• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Masks: The Spiderweb

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, Why does it feel so good to be so bad?)

OOC:
Something about the young hoodlum's enthusiasm despite his broken arm is encouraging and gets through to you; Dizzy takes Influence over you and he's shifting Freak down and Danger up.
Theresa finds herself liking the ganger in spite of her better judgment, but his assertion that she was fronting and rejection of her desire to go after the Spider's organization pisses her off.

OOC: Rejecting Influence
Influence Rejection: 2d6+2 6 - well, hell. Marking Angry.
Not what I expected, but at least I got another XP. Technically, I'm at 7, so I do need to choose an Advancement for Rook.
In prep for the fight (which appears to be significantly more unlikely after everything in the post) and based on what has been happening and what she wants to be, I'll go with +1 Freak / +1 Savior.

She turns to William and nods at his words, appreciating his wisdom.

"That's the thing, right? We aren't really the kind of people that are reasonable. We don't front. We don't bow to pressure. We make a generous offer, and we expect it to be heard."

Her eyes flicker briefly to the restaurant as her thoughts drift to the restaurant owner, terrified of the world outside. Her control of her emotions is slipping, and her face shifts from guilt to anger as she turns back to the ganger.

"I want the Spider's entire organization gone. You don't need to help, but you sure as hell better stay out of the way and not tell them shit."

She crosses her arms and glares.

"Get Rico here now, or I'll continue this discussion with your replacement."

OOC: Provoooooke them to give in. -2 due to Guilty.
Provoooooooke: 2d6-1 11 - Boom

Last edited:

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Rook, Measure, the Knight

There isn't really much to say after Rook drops that truth bomb. Dizzy stops his half-assed flirting and makes a swooping motion with his good arm, and the rest of the Kings step to and follow him back out of the cut-de-sac and down the street. There are a few looks back from the troops, and a lot of those faces look relieved. The King that was talking to the Knight gives him a mock-salute back and grabs the AEGIS riot gun before he goes, stuffing it under his baggy jacket.

In a few minutes, the three young heroes are alone --almost. The final panel shows all three of them in front of Lucky Tiger. The owner's face is seen, almost ghostly, behind one of the upstairs windows looking out at them. The sun is going down soon. It's been a hell of a day.

END BOOK ONE

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
OOC: Good time to roll an 11

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
INTERMISSION: BLACKOUT

Matty is working on his homework, still feeling pretty good about how things went, when his dad calls him downstairs. There, he finds his mother crying quietly and his dad looking grim. His dad says with no preamble, "I just found out who it was that fell from the bridge. It was your Uncle Tony. I wanted you to hear it from me. We're going to have to be careful for a little while now..."

Uncle Tony is Tony Pavone, the younger brother of Luca Pavone, the leader of the Pavone crime family, who's your dad's boss. Unlike Luca, Tony came around socially sometimes, and you have memories of him in your house since you were little. He was a funny guy, generous to others, hot-tempered. He used to call you "Champ." Now he's gone.
What's your strongest memory of "Uncle" Tony Pavone?

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
INTERMISSION: MEASURE

It's been a couple days after the Day the Guy Fell From the Sky, and everybody stopped talking about it after they found out who it was. Crime is not as interesting as rock n' roll suicide, and besides -- it's not smart to talk about the Pavones. They've got an old-fashioned sense of honor. You're with Tommy, who is uncontrollably excited about the new production and won't stop talking about it, when you see the first of the new graffitis. It's dead simple, stenciled onto the wall of the gym at school: A skull wearing a top hat, and the words BACK THE HAT beneath it.

Tommy stares at it for a moment, then shrugs. "That's cool. I'll have to look them up on Spotify..." Over the days to come, you see them everywhere, without any explanation.

Last edited:

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
INTERMISSION: THE KNIGHT

One day while you're helping the owner's daughter restock shelves in the Oasis, she impulsively turns to you and hugs you. "I don't know what you did, but the gang kids are nice now! They used to steal Cokes and call dad a raghead behind his back, but now they just pay and get out like normal people. It's a miracle!"

