow, Hawkeye, and so on. I apologize if my grammar and writing aren't the best. I'm sick to my stomach at the moment.

I was actually going to go through the wiki and write up pretty much all of them in Mutants and Masterminds. Yes, I'm insane.

dolfanar

Un-Frozen Caveman RPGer
Validated User
I was thinking more along the lines of Airboy, Swoop Smith, and the like. People whose super power, whose super gizmo is that they've got a tricked out plane and can fly it really well. But I suppose people like The Rocketeer, Airman and such would count, sure.

Also, common abilities for the unpowered characters often involved martial arts, wrestling, and archery. In fact, that's the source of characters like Green Arrow, Hawkeye, and so on. I apologize if my grammar and writing aren't the best. I'm sick to my stomach at the moment.

I was actually going to go through the wiki and write up pretty much all of them in Mutants and Masterminds. Yes, I'm insane.
Martial Arts? I was thinking that didn't really start playing a part until much later (Thinking post-Bruce Lee).

Hope you feel better!

Toxoplasma

Deletrious Protozoan
Validated User
You're talking boxing, wrestling, and hyped-up judo.
All at world-class levels, natch.
There's a kind of cross-over into early sports fiction, hence a fascination with physical development and people with amazing ability at good hearty American sports.

InkyHat

Mad Ringmaster
Validated User
Martial Arts? I was thinking that didn't really start playing a part until much later (Thinking post-Bruce Lee).

Hope you feel better!
Thanks and hold on...
You're talking boxing, wrestling, and hyped-up judo.
All at world-class levels, natch.
There's a kind of cross-over into early sports fiction, hence a fascination with physical development and people with amazing ability at good hearty American sports.
What he said. Jiu Jitsu was also common. Also, the whole "Body Beautiful" thing from the Victorian Era was still partly in effect at this point, so deformed or damaged people were more likely to be villains. Sadly this includes blind people.. ... Seriously, as soon as I'm feeling better, I've got a lot of stuff to write up, but I'll try and actually come up with archetypes for you. And the world at large.

Waiwode

(n)Ever Vigilant Eye
Validated User
While "Kung-fu kid" type characters are all post-Bruce, there are a host of "our power is that we fight real well" heroes ... including Batman.

In a way Martial Arts have been, part of pulp (and golden age comics were that) ever since Sherlock Holmes busted out the 'baritsu' on Moriarty over Reichenbach Falls (story written in 1901, where Burrough's Tarzan of the Apes is 1912, and American pulp is "go").

Doug.

Top Bottom