IC Masks: The Spiderweb

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
OOC: Christina has influence over Rook. Theresa has convinced herself that she has been subconsciously manipulating Christina's emotions towards her for a long time and feels very guilty about it. She is very cautious about not attempting any mental trickery toward Christina.
Rook
Oh, also, Christina is fussing at you to let them help you. “You think you’re so smart but you need a hand sometimes just like anyone else.”
OOC:
Rook, Christina is shifting your Superior down and your Mundane up. Adults and friends do this all the time to young heroes!
Do you accept this?

OOC: also, I like the idea that Christina thinks Measure is kind of cute, but Measure is totally oblivious
OOC:
Lol. If William follows the ancient rules of shipping he will now fall for Christina.
 

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

Tommy looks amused. "Fine, man, be that way. I was going to tell you your 'ship name but whatever."
William furrows his brow. "...You keep talking about ships and shipping. I don't get it. What do ships have to do with relatio-" His eyes widen. "...oooh."

Tommy grins in exasperation. "You really choose to not have a clue sometimes, you know that?" The bus halts, as if to add a punctuation to Tommy's comment.

William weakly shrugs and nods before standing up.


Measure, there's a big senior standing by the front door who starts to glare at you and Tommy -- but then he sort of crumples, almost falls until he leans heavily on the brick wall of the school. He looks back up at you, but his face is pale and his eyes are shining with tears, and then he's turned and run into the school.
Tommy laughs and says something bitchy about Drama Club, but it didn't look like acting to you, it looked like real emotion. And in your coat, your phone keeps buzzing, but--
Now Rook's friend is calling to you, quietly and intensely. "Hey, moron! Yeah, you! You wanna be a gentleman and help me get my cousin off the pavement?"

Rook, you're out of breath and sitting down, and your cousin Christina is freaked out and asking this strange boy (whom you know already, of course) to help you get to the nurse's office. What do you do?
William's eyes dart between Tommy and Rook and the senior. He then reacts directly to the shaming Christina throws at him. "I'm coming!"

"Uh, Tommy, I'll see you at lunch."

Tommy, shrugs and heads into the school.

William offers Christina and Rook an apologetic smile. "Bad morning?" His phone continues its droning vibration as he tries to help her up.
 
Last edited:

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
OOC:
Lol. If William follows the ancient rules of shipping he will now fall for Christina.
OOC: A Victorian gentleman falling for someone... prepare for maximum denial, cluelessness, and angst!
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Charging in would be tempting, but... it wasn't really clear what was going on in there. Maybe taking that extra moment to check was a good plan.

OOC: Assess: 2d6+1: 7 [2d6=1, 5] Okay. What's the biggest threat here?
The Knight

The leader looks tough, but after you stare at the scene for a minute, you decide the biggest threat is the guy with the can of gasoline. In a wooden structure.
 

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Knight nodded to Bolo, then to his target-- the one with the gasoline. And then there was no time to waste, no time to hesitate or hold back. There was only battle, and a sawed-off broomstick being used like a sword!

OOC: Could we Engage more Directly? I think not. Assess just kicks that up to 2d6+3: 10 [2d6=3, 4]
Well, I'll create an opportunity for Bolo, and take the gasoline away from the guy holding it. Sure, I might get a counterattack, but why be The Bull if you worry about that too much?
 

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, wondering "How you like me now?")
Oh, also, Christina is fussing at you to let them help you. “You think you’re so smart but you need a hand sometimes just like anyone else.”
OOC: Rejecting Christina's Influence...
Reject Influence: 2d6+2 12
- clear a condition or mark potential by immediately acting to prove them wrong
- shift one Label up (Danger) and one Label (Mundane) down, your choice
- cancel their Influence and take +1 forward against them

Theresa slaps away William's hand as she turns her head to Christina. "I'm not normal and haven't been for a long time."

Painfully, Theresa rises up to her feet. Her eyes holding Christina's, she reaches up her arms, and stretches to her left and right. With supreme effort, she avoids wincing at the pain shooting up and down her side.

"Pain just makes me violent. Or violent-er, I guess," she adds with a lopsided grin.

Turning to William, she says sweetly, "And check your gods-be-damned phone, before it gets shoved down your cakehole. It may be someone who actually needs your help."
 
Last edited:

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

William frowns with disappointment at Rook's insistence to be tough. It's going to cause her big trouble one of these days. He also feels a bit bad for Christina - she's just trying to help...

But this can't be helped right now, so he takes Rook's advice and checks his phone. He sees the text and quickly puts the phone back in his pocket.

