IC Masks: The Spiderweb

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, On the road again)

William walks quickly next to Rook. "I'll lean on my parents more about getting a car. How quickly can you go on foot?"
Still mentally amused by the idea that the nurse might think that she and William might be an item and that he might possibly be beating on her, Theresa turns to him with a lopsided grin still on her face and says, "Ehhh, fast enough, I expect. Are they really dumb enough to get into serious trouble without us?"

She turns and starts jogging to the address that Bolo gave them.
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
The Knight
"To fight for the right, without question or pause," he said, and then The Knight was on them like a thunderbolt. Was that really just a stick? For a moment, somehow, it gleamed like a sword... the one who'd spoken fell without another word; the others scattered in momentary confusion, and the foe was among them-- and the gas can was swept up from its stunned holder and tossed out along the sidewalk, far from the structure.

Now, of course, K was among them, and it could have been safer, but that wasn't the point. Bolo was there, and now had the opening he needed, and would be along shortly. K had faith.

It was, in its own way, K's defining trait.
The Knight

It was the dance, and the dance was always the same and always new, whether it was broadsword versus axe at the Battle of the Ice Bridge, or sword versus baseball bat in the chilly interior of a half-built restaurant. One of the thugs is down, another is looking confused and trying to find the gas can that had been in his hand only a moment ago, but the rest have turned to face you. They're getting in each other's way and the bats are clumsy weapons to use indoors so you're able to parry or dodge every blow, but you still end up getting body-checked hard into a wooden wall. There's a momentary pause as you take in that under the bandanas and hats, these guys are really young, like not much older than you, and they take in that there's only one of you.

And that's when Bolo hits them from behind, giving a war-cry that's just rendered as "$*%@!" in the speech balloon, knocking two of them sprawling and elbowing and back-fisting others so they flinch and run up the rickety stairs to the second floor of the building under construction. Bolo gives you a feral grin from under his colorful mask. "Nice one," he says.

The construction workers take the opportunity to get out of the building. One gives the Knight a thumbs-up as he hustles past. Meanwhile, the remaining thugs are regrouping at the top of the stairs and looking down at you and Bolo with anger. A couple of them seem to have found sledgehammers up there and are wielding those instead of baseball bats. You can tell they weren't expecting this much of a fight, but they're not giving up.
What do you do?

OOC:
On a 10+ result with Directly Engage, you get to pick two options, which you did, which also means they hit you back unless you choose the "avoid their blows" option. So take a Condition, your choice. On the other hand, you did create an opportunity for Bolo.
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Matty Morrican, "Blackout"

Up until this point, the details of Matty's hoodie have never been clear in the panel. A black and white design, that's about it. When he gets close, when he sees he's going to go into action, he drops his bag into an alcove close by as he runs, and keeps going. The design on the side of the hoodie becomes clear: bones, half a skeleton. He throws the hood over his head, clasps the front, and his hand whips upward. The view follows his hand as he reaches for the man's cigarette. Matty's fingers grasp the end, and crush out the embers. As the man looks up, Blackout is revealed. His costume is a zip-up skeleton hoodie, complete with a skull that covers Matty's face.

There was a hiss as the man's cigarette was extinguished between Blackout's fingertips.
"Sorry," Matty said, "but you don't want this to be the way your smoking kills you."
The voice he used had more of a twang than his usual accent. A bit southern, a bit Canadian, still North American but definitely not from this city or even this state. It wasn't the best accent he could put on, by far, but it was one he could do consistently even when he was under stress. Thus, it had become the voice of Blackout.

OOC: I've just read back and realised that this guy is the leader, but I'm not 100% sure Matty would notice that before being a Saviour and extinguishing the cigarette. I mean, the guy WAS in immediate danger of being blown up. There are several ways this could go from here. Blackout reads body language very well, so he'll react depending on how this guy reacts.

As per in OOC Thread, I am rejigging somewhat. Matty does know that this guy is involved, but will still act as described. This is Provoke! He intends to get the guy's attention, have the guy advance on him and ignore the kerosene can and any other teen superheroes who may or may not be sneaking up behind him. Worst case scenario, Blackout can at least lead him away from his backup.

Anyways, Provoke Someone = 2d6 + Superior = 2d6 + 1 = 3 + 4 + 1 = 8!
Blackout

The man looks up at you, flinches, and then walks up close to you trying to cover his initial surprise. "The Spider sent you to check up on me in the middle of a job? You know what, that is just disrespectful, man. I pay my dues, I do not complain when they tell me to supervise these idiot kids on this penny ante job that they are screwing up, I do not ask questions." By the end of this rant, he's practically shouting and waving his finger in your face. He's pretty big and pretty tough and you're realizing that he's not actually the leader of these local thugs, he's some kind of enforcer put in charge of them, and he's 100% focused on you right now.
What do you do?

