• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mass Effect, a rant.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I downloaded Mass Effect a few days ago on the Steam sale, as I've never played it before. I've jsut done a bit of the introduction mission, and arrrrggggggg! I was expecting something like Knights of the Old Republic or other Bioware games, with a nice easy introduction and a good tutorial that would explain everything. Instead, I've died several times and the gameplay is incredibly and deeply frustrating.

I picked a jedi-type character, but don't seem to have any cool powers. The game keeps shouting at me for using unskilled weapons when I press the wrong buttons, but how do I know what weapons I can use? Is all of the game combat going to be fiddly shooty stuff, or is there a way to make it more like other Bioware games (or ever something more like Deus Ex, which at least doesn't feel like uncontrolled panic and chaos, with a character who can aim and shit)? Is there a way to pause combat, so that I can select weapons and work out what the hell is going on? Where's the tutorial that I've so clearly missed?

If anyone can point out what the hell I'm doing wrong, that'd be great, but in the meantime, I'm going back to Batman: Arkham Asylum, which has done an amazing job of teaching me the controls and has a nice difficultly curve, as opposed to the difficulty precipice that ME has. I'm very glad that I got this for cheap on sale and didn't waste my money on the second game as well :(.

WightMutt

The Doge One
Validated User
I downloaded Mass Effect a few days ago on the Steam sale, as I've never played it before. I've jsut done a bit of the introduction mission, and arrrrggggggg! I was expecting something like Knights of the Old Republic or other Bioware games, with a nice easy introduction and a good tutorial that would explain everything. Instead, I've died several times and the gameplay is incredibly and deeply frustrating.

I picked a jedi-type character, but don't seem to have any cool powers. The game keeps shouting at me for using unskilled weapons when I press the wrong buttons, but how do I know what weapons I can use? Is all of the game combat going to be fiddly shooty stuff, or is there a way to make it more like other Bioware games (or ever something more like Deus Ex, which at least doesn't feel like uncontrolled panic and chaos, with a character who can aim and shit)? Is there a way to pause combat, so that I can select weapons and work out what the hell is going on? Where's the tutorial that I've so clearly missed?

If anyone can point out what the hell I'm doing wrong, that'd be great, but in the meantime, I'm going back to Batman: Arkham Asylum, which has done an amazing job of teaching me the controls and has a nice difficultly curve, as opposed to the difficulty precipice that ME has. I'm very glad that I got this for cheap on sale and didn't waste my money on the second game as well :(.
Hmm I don't remeber it being that bad at all..... Did you read the manual? I seem to remeber that tells you which weapons each char type is proficent with

Peers

Order of Cleansing Flame
Validated User
Do Steam games not come with manuals?

God help you when you get to the Mako if you haven't read the manual. Took me three missions befor erealizing the damn thing had a gun!

CyberGeek

The Threadkiller
Validated User

1) What class did you pick? "Jedi type" sounds biotic-y, but clarification would be really helpful.

2) Spacebar (if I'm remembering right), when held, pauses combat, allows you to adjust your aim, etc.)

3) Set the difficulty to 'easy'. No, seriously - get the hang of how it works, THEN try the harder difficulties.

Madcat

motorbikin'
Validated User
Honest, I turned the combat down to Easy.

I'm not bad at shooters, but Mass Effect's hybrid combat just didn't click at all.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I guess the Steam version has a manual - but I can't remember the last time I read the manual for a game. I wonder why Bioware decided to skip the in game tutorials they've used in everything from Baldur's Gate onwards?

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
1) What class did you pick? "Jedi type" sounds biotic-y, but clarification would be really helpful.
Biotic was certainly mentioned - I think it was the hybrid class that sounded like it would offer magical powers and neat smashy-face stuff. Vanguard perhaps?

2) Spacebar (if I'm remembering right), when held, pauses combat, allows you to adjust your aim, etc.)
Thankyou! I had tried pressing space to bring up a odd screeen of apparently meaningless options (oooh, pictures of 4 types of guns with no explanatory text!), but I didn't realise I could aim there.

3) Set the difficulty to 'easy'. No, seriously - get the hang of how it works, THEN try the harder difficulties.
Yeah, I'll do that - I just don't expect to get owned on the normal difficulty version at the start quite this thorougly...

Alik

not a thief
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Check your character's skills- They'll tell you what you're good at. Like Deus Ex, your accuracy is tied to your skill level as well as where your mouse cursor is. (ME2 did away with this)

Sundancer

Validated User
Though you can call up tutorials in-game.

Escape - > Codex -> Secondary -> Player Tutorials.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
I guess the Steam version has a manual - but I can't remember the last time I read the manual for a game. I wonder why Bioware decided to skip the in game tutorials they've used in everything from Baldur's Gate onwards?
The opening mission IS the tutorial.

Top Bottom