• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Marvel] Mass Effect

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
I was thinking, the Marvel RPG might be perfect for Mass Effect. You can do the various tech powers as an Omni-Tool power set, with some characters having additional abilities beyond the base. Biotic powers are just psychic powers. And the milestones and events are perfect.

For instance in the ME1 event, Shepard might have a "Council Spectre" set of milestones, where he gets 1 xp for obeying a direct order from the Council or telling them to go to hell, 3 xp for either invoking his Spectre status to get away with something or refusing to break the rules just because he can, and 10 xp for either saving the Council or letting them die. Wrex might have a "Genophage" set of milestones, where he gets 1 xp when he points out that Turians and Salarians are committing genocide on his people, 3 xp when he either refuses to fight a fellow Krogan or kills another Krogan, and 10 xp when he either does whatever it takes to secure an antidote to the genophage or decides to give up a cure.

Foxworthy

Cheesesteak Aficionado
Validated User
Yeah another neat thing could be stating up the different weapons and armors as powerset that are interchangeable. So You can have an index card with Blood Dragon armor, and one with the N7 armor and choose which powerset to take with you. Things like Blood Dragon armor and the advanced weapons can also be unlockable with XP as well.

EldritchFire

Validated User
Yeah another neat thing could be stating up the different weapons and armors as powerset that are interchangeable. So You can have an index card with Blood Dragon armor, and one with the N7 armor and choose which powerset to take with you. Things like Blood Dragon armor and the advanced weapons can also be unlockable with XP as well.
I disagree. Unless it's something you specialize in, that all falls under the auspice of Resources. You spend the time to get suited up/decked out in weapons is handled mechanically by spanding a PP and getting a Resource based off of Combat–or Tech/Science for OmniTool.

-EF

If you specialize in a certain armour or weapon, you reflect that with a Power Set & SFX.

That Other Guy

Validated User
PErsonally, I just say have all gear represented by SFX, with your class and Talents represented by the power sets themselves. So you have your Biotics powers, with your Amps as different SFX.

Foxworthy

Cheesesteak Aficionado
Validated User
I think the equipment is way too important in Mass Effect to just be a resource.

They need to be a power set and the only way to do justice to the shooting game part of Mass Effect is to make the equipment different and colorful. Players need to have a Sniper Rifle be Different than a pistol, because in Mass Effect they are.

Armor needs to be different as well because in Mass Effect you can change armor to suit the mission, and the armors do different things. Some stop physical attacks better, some have better shields. These all can be determined via Power sets.

They also need to be interchangeable powersets because players in Mass Effect change weapons and armor throughout the game. Boiling it all down to a resource die or a static power set is doing Mass Effect game world a disservice.

GabrielK

No puppet! No puppet!
Validated User
While it probably wouldn't be to my tastes (for something like ME I'd prefer a more traditional rules set), yeah I can see how it could be made to work. And you could definitely have fun with Shepard's distinctions.

cesarld

Validated User
I know someone that has been trying to use MRPG to make a Mass Effect RPG and the system seems to be working well with the setting. And Mass Effect is really cinematic and Marvel RPG works great for this kind of story.

Unknown Blitz

Citizen of Sector 2814
Yeah I like this approach as well. I have plans for a GI Joe game based on the old Marvel comics (using both the old 80s Order of Battle comics and the more recent Battle Files comics as resources). I plan on having each Joe or Cobra have 1 power set that represents training/personal gear, and then a whole index box full of vehicles to be used as a secondary power set. Since there is mechanical difference between being inside a MOBAT and using its Armor d10 SFX: Invulnerable Spend a Plot Point to ignore physical stress or trauma unless the attack is armor piercing, 130mm Main Cannon d10, and .50 Caliber Machine Gun d8 with a SFX: Burst Fire if you are in a MOBAT, rather than just spending a plot point and having a Resource: MOBAT Tank d10.

The MOBAT makes you tougher in a firefight as it should, but it does not do anything vs. that evil Cobra superweapon that Dr.Mindbender built that produces brain scrambling waves.

Vehicles were such a big part of the show/comic whether it was dogfights between a Joe Skystriker and a Cobra Rattler or an armored assault of MOBATs and other vehicles vs. Cobra HISSs or what not, I'd be doing the source material a disservice making them mechanically unimportant imho.

