• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Masks: The Spiderweb

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, May need a miracle)

Theresa avoids rolling her eyes at William's lack of subtlety. I was the one who told you about your phone message, goofball. I already knew what was on it.

She turns to Christina and gives her a hug. "She knows I'm always annoyed at everyone."

Into Christina's ear, she whispers, "It will be ok, I need to go save some people."

She releases Christina and tries to figure how they can get excused while causing minimal further trouble.

OOC: Assess the Situation:
Assess (+Superior): 2d6+2 7 - 1 question + 1 (?) from "Criminal Mind"
* how could we best end this quickly?
* how could I best infuriate or provoke Christina?

That is, what is the best way to get an excused absence from school? As alluded to in the OOC thread, I was thinking going to a teacher or nurse to get an excused absence for Measure and Rook. Just want confirmation (and a bonus +1) to doing that, if possible. Also, if Criminal Mind allows a BONUS question, then Rook wants to know how she can get Christina to acquiesce to let her go (understanding "provoke" in the sense of getting her to do what she wants).
Rook and Measure

Christina rolls her eyes. “Fine, Mother Theresa,” she says, “do your thing.” She adds in an intimate voice, “Don’t get killed or I’ll be grounded for a year.”
———
The school nurse looks stressed out when you come in to her office. It’s small but well stocked since Red Brick and UEB kids get hurt a lot. You can hear the sound of a young man sobbing coming from one of the two curtained-off alcoves.

“A little busy here,” she says by way of a greeting. “Whaddya need?”

Measure, the school counselor pushes past you and goes straight into the alcove and starts talking in a soft soothing voice to whoever is there. You think the kid’s voice is kinda familiar.

OOC:
I think Rook’s rejection of influence is enough to get Christina out of her hair. I bet she’s used to you leaving at weird times under flimsy pretexts.

You don’t need to make a Move to get excused from school, but I want to hear what you and Measure come up with. (I’m assuming William helps Theresa to the nurse’s office, let me know if you’re doing something else)
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Bolo

It’s like you can almost hear Paladin yelling at you while you do burpees, “Know your enemies! Know your friends!” Now the Knight is mixing it up in there like a cat among the pigeons while you’re caught looking... now, you get it! The Knight’s got everyone facing him and looking away from the truck you’re hiding behind. A can of gasoline goes rolling out of the building and down the sidewalk... to stop at at the leader’s feet.
This seems like your cue.

OOC:
So your failed roll on assess escalated the action and let the Knight rush in ahead of you but now you have a golden opportunity.
 
Last edited:

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, Provocateur)

Christina rolls her eyes. “Fine, Mother Theresa,” she says, “do your thing.” She adds in an intimate voice, “Don’t get killed or I’ll be grounded for a year.”
Theresa winks at Christina.

No promises, she thinks to herself.
The school nurse looks stressed out when you come in to her office. It’s small but well stocked since Red Brick and UEB kids get hurt a lot. You can hear the sound of a young man sobbing coming from one of the two curtained-off alcoves.

“A little busy here,” she says by way of a greeting. “Whaddya need?”

Measure, the school counselor pushes past you and goes straight into the alcove and starts talking in a soft soothing voice to whoever is there. You think the kid’s voice is kinda familiar.
Theresa makes sure to put on her best "pained and suffering, but bravely facing it" expression.

"No biggie. I need an excused absence to go to the free clinic down in UEB," Theresa says, careful to emphasize her lack of funds as she lifts up the side of her camisole to display her bruising. "Got hit by a truck last night and I don't think I'll get through the day properly without more drugs than you have. I barely got here."

She nods to Measure.

"It would be great if he could get an absence for at least a few periods to help me get there and back home. He's already helped me get this far."
 
Last edited:

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Matty Morrican, "Blackout"

“Promise me one thing, Junior,” his dad said seriously.
“What’s that?” Matty asked as he got into the car, trying not to flinch as he slammed the door.
“When you start dating, always make sure that the people you like can cook.”
Matty rolled his eyes.
“Why not just learn to cook myself?”
His dad laughed, and the car started moving.
They weren’t far down the road when the message came through.
“Fifth and Sally…” he whispered to himself.
“What was that?” his father asked, looking at him suspiciously.
Shit.
Matty inwardly kicked himself. He had to remember to keep his guard up. It wasn’t as if anything had changed, not really, but given what he’d managed to find out about his dad, he might put himself in a lot of danger, and the others too. Time to improvise.
“There’s this girl Sally from school, we’re… um… we’re pretty close…” he shifted a little in his seat, tried to suggest embarrassment in his body language.
“So what did she ask you for?”
“To meet her before school… She lives really close… I can walk from here, Dad.”
His dad grinned as he pulled over.
“You’re a chip off the old block, Junior. Being late to school because of a girl. Can she cook?”
Hopping out of the car, looking about for the right direction, Matty managed a “See you tonight, Dad” before he closed the door.
Then he was running down the street, as fast as he could.
The building site wasn’t too far.
He just hoped he’d be in time to help.
After the close-up action-packed panels of the Knight fighting thugs, this panel is on a new page, zoomed out so we can see Matty running through the neighborhood, past vacant lots, ramshackle houses with flowers blooming in the yard, past a bus stop with the “crowned U” tag that marks this as UEB Kings turf...

