• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Masks: The Spiderweb

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Matty Morrican, Blackout

Matty should have been in his element. The man on the ground first, hood up but skeleton hoodie open, mask not yet on. Pacing, watching… and stewing about this morning.

Ever since Uncle Tony died, the Wraith had become more paranoid and protective of his son than ever. The word ‘curfew’ had never been said outright, but it was pretty much what his Dad was doing. It made it really hard for Matty to have any sort of life at all, given he needed to make time for homework, Drama Club, his exploits as Blackout… and, dare he say it, having a girlfriend, all as well as getting home on time. It was time for it to stop. It had been a week now, surely that was enough?
As it turned out, his Dad had disagreed with Matty’s view on things.
Which led to a shouting match.
Which led to Matty storming out of the house early, spurning his usual ride to school.
And that, at present, including the precise words he used as he left, was now making him the world’s worst point man.
He was tired, distracted… and this wasn’t a place to be either.
Blackout

It didn't help matters that your dad had got it into his head that the girl you like is called "Sally" and keeps referring to her in awkward-dad moments. He even suggested you invite her over for dinner -- although whether that's so he can gather information about her, or so that you're off the streets and behind bulletproof glass as much as possible, you can't tell. He even had a tailor come to the house to fit you for a new black suit since the old one that you wore the last time a Pavone got knocked off is too small for you now. You can tell he's under a lot of stress but he doesn't want to let on to you -- and you can't let on how much you really know about it. It makes for a lot of long, moody silences on the drives to school, which he has been insisting on doing lately.

Right now, you can see other young people in hoodies going in and out of the Jungle, a little like bees in a hive, if the hive were made out of old tents and tarps. It's not really very much like a beehive, in fact. Even Shakespeare couldn't make that metaphor work. But you figure that you could slip in there easily enough, just one more kid in a hoodie, if you had a plan about what to do after that. What do you do?
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
The Knight
"Be careful," said the Knight. "I'm told that their defenses include unusually vicious dogs; let's keep an eye out."

At the moment, the Knight was more K; there wasn't an immediate threat or memory, after all. He kept his sword-- well, a baseball bat-- loosely held in one hand. It didn't need to be more, yet, but the time would come...

Measure

Measure went back to Marianne the Cat Lady a few days back to check on her and see if she had anything specific she needed. He hadn't really gotten a chance to investigate much about what's happened in the Jungle, so he didn't bring it up. He does want to figure out something to do, though, since it just seems ungentlemanly to ignore a marginal person who has such a simple desire. And he also needs to investigate The Hat that is worthy of respect... sigh, so much mysteries to be delved, so little time.

He also makes sure to sketch out the lighting for the next production of the drama club. He makes sure to make it simple, straightforward, and effective. He suspects he will not have time to develop something more intricate, but he doesn't want to shirk his responsibilities either.

As for the warehouse, William can't help but expect a degree of synchronicity: Somehow, the fates will likely connect this with one of the other mysteries around.

OOC: Eventually, Measure is going to want to assess the situation involving the warehouse, but he'll want to talk with the others first.

The Knight and Measure

As if on cue, you can hear yips and growls from down the street. Nothing major, just the bored compulsive barking of a guard dog with a lot of surplus energy, every time someone comes near. Mr Doaks and his gentrification company haven't made it down this close to the river and maybe never will, so the streets are nearly empty except for the occasional car or van moving fast.

You've found a good place to keep overwatch, a burnt out building so old the graffiti is fading and UEB crown on the tags have four points, not three like they do now. It's like something out of history class, what do they call it? Oh right, a midden. Where a primitive people throw away all their crap and it gets pounded down in a layer that archaeologists can dig through later to understand the history of the place. This shell of a place has been a shooting gallery and a party place and probably a squatter's dwelling, judging from the decaying mattress in the corner, but now it's just a shell full of trash, bottles and wrappers and cans and probably a few needles to keep things interesting, but you get can get eyes on the warehouse, partly, and on the Jungle, partly, which makes it a pretty good lookout.

Knight and Measure, both of you know some homeless folks by sight, for different reasons, and you might be able to find some of them in the Jungle. Measure, you think you saw the cat lady rolling around by the front door, but you can't be sure, there might be more folks in wheelchairs in there.
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, an unquiet mind)

Theresa nods at the warning from Knight.

"Yeah, heard them yipping about before and brought some cuts of meat to distract them," Theresa says. "We'll see if knowledge gained from movies and tv is worthwhile. I would hate to have my childhood betray me."


The leadership of the Kings have been swearing that they don't have any real knowledge of what is going down in the Jungle as the homeless have no money to burn on vice, but Rook is not sure that she can afford to trust them. She's been seeing more people in their colors hanging about in the area, though she hasn't made an approach and is somewhat sure that she has not been spotted.

The situation has added several bullets to her growing itemized list of concerns that she does not have time to deal with.
* Is the leadership of the Kings jerking her around?
* Is a schism forming in the Kings, so some of them are doing things that their nominal leadership don't know anything about?
* Are the god-forsaken idiots actually trying to help her by getting more information?

