IC Masks: Sanguine Squad

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
Bell pulls off her domino mask and relaxes a little. "OK, that's the thing. After Comet got taken away, and after Brick did that thing where she jumps away when you're talking to her? She showed up. Like she was watching and waiting for the moment. She said some nice stuff about my destiny, you know, supervillain stuff -- sorry, Ash," she adds, hoping she didn't offend her friend. "I don't know what she wanted from me, but I tried to get some information from her about Rook Industries and she agreed, just like that. Maybe that's what she had in mind all along. That's what drives me crazy, every time I talk to her, I get the feeling I'm playing her game, her way. All I can do is tell you guys about it, so at least I'm not conspiring with her. I have a feeling that if I do that, I'm toast."
"I think that's the right move," Ash nods. "She might know how you think and try to steer you her way, but bouncing things off the rest of us will help make sure you're not just making the moves she wants you to make."

Ash knows she ought to tell Bell about her talk with Rook, but holds back, not wanting to endanger the trust she's slowly starting to build with the Squad.

She scowls and adds, "Also, she called me 'mini-me.' I don't know what that means, but I already know it's gonna be weird and I'm not going to like it."
"Oh, it's from a movie," Ash says vaguely. "Bad guy has himself cloned, but the clone comes out like three feet tall. There are much better movies for you to catch up on."

Beth sits down on the floor beside the sofa with a thump. Sometimes how much she weighs still takes her by surprise, when she's not thinking about it.

Everyone seems to be in their own conversations, but in a way that suits Beth fine. She's never really been the most talkative person, and here she is, surrounded by friends and allies after a good fight... she pops the cap off a bottle of lemonade and smiles to herself. She knows when she's making excuses for not getting involved. Got to try to say something. Don't just sit next to her and pretend you're hanging out. But what can she talk about? It's not easy when for a couple of years all you've thought about is tactics.

"Hey, Ash?" she says. "Sorry if I'm interrupting. I just wanted to say thanks, you did a great job leading us out there. That was awesome. I'm, uh, really sorry I let you get hit though."
"I'm fine, honestly," Ash says, waving a hand. "I know I can't take a hit like you, but that's why I wear the armour. Well, that and flying."

At one point Ash thought she'd never walk again. Being able to fly is awesome. She raises a hand and a can of diet soda levitates over into her hand.

"Besides, it was my own fault for taking my eye off the threat," she says to Beth as she takes a drink. "Not going to be much of a leader until I can get used to having actual people on the field. And can stop worrying about being arrested in the middle of a battle."

She clinks her can against Beth's bottle. "But hey, a win and a positive news story. I'll take that any day."

OOC: Yep, take influence and potential.

"So," Ehri said, uncertainly. The contrast with her demeanor in speaking with the scientists and criminals was striking. "What... what's normal to do, in triumph after such victories?"
"Split the loot, gloat about outwitting your nemesis, and start boasting about the next step of your plan to take over the world?" Ash suggests flippantly. "I mean, going out for food is pretty traditional, but we're kind of on the distinctive side as a group. Maybe takeaway and a movie?"

Under the joke there's a pang of loss. The Blacksmith always took Ash out for milkshakes after they pulled off a job, like they were celebrating a basketball game or a dance recital. It was dumb, but she misses it.

Last edited:

Chaomancer

CotTS High Magician
Validated User
"I'm fine, honestly," Ash says, waving a hand. "I know I can't take a hit like you, but that's why I wear the armour. Well, that and flying."

At one point Ash thought she'd never walk again. Being able to fly is awesome. She raises a hand and a can of diet soda levitates over into her hand.

"Besides, it was my own fault for taking my eye off the threat," she says to Beth as she takes a drink. "Not going to be much of a leader until I can get used to having actual people on the field. And can stop worrying about being arrested in the middle of a battle."

She clinks her can against Beth's bottle. "But hey, a win and a positive news story. I'll take that any day."
"Flying sounds like a lot of fun," Beth grins wistfully as they drink, ducking any more discussion of tactics. No point trying to convince Ash, she already knows Beth thinks she did great. Doesn't she? Sure she does. I said it and everything. Stop double-guessing yourself.