-Blitz

Last edited:

Foxworthy

Cheesesteak Aficionado
Validated User
So this thread has got my juices going about running Mass Effect as a one shot, if not a whole campaign. So I decided to start off by trying to stat out some of the Mass Effect weapons. Now for the purposes of powers set I'm thinking of separating them into different groups. Firearms, Armor, Biotics, and Tech. Firearms and Armor will be for me static powersets. Though XP would be able to unlock upgrades that customize the equipment for the user if thewould like. So every M-4 user would get the same power set when using an M-4. I'm toying with the idea of expanding the Specialties to be less all encompassing. So that Pistol, SMG, Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, and Assault Rifle would be their own specialties. Might not be worth the trouble though.

Spoiler: Show

M-3 Predator
d6 pistol

SFX: Light Trigger Step up or double Pistol die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add three dice for your total.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-3 Predator and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-3 Predator to switch to another Firearm.

M-6 Carnifex
d8 pistol

SFX: Stopping Power Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in the pool one step. Step up the physical stress inflicted by one step.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-6 Carnifex and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-6 Carnifex to switch to another Firearm.

M-5 Phalanx
d8 pistol

SFX: Laser Sight In a pool containing a M-5 Phalanx die, you can replace two die of equal steps with one die at +1 step.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-5 Phalanx and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-5 Phalanx to switch to another Firearm.

M-23 Katana
d8 Shotgun

SFX: Scatter Shot Add a d6 and keep and additional effect die for each additional target.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-23 Katana and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-23 Katana to switch to another Firearm.

M-27 Scimitar
d10 Shotgun

SFX: Scatter Shot Add a d6 and keep and additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Stopping Power Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in the pool one step. Step up the physical stress inflicted by one step.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-27 Scimitar and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-27 Scimitar to switch to another Firearm.

M-300 Claymore
d10 Shotgun

SFX: Big Boom, Slow Reload Borrow a die from the doom pool for one attack action. Step up the doom die by one step and return it to the doom pool.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-300 Claymore and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-300 Claymore to switch to another Firearm.

M-29 Incisor
d10 Sniper Rifle

SFX: Precise Burst Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in the pool one step. Step up the physical stress inflicted by one step.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-29 Incisor and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-29 Incisor to switch to another Firearm.

M-92 Mantis
d12 Sniper Rifle

SFX: Big Boom, Slow Reload Borrow a die from the doom pool for one attack action. Step up the doom die by one step and return it to the doom pool.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-92 Mantis and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-92 Mantis to switch to another Firearm.

M-97 Viper
d12 Sniper Rifle

Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-97 Viper and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-97 Viper to switch to another Firearm.

M-8 Avenger
d6 Assault Rifle

SFX: Spray and Pray Add a d6 and keep and additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Three Round Burst Step up or double Assault Rifle die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add three dice for your total.
SFX: Get Some! Step up or double Assault Rifle die for one action. If the action fails add a d6 to the doom pool.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-8 Avenger and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-8 Avenger to switch to another Firearm.

M-15 Vindicator
d10 Assault Rifle

SFX: Three Round Burst Step up or double Assault Rifle die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add three dice for your total.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-15 Vindicator and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-15 Vindicator to switch to another Firearm.

M-76 Revenant
d8 Assault Rifle

SFX: Spray and Pray Add a d6 and keep and additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Get Some! Step up or double Assault Rifle die for one action. If the action fails add a d6 to the doom pool.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-76 Revenant and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-76 Revenant to switch to another Firearm.

M-4 Shuriken
d6 SMG

SFX: Three Round Burst Step up or double SMG die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add three dice for your total.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-4 Shuriken and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-4 Shuriken to switch to another Firearm.

M-9 Tempest
d8 SMG

SFX: Get Some! Step up or double SMG die for one action. If the action fails add a d6 to the doom pool.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-9 Tempest and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-9 Tempest to switch to another Firearm.

M-12 Locust
d6 SMG

SFX: Get Some! Step up or double SMG die for one action. If the action fails add a d6 to the doom pool.
SFX: Three Round Burst Step up or double SMG die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add three dice for your total.
Limit: Out of Ammo Shutdown M-12 Locust and gain 1 PP. Take an action against the Doom pool to recover
Limit: Mutually Exclusive Shutdown M-12 Locust to switch to another Firearm.

I'm going to start on armor tomorrow probably, I'm not sure how many sets of armor I'll need.

Top Bottom