• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mass Effect in Strange FATE, how would you handle the mechanics?

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
So, this idea's been sitting in my skull as of late, what with having recently played ME3. It makes me want to do something in that universe. Now, the system I've been grappling onto lately for a lot of stuff is, as the title might make obvious, Strange FATE/Kerberos Club.

Now, for the most part, a lot of fiddly details can just be handwaved, like individual gun qualities, or handled through other means, like a sniper taking extra gifts on his shooty skill, whether it be a common or unique one. Races, as well, are likely to just be an Aspect or two with appropriate skills taken.

The real problem is figuring out stuff like Tech and Biotics, the area where most people stumble in their setting adaptations. I'd like these to feel unique, but am not sure where to go towards. Some immediate thoughts:

-Handle both of them as Strange Skills. It'd be simple, of course, but somehow it feels a little...Off. Like, it could work for one, but not both, you know? Would be a little too samey.

-Mount one of them to the system's existing magic system, with some minor tweaks. I suppose that COULD work, but I'm not sure how it would feel in play. Anyone messed with that thought?

-Hack an entirely different subsystem out of another FATE variant. That could certainly do the job, but I have no idea which would work.

My other thought is the space side of things. How would you handle ship to ship combat? Would you just hack the existing vehicle rules a bit? But then that also leads to the dilemma that there doesn't seem to be a dedicated vehicle creation system, though of course I may have missed something. Or would you rather jack a dedicated setup from one of the sci-fi FATE variants? But if so, which one? Or would you even have space combat normally, given that the actual videogames are so much more boots-on-ground focused?

That's everything that's coming to my mind. So, given all of that, what do you guys think would be the best way to handle it? Thanks in advance!

HumAnnoyd

Validated User
I have often thought of using Strange FATE for the tech and biotics and Bulldogs! and/or Diaspora for the space combat and aliens. Bulldogs! has a good system for creating alien races and its star ship stuff seems good. But Diaspora has some great platoon combat rules and its cluster creation system is tailor made for ME. Also, there is the exceptional hack for Diaspora into ME.

thadrine

Pooped today
Validated User
Step 1
Players say what they want there tech/biotic power to do
Step 2
Purchase power most like that
Step 3
Give it a cool name

Don't make a list, don't try to prep those sorts of things. Just go with what you want, when you want it, and them use the most appropriate mechanic you can find to use it.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I'm already scrapping any thought of having a list of Incinerate, Overload, Sabotage, et al. for the power sets. :p Mostly I just want there to be some kind of different feel between a biotic, a gearhead, or someone who just shoots real good, and I'm trying to figure out how to best make that reality.

thadrine

Pooped today
Validated User
I'm already scrapping any thought of having a list of Incinerate, Overload, Sabotage, et al. for the power sets. :p Mostly I just want there to be some kind of different feel between a biotic, a gearhead, or someone who just shoots real good, and I'm trying to figure out how to best make that reality.
That is best going to represented by flavor and description.

The Unshaven

Validated User
If you wanted to screw around with something a little crunchier for combat, I'd add an extra Stress Track for Shields.

Once the shield Stress track is wrecked, you roll into physical stress.

This could be boring. BUT! The advantage is that it'd mean Tech powers and power tiers can do things like erasing the shield-stress boxes while dealing damage, and present the possibilities of enemies with Major Shields but little health, versus little shields and big health.

Alternatively, since I've not sold myself on this being an interesting dynamic, make Shields themselves a Strange Skill, and have the Tech and Biotic Strange Skills interact with it differently.

- The Unshaven

Groat

Alt-Wrong
Validated User
Track down fellow rpg.netter Reaganstorme's (sp?) Diaspora to Mass Effect hack. I haven't played Mass Effect and I'm not terribly experienced with Diaspora but it seems a sweet piece to me. I can't say how it would help you specifically but it is an in-depth work in the field so it's probably worth a look.

Reaganstorme

Licenced in Electrickery
I have often thought of using Strange FATE for the tech and biotics and Bulldogs! and/or Diaspora for the space combat and aliens. Bulldogs! has a good system for creating alien races and its star ship stuff seems good. But Diaspora has some great platoon combat rules and its cluster creation system is tailor made for ME. Also, there is the exceptional hack for Diaspora into ME.
Track down fellow rpg.netter Reaganstorme's (sp?) Diaspora to Mass Effect hack. I haven't played Mass Effect and I'm not terribly experienced with Diaspora but it seems a sweet piece to me. I can't say how it would help you specifically but it is an in-depth work in the field so it's probably worth a look.
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. Works really well in game, and we had a lot of fun with it. Download links are in my sig.

Also, if you decide that Diaspora isn't the right version of Fate, as I mentioned to Kiero in this thread before he decided eventually on nWOD for Mass Effect, a lot of what is in the files can be stripmined for raw flavour over the rules quite easily.

But it is a starting point, and that may make your job a bit easier.

:)

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
That conversion is dense with fascinating stuff, Reagan. I am impressed. Far too crunchy for my liking, but it is very impressive regardless.

I need to look at Bulldogs! to see how it handles ship stuff, or see if anyone else has made a light, abbreviated rig for such things without too many fiddly bits. On the tech/biotic front, I suspect that simply holding to the idea that Biotics are just warping mass, plus a few particular Gifts/Drawbacks for both sides, will help a lot.

The Unshaven

Validated User
On the tech/biotic front, I suspect that simply holding to the idea that Biotics are just warping mass, plus a few particular Gifts/Drawbacks for both sides, will help a lot.
Something that has occurred to me is that if you make Shields a Strange Skill all of their own, it opens the door for characters who can do unusual things with their shields or ability over same. That could be Very Interesting, at least for me:

The party gets confronted by something vastly bigger than they expect, like one of those humungofuckoffginormous Geth Tanks, to which one of the characters says "...Use me as cover."
"What?! Can you survive if it lands the hit?"
"That's not the question. The question is how fast you horrible lot can take it down while I'm holding it back."

Power Tiers and Blocks to incoming damage... interacting with other people's shields... All sortsa fun possibilities.

- The Unshaven

Last edited:
Top Bottom