OOC:
So the skeleton hoodie makes a big impression on this guy. When you Provoke Someone, on a 10+ they do what you want, on 7-9, they either stumble (+1 forward), err (give you an opportunity), or overreact (give you Influence). I'm going with overreact because that seems the most interesting. He sees the skeleton hoodie and the self-confident behavior and he thinks you're another enforcer type checking on his work. So you have +1 forward on any Move towards him plus you can cash in that Influence to give them a -2 on a roll, give them a Condition, or take an additional +1 on a Move.

Also, the mechanical aspect of him being an enforcer and not one of the thugs is that he gets his own Conditions track. Lovely!
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Measure

OOC: Hmm... how would the effect be temporary?


William walks quickly next to Rook. "I'll lean on my parents more about getting a car. How quickly can you go on foot?"
OOC:
You just got to hear that snippet of conversation before you leave the room, as opposed to planting a bug on him where you could conceivably continue to listen to him. You'd definitely recognize him if you see or hear him again, though.


Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, On the road again)
Still mentally amused by the idea that the nurse might think that she and William might be an item and that he might possibly be beating on her, Theresa turns to him with a lopsided grin still on her face and says, "Ehhh, fast enough, I expect. Are they really dumb enough to get into serious trouble without us?"

She turns and starts jogging to the address that Bolo gave them.
Rook
Rook, you actually feel surprisingly good after that near-meltdown outside the school, like a weight has been taken off your shoulders. Your side still hurts but it's not slowing you down any and you make good time. As you run past the Eisner Oasis, there's a bunch of CSI types gathered around something in the parking lot, but you can't get a good look at it and then you're past and cruising down the hill towards the river, past the nail salon to where you have a good look at the corner of Fifth and Sally.

Measure
Measure, you might not have recognized the street address, but when you get here, you immediately recognize the spot and a wave of nostalgia hits you. This is where your relative Mark used to have his restaurant until the random violence of the UEB and the Spiderweb washed him away. The place was boarded up for a while, then a burned out shell after some squatters set it on fire by accident, and now the circle's come all the way round and it's getting rebuilt as a "restaurant and mixed-use community", at least according to a sign from Doaks Realty.

You see Blackout mano-a-mano with a big guy in sunglasses and a duster outside the building, and shouts and thuds from inside the building suggest that some of your teammates made it in there, as well. What do you do?
OOC:
Measure, do you have any trouble keeping up with Rook, the world's fastest delinquent?
How do each of you handle the super suit issue?
 

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, Assessin')

Theresa puts a hand on William's shoulder as she scans the scene.

"Hold on, let's think this through," she says. "Combat inside, but Matty is engaged outside with some big dude. How do you want to handle this?"

OOC: Assessing the Situation:
Assess (+Superior): 2d6+2 7 - 1 question (+1 from Criminal Mind)
- How could we best end this quickly?
- What’s the best way in/way past (the thug outside with Matty)?


OOC: As for the supersuit, Rook does not have one, per her description. Just a leather jacket, her civvies, a bad attitude, and a worse mouth.
 
Last edited:

Hyena_Creative

Constant Giggler
Validated User
The man looks up at you, flinches, and then walks up close to you trying to cover his initial surprise. "The Spider sent you to check up on me in the middle of a job? You know what, that is just disrespectful, man. I pay my dues, I do not complain when they tell me to supervise these idiot kids on this penny ante job that they are screwing up, I do not ask questions." By the end of this rant, he's practically shouting and waving his finger in your face. He's pretty big and pretty tough and you're realizing that he's not actually the leader of these local thugs, he's some kind of enforcer put in charge of them, and he's 100% focused on you right now.
What do you do?
Blackout

Trying not to let the smile on his face reflect in his voice, Matty responded by raising his hands in a 'don't shoot' kind of gesture, stepping back just a little, trying to step into the role of the Spider's messenger boy.
"Hey man, you're telling me! Trust me, it sucks. I don't like doing this man. But honestly, if you were easier to contact, I wouldn't have been yelled at to get down here and send your ass straight to the boss, know what I'm saying? I mean, your phone number is..."
Matty produced his phone with a flourish, angling so that the guy couldn't see what he was actually doing. He wasn't pressing the Contacts icon, after all, but the little black cat icon. Blackout, the program and virus, came online and immediately started accessing all the surrounding networks and their attendant devices, propagating onto them. Another tap sent a set of randomised phone numbers that looked to most eyes like a list of previous calls onto the screen.
"... THIS one, right?" Matty pointed to a number called half an hour ago.
He held the phone close to the guy's face, hoping the guy didn't suddenly decide that now he wanted to start asking questions.

OOC: Trouble is, I think this could either be Changed Sides (the Scion move) or Unleashing my powers by using my eponymous computer program / app.
I'll roll as if it's Changed Sides, but let me know if it should be Unleash.
So, Changed Sides = 2d6 + Danger + 1 from Influence = 2d6 + 1 + 1 = 6 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 12!!!!!
YES!
Alright, 10+ means he buys the charade (for now), and I choose two from the options, so I choose:
  • You avoid having to provide concrete evidence, and;
  • You create an opportunity.
The opportunity I'm looking for is to find out how The Spider (or the Spiderweb) contacts him, or his phone number (so I can prank him with a virus later) or even just time for the Blackout Program to get onto his phone.
After that, I'm hoping I can send him on his merry way, and we can deal with the Kings.
 