Then you turn the corner past a closed nail salon, and there’s the construction site. You hear the sounds of a scuffle inside, someone yells “Get him!”, and a big guy in a flappy duster and sunglasses is standing outside the building smoking when a gas can rolls up to where he’s standing. He swears and nearly drops his cigarette on it.

And, um, Blackout? You’re still dressed in your Matty clothes. You’re about as close as you can get without being seen right now.
 

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

William is now standing against the wall, holding his backpack at his waist in front of him. His eyes narrow slightly and he leans and peaks over at the sobbing student
Upon hearing Rook make a suggestion involving him, he nods and smiles. "Yes, she threatens to hit me less than most people in the school. Also, I've got a study hall 1st Period."

OOC: Do I roll assess situation to try to figure out whats going on with the kid?
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Measure and Rook

The nurse narrows her eyes at Rook pulling up her shirt, then winces at the bruising up and down her side and nods. "Fine, get yourself fixed up." She leads you over to her desk where she hurriedly fills out two excuse forms for the two of you. When you lean in to take them, she adds in a quiet serious voice, "You don't have to tell me who did that to you, but you better tell somebody. Your boyfriend's going to kill you one of these days." She looks over to Measure and narrows her eyes again, then shoos you both out.

You're both free to leave school. What do you do?

OOC: Measure, also see the post in the OOC thread.
 
Last edited:

Hyena_Creative

Constant Giggler
Validated User
Matty Morrican, "Blackout"

And, um, Blackout? You’re still dressed in your Matty clothes. You’re about as close as you can get without being seen right now.
OOC: Oh am I? Ye of little faith ;P. Please forgive the following showboating


Up until this point, the details of Matty's hoodie have never been clear in the panel. A black and white design, that's about it. When he gets close, when he sees he's going to go into action, he drops his bag into an alcove close by as he runs, and keeps going. The design on the side of the hoodie becomes clear: bones, half a skeleton. He throws the hood over his head, clasps the front, and his hand whips upward. The view follows his hand as he reaches for the man's cigarette. Matty's fingers grasp the end, and crush out the embers. As the man looks up, Blackout is revealed. His costume is a zip-up skeleton hoodie, complete with a skull that covers Matty's face.

There was a hiss as the man's cigarette was extinguished between Blackout's fingertips.
"Sorry," Matty said, "but you don't want this to be the way your smoking kills you."
The voice he used had more of a twang than his usual accent. A bit southern, a bit Canadian, still North American but definitely not from this city or even this state. It wasn't the best accent he could put on, by far, but it was one he could do consistently even when he was under stress. Thus, it had become the voice of Blackout.

OOC: I've just read back and realised that this guy is the leader, but I'm not 100% sure Matty would notice that before being a Saviour and extinguishing the cigarette. I mean, the guy WAS in immediate danger of being blown up. There are several ways this could go from here. Blackout reads body language very well, so he'll react depending on how this guy reacts.
 
Last edited:

Hyena_Creative

Constant Giggler
Validated User
OOC: As per in OOC Thread, I am rejigging somewhat. Matty does know that this guy is involved, but will still act as described. This is Provoke! He intends to get the guy's attention, have the guy advance on him and ignore the kerosene can and any other teen superheroes who may or may not be sneaking up behind him. Worst case scenario, Blackout can at least lead him away from his backup.

Anyways, Provoke Someone = 2d6 + Superior = 2d6 + 1 = 3 + 4 + 1 = 8!
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Measure

William is now standing against the wall, holding his backpack at his waist in front of him. His eyes narrow slightly and he leans and peaks over at the sobbing student
Upon hearing Rook make a suggestion involving him, he nods and smiles. "Yes, she threatens to hit me less than most people in the school. Also, I've got a study hall 1st Period."

OOC: Do I roll assess situation to try to figure out whats going on with the kid?
Measure
While the nurse is whispering something to Rook and giving you a hard stare, you have the time to lean back and unabashedly eavesdrop on the kid talking to the psychologist. He’s talking about how he was so excited about his new job, but then he started thinking of what his mother would say, and then he starts sobbing so you can’t understand what he’s saying. The counselor seems overwhelmed and is just making soothing noises, then, in a startled tone, “Did you say ‘arson?’”

Before you can hear more, the nurse is hustling you and Rook out of her office. You’re pretty sure he’s one of the UEB Kings who beat up Tommy a while back and you’ve fought him before. Tough kid named something like Rico? Marco?

OOC:

Here is the Unleash your Powers Move:

UNLEASH YOUR POWERS
When you unleash your powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses, roll + Freak. On a hit, you do it. On a 7-9, mark a condition or the GM will tell you how the effect is unstable or temporary.
 

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

OOC: Hmm... how would the effect be temporary?


William walks quickly next to Rook. "I'll lean on my parents more about getting a car. How quickly can you go on foot?"
 
Top Bottom