"Split the loot, gloat about outwitting your nemesis, and start boasting about the next step of your plan to take over the world?" Ash suggests flippantly. "I mean, going out for food is pretty traditional, but we're kind of on the distinctive side as a group. Maybe takeaway and a movie?"

Under the joke there's a pang of loss. The Blacksmith always took Ash out for milkshakes after they pulled off a job, like they were celebrating a basketball game or a dance recital. It was dumb, but she misses it.
"That's a great idea," Beth agrees enthusiastically. "We should have a victory tradition, and food and a movie sounds wonderful. Who's for pizza?"

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Bell
Alicia opens a can and sips carefully. They have weird sodas in this place, she drank celery soda once by accident, never again.
"Yay pizza!" she says to Beth. "Something that hasn't changed beyond all recognition. You know, back in my time, we had a disco in the basement, with strobe lights and a fog machine... after a big win, we'd spin the latest 45s and boogie down..."

She grins self-consciously and turns to Ehri. "Hey, Princess, what do your people do to let loose? In the 70's, everybody wanted to party in outer space, we had songs about it and everything, and you've actually done it! So cool!"

Last edited:

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
"Flying sounds like a lot of fun," Beth grins wistfully as they drink, ducking any more discussion of tactics. No point trying to convince Ash, she already knows Beth thinks she did great. Doesn't she? Sure she does. I said it and everything. Stop double-guessing yourself.
"It's pretty rad," Ash agrees. "I mean, really I'm just dragging my own armour around, but it beats walking everywhere."

"That's a great idea," Beth agrees enthusiastically. "We should have a victory tradition, and food and a movie sounds wonderful. Who's for pizza?"
"Pizza's fine by me," Ash nods. "I eat pretty much anything. Any votes for a movie? 'Licia skipped over Back To The Future, right?"

"Yay pizza!" Bell says to Beth. "Something that hasn't changed beyond all recognition. You know, back in my time, we had a disco in the basement, with strobe lights and a fog machine... after a big win, we'd spin the latest 45s and boogie down..."
Ash chuckles. "We'll have to sneak you into a disco night at a club at some point. Although I guess technically you are old enough to get in legit, if you have valid ID..."

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"...I'm not very familiar with pizza, but I've gathered that it's very popular," said Ehri. "By all means, pizza."

Bell
Alicia opens a can and sips carefully. They have weird sodas in this place, she drank celery soda once by accident, never again.
"Yay pizza!" she says to Beth. "Something that hasn't changed beyond all recognition. You know, back in my time, we had a disco in the basement, with strobe lights and a fog machine... after a big win, we'd spin the latest 45s and boogie down..."

She grins self-consciously and turns to Ehri. "Hey, Princess, what do your people do to let loose? In the 70's, everybody wanted to party in outer space, we had songs about it and everything, and you've actually done it! So cool!"
"Well, my family generally arranged something vast and excessive," said Ehri. "Live performers, songs composed for the occasion, edible sculptures made of sweets to commemorate the event. My role in them was largely to be flattered and to enjoy the entertainment passively, or at least act entertained. It was all terribly wasteful... I preferred the ones I wasn't supposed to know about, with featured shared meals, shared drinks, and dancing. Also singing-- singing along to old favorites, or one where everybody sings something about the previous singer. I wished that I'd been allowed to attend..."

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The final page of the first issue begins with the caption "Later that night." The page cuts back and forth between two conversations: We only get pieces of them, not the whole run of things.

In the first, Tankbuster and Gem are having coffee. It's a light conversation, where he praises her for the day's victory and tells her stories.

In the second conversation, Ambassador Bell and Bell are having dinner. It's not as much fun.

Some of the bits:
Tankbuster: "One time I threw this guy into a water tower, figured that would chill him out. Found out his power was bouncing. Didn't even phase him, but knocked the tower over and flooded the street."
Ambassador Bell: "It's called a flash drive, and it contains the information I promised. Your friends can show you how to use it."
Tankbuster: "But you've gotta have a good line for those big finishing moves, that's what gets you noticed."
A!Bell: "They've put things in our water, our food supply. Taken people, performed experiments."
Tankbuster: "I think she'd be really proud of you."
A!Bell: "They want to know how to make their own supers, under their control."