Last edited:

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Measure

OOC:
You just got to hear that snippet of conversation before you leave the room, as opposed to planting a bug on him where you could conceivably continue to listen to him. You'd definitely recognize him if you see or hear him again, though.
OOC: That's fine. I'll accept this as temporary



Still mentally amused by the idea that the nurse might think that she and William might be an item and that he might possibly be beating on her, Theresa turns to him with a lopsided grin still on her face and says, "Ehhh, fast enough, I expect. Are they really dumb enough to get into serious trouble without us?"

She turns and starts jogging to the address that Bolo gave them.
William once again takes a moment to try to think of a retort that does not speak ill of his teammates before seeing Rook run off.
With a grimmace, he follows.

She's faster than him, there's no way around it. He does his best to keep up, and he takes some short cuts to gain on her, but there's no way he's going to keep up with her. He knows how this works, so he pushes himself enough to not miss out, but avoids utter exhaustion.

Running also gives him a chance to try out his Fast Costume for the first time. In one alley, he produces a rolled up jumpsuit from his bag that is sewn to look like dress slacks, shirt, and vest. After hopping into that, he pulls out a disk that pops into being a top hat, and a separate mask that fits snugly on while he runs. He then pulls out a telescoping cane from his bag as he hops over a car. Finally, he pulls a cord and a cape billows out of his bookbag. It's not his finest costume, but it's what he can bring to school in a pinch. William is now Measure, and the clothes really do make the man.


Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, Assessin')

Theresa grabs William's shoulder as she scans the scene.

"Hold on, let's think this through," she says. "Combat inside, but Matty is engaged outside with some big dude. How do you want to handle this?"

Measure looks around at the situation with a final adjustment of his mask. "Perhaps I shall help Blackout and you charge into the unknown situation within the building?"
It would be unfair to say Measure has a British accent, but he does sound like he's from an old money Connecticut family now.
 

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Knight

The construction workers take the opportunity to get out of the building. One gives the Knight a thumbs-up as he hustles past. Meanwhile, the remaining thugs are regrouping at the top of the stairs and looking down at you and Bolo with anger. A couple of them seem to have found sledgehammers up there and are wielding those instead of baseball bats. You can tell they weren't expecting this much of a fight, but they're not giving up.
What do you do?

OOC:
On a 10+ result with Directly Engage, you get to pick two options, which you did, which also means they hit you back unless you choose the "avoid their blows" option. So take a Condition, your choice. On the other hand, you did create an opportunity for Bolo.
OOC: Yep, a deliberate choice there. I'll mark Angry, which seems to fit The Bull well.


"...And yet you stay and fight?" said The Knight. "Fools. Fools to take this job, fools to not run. Well-met, Bolo. Let us remind them of where they are, and who they face!"

And without hesitation, he was on them again.

OOC: Directly Engage is the flavor-of-the-month! 2d6+2: 5 [2d6=1, 2]
Hm. Might need a couple of Team with that... Anybody?
 

Hyena_Creative

Constant Giggler
Validated User
OOC: Directly Engage is the flavor-of-the-month! 2d6+2: 5 [2d6=1, 2]
Hm. Might need a couple of Team with that... Anybody?
OOC: Would the fact that their handler is just ignoring their plight be enough to shake any of them? I'd be happy to give you a Team based off that...
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Theresa "Rook" Russo (Delinquent, Assessin')

Theresa puts a hand on William's shoulder as she scans the scene.

"Hold on, let's think this through," she says. "Combat inside, but Matty is engaged outside with some big dude. How do you want to handle this?"

OOC: Assessing the Situation:
Assess (+Superior): 2d6+2 7 - 1 question (+1 from Criminal Mind)
- How could we best end this quickly?
- What’s the best way in/way past (the thug outside with Matty)?
Team = 3

Rook

As you study the situation, you see that it's really two conflicts in one: there's some kind of mayhem going on inside and you can hear the Knight buckling swashes in there, and then there's this brouhaha between Blackout and the big guy which so far is purely verbal. So helping the Knight take care of business inside would be the quickest way to end the fighting. But since the big guy is standing right by the entrance, you'd either have to breeze right past him or go 'round the back. Fortunately, it doesn't look like they'd gotten round to putting in windows yet so you'll have no trouble finding an entrance.

Measure
Measure looks around at the situation with a final adjustment of his mask. "Perhaps I shall help Blackout and you charge into the unknown situation within the building?"
It would be unfair to say Measure has a British accent, but he does sound like he's from an old money Connecticut family now.
Just as you finish speaking, Measure, there's a terrific noise from inside, like things are building to some kind of dramatic showdown.
 
Top Bottom