• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Masks: Sanguine Squad

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ehri nodded. That was good sense... it was a shame that she couldn't come up with one in a hurry. On the spot, she picked the first thing she could think of...

"...call me Cub," she said. Wonderful. The first thing she can think of was what the generals called her when she was a child.
Brick frowns under her 'maask' and tries to think of something. Names had never been a strong suit of hers, but her outfit kind of matched the detectives from old films, didn't it?

"I'm Noir, then," she says.
"Hmmm..." Stitch slightly raises her eyebrow at Ehri's pick, but is mostly focused on coming up with her own name. "Hmm. Widow? Too dark?"
 

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
Oh, hell.

Shrapnel's flippant attitude vanishes as soon as Carlo gives his name. She's heard whispers of this guy, but thankfully never ran into him before. A hired killer who deliberately takes on hard targets for the thrill and the challenge. Rumour is he's even taken down a few capes in his time. Finch really isn't pulling any punches.

But she can't just run. The Squad needs more time, and she's not letting Carlo go after them instead. Besides, the guy is too dangerous to leave at large. If Finch wanted, she could send him after Ash at home or college.

"I'm not afraid," she calls out defiantly. "I've faced a lot worse than a guy with a bow. Give me your best shot."

And with that ill-considered choice of words, she dives off the roof, dropping most of the way to the ground before turning sharply, zig-zagging towards the other roof in an attempt to throw off his aim.

OOC: Shrapnel is going to Engage, but do you want an Unleash or something first to get close without getting shot?
 

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Hmmm..." Stitch slightly raises her eyebrow at Ehri's pick, but is mostly focused on coming up with her own name. "Hmm. Widow? Too dark?"
"It'll do," said Ehri. "Now let's move while Shrapnel buys us time."

She set out to slip into the building, using the information she'd gathered on their previous visit.
 

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, hell.

Shrapnel's flippant attitude vanishes as soon as Carlo gives his name. She's heard whispers of this guy, but thankfully never ran into him before. A hired killer who deliberately takes on hard targets for the thrill and the challenge. Rumour is he's even taken down a few capes in his time. Finch really isn't pulling any punches.

But she can't just run. The Squad needs more time, and she's not letting Carlo go after them instead. Besides, the guy is too dangerous to leave at large. If Finch wanted, she could send him after Ash at home or college.

"I'm not afraid," she calls out defiantly. "I've faced a lot worse than a guy with a bow. Give me your best shot."

And with that ill-considered choice of words, she dives off the roof, dropping most of the way to the ground before turning sharply, zig-zagging towards the other roof in an attempt to throw off his aim.

OOC: Shrapnel is going to Engage, but do you want an Unleash or something first to get close without getting shot?
"Delightful!" Carlo replies. "Let's play."

But he doesn't immediately open fire, instead stepping back from the edge of the roof and waiting for you to come to him.

OOC: Go ahead with Engage, if that's your plan.

"It'll do," said Ehri. "Now let's move while Shrapnel buys us time."

She set out to slip into the building, using the information she'd gathered on their previous visit.
You aren't sure what Shrapnel's up to exactly, but it must be working to some extent. The three of you are able to get to the building and in through a window without any immediate response. The place seems different at night, though a couple of lights stay on - but without all the young professionals bustling about, it seems a little eerie.

Most of the laptops people work from are gone, probably taken home to allow more hours working. But a few remain, and there's even one desktop system present.
 

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
"Delightful!" Carlo replies. "Let's play."

But he doesn't immediately open fire, instead stepping back from the edge of the roof and waiting for you to come to him.
When Shrapnel rises up to the rooftop, there's a manhole cover floating in front of her, positioned to block his shot.

"Oh, you want to play?" she fires back, and sends it spinning towards him, like a cast-iron Frisbee. "Catch."

OOC: Engage gets a 9. That's a hit, and I'll avoid his blows.
 

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When Shrapnel rises up to the rooftop, there's a manhole cover floating in front of her, positioned to block his shot.

"Oh, you want to play?" she fires back, and sends it spinning towards him, like a cast-iron Frisbee. "Catch."

OOC: Engage gets a 9. That's a hit, and I'll avoid his blows.
OOC: Your hit counts: the below is just narrating it in a manner consistent with this character.