Her mother who sees all and knows all while standing at the counter making falafel sandwiches, appears and clears her throat, giving her daughter a warning glance, then smiles at you. "It is true, alhamdollilah, they give us no trouble. Thank you," she says, and adds dryly, "Don't get caught."

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
INTERMISSION: ROOK

Rook gets a call from Paladin to meet at the gym, and when you arrive, Bolo's there too, looking back to normal, except for an embarrassed expression. Paladin greets you warmly and says, "You know, I was pissed off when you told me you wouldn't cover for me with his mother... but you were right. I called her myself, and we got to talking, and, well,..."

Bolo rolls his eyes. "My parents are dating again," he says with a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

Paladin grins and nods. "I've been a mentor to this guy right here, when I should have been his father. So we're gonna try to make things work as a family for a while and let y'all pick up the slack... things have been pretty quiet anyway since dude fell, right? And I'll still be here if you break your arm or your heart, but you got this, Rook."
Do you ask Paladin for anything before you go? What's your biggest worry with Paladin and Bolo sidelined?

Last edited:

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, thinking it through)

Do you ask Paladin for anything before you go? What's your biggest worry with Paladin and Bolo sidelined?
Theresa looks at the two of them in barely concealed surprise.

"Umm... ok. It's nice to see my devious plans come to fruition. I guess?"

She shakes her head, then adds, "So, I think you know that we cut a deal with the Kings, right? They behave and start acting more like guardians of the neighborhood, and we ignore the shit that they do that is actually victimless and I come help them protect their territory from the outside."

She takes a breath.

"But they need reinforcement... not just in terms of physical violence, but moral reinforcement. You know, a role model."

She meets Paladin's eyes.

"What do you think of the idea of training some of these guys? Teaching them how to be... more like you?"

She shrugs and says, "Not all of them, obviously, just the ones that you think have promise. The path that I'm on right now... There's a good chance that we'll wind up dead, and then someone else will need to help protect the people of the UEB."

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
THE KNIGHT
One day while you're helping the owner's daughter restock shelves in the Oasis, she impulsively turns to you and hugs you. "I don't know what you did, but the gang kids are nice now! They used to steal Cokes and call dad a raghead behind his back, but now they just pay and get out like normal people. It's a miracle!"

Her mother who sees all and knows all while standing at the counter making falafel sandwiches, appears and clears her throat, giving her daughter a warning glance, then smiles at you. "It is true, alhamdollilah, they give us no trouble. Thank you," she says, and adds dryly, "Don't get caught."
"I'll try not to get caught," K promised. "I'm glad that someone taught them some manners, but I don't know if I can take sole credit for it."

Had this been the result of the advice given about a more moderate approach? Had that actually worked? Or had this just been the memory of what the Knight was capable of? It was hard to say, but at least he'd bought a little bit of peace to this corner of the city. That was satisfying, as a leftover falafel sandwich would also be satisfying in a few hours when they were more up for grabs.

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

Will raises an eyebrow at the graffiti when he sees it for the first time. After the fourth, however, he begins to worry.
I'm being paranoid - I wear a hat, but I'm not a skeleton. Whatever this is, it isn't me.

He quietly google searches the phrase, and tries to see what areas or neighbourhoods they appear more often.

Eventually, he brings it up again with Tommy. "So did you find that band on Spotify? Back the Hat?"

INTERMISSION: MEASURE

It's been a couple days after the Day the Guy Fell From the Sky, and everybody stopped talking about it after they found out who it was. Crime is not as interesting as rock n' roll suicide, and besides -- it's not smart to talk about the Pavones. They've got an old-fashioned sense of honor. You're with Tommy, who is uncontrollably excited about the new production and won't stop talking about it, when you see the first of the new graffitis. It's dead simple, stenciled onto the wall of the gym at school: A skull wearing a top hat, and the words BACK THE HAT beneath it.

Tommy stares at it for a moment, then shrugs. "That's cool. I'll have to look them up on Spotify..." Over the days to come, you see them everywhere, without any explanation.

Top Bottom