Theresa's not sure which is the worst option, really.

But her biggest worry right now, the one that will lead her to borrowing K's bat and going to town on whole butt-loads of people, is that Christina has started taking martial arts training at the dojo and been giving all the signals of wanting to date (or, god forbid, having already started dating) one of the gods-be-damned Kings hanging out there.
Rook

The last time you saw Rico, he looked like he'd lost weight and he was looking all 'round him like he was worried about getting sneaked up on. Dizzy suggested a "peace dinner" to seal the deal and gave you his phone number, scrawled on the bottom of a school counselor's business card. And Christina brought up "some kid called Dizzy" in a faux-casual way that sounded like she was laying the groundwork for a suggestion you won't like later on, like a double date. It's getting harder to keep worlds from colliding, here in the UEB, the nosiest neighborhood in Halcyon City.

Yeah, you're seeing people in hoodies coming and going like it's the new uniform, and it's hard to identify them or tell if they're Kings, or these other thugs whom nobody knows nothing about, or what. It's not like you've got telephoto lenses and a surveillance van like the cops, it's just teenagers in an abandoned building. You could sure follow somebody and see where they go, but that means splitting up the group. What do you do?
 

Hyena_Creative

Constant Giggler
Validated User
Blackout

It didn't help matters that your dad had got it into his head that the girl you like is called "Sally" and keeps referring to her in awkward-dad moments. He even suggested you invite her over for dinner -- although whether that's so he can gather information about her, or so that you're off the streets and behind bulletproof glass as much as possible, you can't tell. He even had a tailor come to the house to fit you for a new black suit since the old one that you wore the last time a Pavone got knocked off is too small for you now. You can tell he's under a lot of stress but he doesn't want to let on to you -- and you can't let on how much you really know about it. It makes for a lot of long, moody silences on the drives to school, which he has been insisting on doing lately.

Right now, you can see other young people in hoodies going in and out of the Jungle, a little like bees in a hive, if the hive were made out of old tents and tarps. It's not really very much like a beehive, in fact. Even Shakespeare couldn't make that metaphor work. But you figure that you could slip in there easily enough, just one more kid in a hoodie, if you had a plan about what to do after that. What do you do?
OOC: I hope you don't mind DannyK DannyK , but I'll hold off on responding until we solidify the plan in OOC. What we've decided beforehand will influence Matty's actions
 

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, a bit of a wallflower right now)
You could sure follow somebody and see where they go, but that means splitting up the group. What do you do?
Theresa watches the movements of the hooded people, but sticks with the others.

"Time to shit or get off the pot, I think," she says softly. "How are we handling this? I go up and ask some of these idiots what's going on?"
 

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

Measure shrugs. "I would never think to argue with you, as you know."

He fixes his hat. "However, if you give me a few moments before you make inquiries, I will attempt to be in a position that would allow us to outflank them without their knowledge."

It would seem he is trying to speak in an oddly proper way while in costume. This is not the 1st time.
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Measure, you noticed another of those annoying "Back the Hat" stenciled graffiti on the wall of the building you're , this time placed partially over a faded UEB Kings tag. As far as you can tell, nobody is watching over the approaches to the homeless jungle and you could find a good position without much trouble.

Knight, you recognized someone! The King you talked to briefly last week, the one who was playing with the AEGIS riot gun, the guy with the flat voice and the smile that didn't reach his eyes, he just walked up to the main entrance of the homeless encampment and he's looking around like he's trying to find somebody.
 

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Knight, you recognized someone! The King you talked to briefly last week, the one who was playing with the AEGIS riot gun, the guy with the flat voice and the smile that didn't reach his eyes, he just walked up to the main entrance of the homeless encampment and he's looking around like he's trying to find somebody.
Well, that wasn't good. K moved up to keep an eye on where he was going and what he was doing, and be ready to act when he did.
 

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

As measure gets to position, he double checks to see if it was, in fact, the cat lady.

OOC: I am assuming this a version of assess the situation?
If so, I rolled an 8, which means I get to ask 1 question. Is it the cat lady?
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Well, that wasn't good. K moved up to keep an eye on where he was going and what he was doing, and be ready to act when he did.
K, you creep closer and you see that the guy seems to be arguing with somebody, lots of angry hand gestures, but you can't hear what they're saying from here. You'll need to get closer or do something tricky.

Measure

As measure gets to position, he double checks to see if it was, in fact, the cat lady.

Measure, you're pretty sure it's her, looking a little more tired and disheveled than the last time you saw her, and it strikes you that she's going to be in trouble if a big fight breaks out in the Jungle, since she's frail and in a wheelchair. Unless she's tougher than she looks, which is possible.

OOC: I am assuming this a version of assess the situation?
If so, I rolled an 8, which means I get to ask 1 question. Is it the cat lady?
 
Top Bottom