Carlo lightly rolls backwards, the manhole cover skimming over him. As he rolls casually to his feet, he says, "Excellent! Lash out, young Skywalker. Anything to prevent yourself from acknowledging the pain you've inflicted on this woman who loves you. Don't think about how she trusted you, and how you are even now abusing that trust to...what? Make yourself feel better? Make your new friends trust you? Keep yourself safe behind your mask?"
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Stitch
Guilty, Afraid, Hopeless, Insecure, Angry
1 burn


Most of the laptops people work from are gone, probably taken home to allow more hours working. But a few remain, and there's even one desktop system present.
'Widow' eyes the desktop like it's a baited snare. "I think I've watched too many spy movies," she whispers. "Anything that looks convenient looks too convenient," she mutters.

The black-suited heroine glances around suspiciously. Hopefully this Blackfinch was trusting enough of their technological superiority to not research anti-psychic defenses. Maybe she could sweep for any spiders waiting beyond the normal security goons. She draws deep into herself, preparing for the task of sending her aura around the whole building quickly enough to be useful.

That was a mistake.

It had been too long since she pushed like this, and the lingering hunger there, she just wasn't ready for it. Especially since she hadn't fed it, refused to feed it. And right now, near her, there was only Beth, so magically infused with life, and Ehri, who she was already so close to and surely wouldn't notice just a brush against her life-force...

"Aaaaa..." 'Widow' drops to one knee, clutching her head. Too much, she was so tired, tired of this landmine buried in her brain. It's all she can do to keep from screaming about her inability to control it. While she has the focus of the anger - before it simmers down into self-pity and resentment - she casts her senses out, feeling for any other people in the building. There should be a few guards, but if there's more...
OOC: charge powers: 2d6+1 4 Well... crap.
I guess, Afraid, Hopeless, and Insecure, too? And 2 burn. Will then mark Angry to ask "Is there anyone here in the building, ready to come after us?"

...yeah, she needs some help, badly ^^
 

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
OOC: Your hit counts: the below is just narrating it in a manner consistent with this character.

Carlo lightly rolls backwards, the manhole cover skimming over him. As he rolls casually to his feet, he says, "Excellent! Lash out, young Skywalker. Anything to prevent yourself from acknowledging the pain you've inflicted on this woman who loves you. Don't think about how she trusted you, and how you are even now abusing that trust to...what? Make yourself feel better? Make your new friends trust you? Keep yourself safe behind your mask?"
Shrapnel lands in front of Carlo, circling warily. "Are you seriously trying to make me out to be the bad guy here?" she snarls. "You literally murder people for money. And Finch..."

She breaks off. She's trying to tell herself that this guy is just trying to get a rise out of her, but his words still sting, the pain and guilt of the broken relationship still there despite everything that's happened since.

"...I never wanted to hurt her," she says, more quietly. "I wish things could have been different. She was my first love and that's never going to change. But I'm not who I was, and she's not who I thought she was, and I can't stay loyal to a memory."

At least talking will buy more time. Better than getting shot at.

OOC: You know, a mean way to pay off that fail on the gadgets roll would be for Brick's piece of the magic coin to accidentally pick up some of that...
 

Chaomancer

CotTS High Magician
Validated User
Brick circles the room warily, keeping an eye out for other dangers and leaving the others to handle the high-tech side. She's aware that she's dangerously out of her depth as far as the computers go, but every burglary team needs muscle on standby, right?

The broken coin in vibrates with magical energies, carrying Shrapnel's voice with it, and Brick freezes. Her jaw tightens and her shoulders flex as she hears snippets of conversation.

"-my first love and that's never going to change."
 

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Shrapnel lands in front of Carlo, circling warily. "Are you seriously trying to make me out to be the bad guy here?" she snarls. "You literally murder people for money. And Finch..."

She breaks off. She's trying to tell herself that this guy is just trying to get a rise out of her, but his words still sting, the pain and guilt of the broken relationship still there despite everything that's happened since.

"...I never wanted to hurt her," she says, more quietly. "I wish things could have been different. She was my first love and that's never going to change. But I'm not who I was, and she's not who I thought she was, and I can't stay loyal to a memory."

At least talking will buy more time. Better than getting shot at.

OOC: You know, a mean way to pay off that fail on the gadgets roll would be for Brick's piece of the magic coin to accidentally pick up some of that...
"That's the advantage of being an assassin," Carlo replies lightly. "I get paid to kill people, and I don't have to worry about who is the bad guy."

With that, he fires off a shot before you can even respond. But it...just grazes your shoulder? There's not even any blood.

Except it's damaged your costume: one of the straps that helps hold the armor in place is cut through. It's okay for now, you can keep it in place with a little power surge--but if he gets off another shot like that, you'll be in a bind - either needing to drop the armor, or focus on keeping it in place, and forget using it for "flying" like you normally do.

OOC: No mechanical effect at this point.
 
Top Bottom