"My homeroom is near Theresa's locker. Given she's already annoyed at you for trying to care, I'd happily take her off your hands."

He looks at Rook a bit more intently. "Besides, I'm sure she'll be fine soon, and back to causing the trouble she likes to cause." His tone is a bit strange, and he hopes Rook catches his drift.
 
Last edited:

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, May need a miracle)

Theresa avoids rolling her eyes at William's lack of subtlety. I was the one who told you about your phone message, goofball. I already knew what was on it.

She turns to Christina and gives her a hug. "She knows I'm always annoyed at everyone."

Into Christina's ear, she whispers, "It will be ok, I need to go save some people."

She releases Christina and tries to figure how they can get excused while causing minimal further trouble.

OOC: Assess the Situation:
Assess (+Superior): 2d6+2 7 - 1 question + 1 (?) from "Criminal Mind"
* how could we best end this quickly?
* how could I best infuriate or provoke Christina?

That is, what is the best way to get an excused absence from school? As alluded to in the OOC thread, I was thinking going to a teacher or nurse to get an excused absence for Measure and Rook. Just want confirmation (and a bonus +1) to doing that, if possible. Also, if Criminal Mind allows a BONUS question, then Rook wants to know how she can get Christina to acquiesce to let her go (understanding "provoke" in the sense of getting her to do what she wants).
 
Last edited:

Hyena_Creative

Registered User
Validated User
OOC:
Hey all, DannyK was saying it was alright to catch myself up straight away, so I've tried to dovetail in with what you've already got. If I need to change stuff, I can, but hopefully this is ok.


Matty Morrican, "Blackout"

Staring at the computer screen with glazed eyes, Matty was just starting to nod off when there was a banging at his bedroom door.
“Junior! Hurry up! Your mother put a lot of effort into breakfast, and we have to rush already. Don’t make things worse.”
Matty sighed. It took him a lot of effort for him not to bite back, particularly at his dad’s insistence on calling him Junior. It sounded all too much like he was doomed to turn into a copy of his dad. He shuddered at the thought.
“Yeah, yeah, just a sec,” he called back.
He tapped a couple of keys, saved the code he’d been working on. The file name Blackout.exe had a little pixelated black cat as its logo. He pulled out the thumbdrive, put it in his pocket. After a moment’s thought, he pulled off his shirt, sprayed himself liberally with deodorant, and pulled on a new one. When he opened his door, the smell of burning toast assaulted his nostrils. Now he knew why his dad had chosen the words he did… Don’t make things worse…


“Promise me one thing, Junior,” his dad said seriously.
“What’s that?” Matty asked as he got into the car, trying not to flinch as he slammed the door.
“When you start dating, always make sure that the people you like can cook.”
Matty rolled his eyes.
“Why not just learn to cook myself?”
His dad laughed, and the car started moving.
They weren’t far down the road when the message came through.
“Fifth and Sally…” he whispered to himself.
“What was that?” his father asked, looking at him suspiciously.
Shit.
Matty inwardly kicked himself. He had to remember to keep his guard up. It wasn’t as if anything had changed, not really, but given what he’d managed to find out about his dad, he might put himself in a lot of danger, and the others too. Time to improvise.
“There’s this girl Sally from school, we’re… um… we’re pretty close…” he shifted a little in his seat, tried to suggest embarrassment in his body language.
“So what did she ask you for?”
“To meet her before school… She lives really close… I can walk from here, Dad.”
His dad grinned as he pulled over.
“You’re a chip off the old block, Junior. Being late to school because of a girl. Can she cook?”
Hopping out of the car, looking about for the right direction, Matty managed a “See you tonight, Dad” before he closed the door.
Then he was running down the street, as fast as he could.
The building site wasn’t too far.
He just hoped he’d be in time to help.
 

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Knight

One goon looked up as The Knight approached, and didn't know. He saw a skinny latino punk with a stick.

"What the hell do you think you're doing here, kid?" he said, laughing. "Why are you even here?"

The skinny latino punk with a stick suddenly grinned.

"To fight for the right, without question or pause," he said, and then The Knight was on them like a thunderbolt. Was that really just a stick? For a moment, somehow, it gleamed like a sword... the one who'd spoken fell without another word; the others scattered in momentary confusion, and the foe was among them-- and the gas can was swept up from its stunned holder and tossed out along the sidewalk, far from the structure.

Now, of course, K was among them, and it could have been safer, but that wasn't the point. Bolo was there, and now had the opening he needed, and would be along shortly. K had faith.

It was, in its own way, K's defining trait.
 
Top Bottom