The last couple of panels show Tankbuster and Gem, looking happy together. Then we see a similar panel, with an overlaying caption showing Diamond's voice.
Diamond said:
Careful. He can be dangerous.
OOC: Gem and Bell, feel free to flesh out your parts of this page. Everybody, see the OOC thread for session end and next steps.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Bell is barely picking at her food, an enormous, elaborate salad with prawns and vegetables cut into weird shapes, while Ambassador Bell is eating her identical salad with evident enjoyment. Her dialogue is also in brief snatches, no whole conversation.

"But... you won the revolution!"
"Why Tormentosa? All we have are baseball players, musicians, and criminals."
The third image of her has no dialogue, just shows her dabbing at her eyes with a linen napkin, all by herself at a table for two, surrounded by cheerful adults having dinner.

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Jennifer Calley aka Gem aka Likes her Coffee Dark

Smiling at Tankbuster's story, Jen holds the coffee mug close to her, enjoying its warmth just as much as the warmth she feels at Tankbuster's presence. Even when he was angry during their first meeting, he never treated her as anything other than a person with her own agency, unlike her parents. Also, she appreciates the sheer attractiveness of the large, muscular man. She's not sure if he searches for form-fitting shirts or if his muscular build makes most shirts form-fitting, but she guiltily likes the effect anyway.

Of course, when she closes her eyes, her mind shows her every super-strong muscle at play underneath his naked skin.

She feels a blush creeping across her cheeks, and not for the first time. Diamond's presence is often close when Tankbuster is near and it becomes harder to separate her memories and thoughts from Jen's own. Diamond's desire and love for Tankbuster color the world around her, and Jen loves that emotional cocktail.

Watching a face that has not changed from Diamond's memories, Jen knows that it is a dangerous emotional game that she is playing against herself, but she cannot yet bring herself to stop. Her dreams don't hurt anyone, and he has never indicated anything more extreme than professional affability.

Diamond's voice whispers in her mind, <Careful. He can be dangerous.>

Jen leans back in her seat as she takes a drink. The moment is ruined, and she is not sure why Diamond was warning her about someone whose powers eclipsed her own currently, though that would not always be the case.

Later, she sits on the floor of Diamond's bedroom and tries to establish a rapport with Diamond. To enter the right frame of mind, she focuses on Diamond's heroics and how her own actions while saving people made her feel.

Saving people is what I am dedicating my life to, she thinks, so what should I be doing about Tankbuster? Is he in danger? Is he threatening others?

OOC: Fireside Chat (+Savior): 2d6+2 11

On a hit, they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through.

Last edited:

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We see Diamond in a ghostly form, though that's probably just what Gem sees.

"Don't make him angry, and don't press him about losing me--his grief threatens to claim him."

caption said:
Sanguine Squad in...
The Comet's Tail

Be sure to join us next issue for more fights! more drama! more laughs!
More Sanguine Squad!

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Issue #2

We open with shots of the Glen Jacobs posting from before. This time we can read the end of it more clearly:

Glen Jacobs article said:
But who are the Sanguine Squad, and what do they intend to accomplish? Are they just another flash-in-the-pan young group of supers, or is there something deeper at play? Where do their loyalties lie?

If you know the answers or have leads, please let me know at Glen.Jacobs@thespotlight.com
Who are the Sanguine Squad?

Ehri and Shrapnel
We see Ehri and Shrapnel, in civilian guises. Ehri checks her appearance, then they head out. Ash/Shrapnel says, "We need to find out about that woman who got away, but I have to make a stop first."

We see that the stop is a fancy super-science lab, and we follow the two into the lobby. Then see Ash say, "Hi, mom."

OOC:
Ash, what is your mom unhappy with you about? Is that common?
Ehri, whose idea was it for you to accompany Ash on her info gathering? If it wasn't yours, why did you agree to it?

Quicksilver and Bell
Quicksilver and Bell are getting ready to do some power-testing together.

OOC:
Quicksilver, is there enough room within the base to do this? If not, where are you doing it?
Bell, what are you wanting to try out?

Brick and Gem
Brick and Gem are out for a run. It's a beautiful day--lots of people are out, and you get some looks, but no one's hassling you.

OOC:
Brick, how unhappy are you about Shrapnel and Ehri going off together?
Gem, does anyone on the team know about your crush on Tankbuster?

Last edited:
Top Bottom