• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mass Effecting the Thousand Suns

DigitalRaven

Social Justice Pontiff
Validated User
Normally when the subject of a game to play Mass Effect comes up, I'd be one of the two people recommending Trinity. However, I've recently decided to work with the newer, sexier edition of James Maliszewski’s Thousand Suns. And y'know, it works pretty damn well.

The house rules sheet

Character creation example

I should point out that I'm not personally much of a gearhead—I'd rather characters start with equipment that makes sense. Hence the reduction in Assets and issuing starting equipment and a starship.

So yeah. Kick the tyres, let me know if you find any bugs. When Thousand Suns: Technology comes out I'll see about statting up some more of the guns. When I'm not supposed to be writing something for money, I'll stat up various starships and related vehicles, if anyone's interested.

Silverlion

Banned
I think the armor limitations is a bit of a cheat. As the assumption is that most species can't swap armors. Just humans and Asari. I'd probably make it "Limited to Light" or "Can't Wear Heavy Class" armors. Still there are situations--there is a hole in the hull! That might make it serious and impacting to the game play.

What is different between Thousand Suns 1E and the new one?

DigitalRaven

Social Justice Pontiff
Validated User
I think the armor limitations is a bit of a cheat. As the assumption is that most species can't swap armors. Just humans and Asari. I'd probably make it "Limited to Light" or "Can't Wear Heavy Class" armors. Still there are situations--there is a hole in the hull! That might make it serious and impacting to the game play.
I was going by the way that most vendors in ME1 carry human-standard armor (which we know Asari can wear, and from the look of it Drell as well), but other species only have armor available at some vendors, which speaks to the rarity/increased prices issue that Armor Restriction implies. Shifting to light/medium/heavy restrictions seems like something that should be done based on career or skill given the options we see--Garrus wears all three throughout the trilogy (he's in heavy Turian through ME2), as can some humans, while others only ever wear light because that's all they've got the skills for. Slightly annoyingly for my purposes, ME2 does away with all of that. Again, with the tech book I'm hoping to detail some varied kinds of light/medium/heavy armor, rather than having one suit of each kind, but that needs time.

What is different between Thousand Suns 1E and the new one?
The new edition is 95% compatible with the old ones (benefit points changed to be more generous, specialties changed, I don't think too much else, more chapter breakdowns) but Adam Jury did the design and layout so it's several orders of magnitude easier to read and retain information from 2E than it was in 1E.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
The new edition is 95% compatible with the old ones (benefit points changed to be more generous, specialties changed, I don't think too much else, more chapter breakdowns) but Adam Jury did the design and layout so it's several orders of magnitude easier to read and retain information from 2E than it was in 1E.
Resolve was taken out in favor of a much easier to use social combat system.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
Why does the base chargen only give you enough points to make someone who is average in everything (given 5-6 is "average" if you put 6 in everything you're average)? Shouldn't it be more like 32-35 points?

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
Characters in Thousand Suns also get additional build points depending on their species. For example, humans get an additional 10 that can be applied to skills on a one-for-one basis or to attributes on a two-for-one basis. Everyone I know applies those points to their attributes. It's also fairly common as I understand it for folks to house rule the actual total to suit their tastes. (I usually do 33 myself).

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
Characters in Thousand Suns also get additional build points depending on their species. For example, humans get an additional 10 that can be applied to skills on a one-for-one basis or to attributes on a two-for-one basis. Everyone I know applies those points to their attributes. It's also fairly common as I understand it for folks to house rule the actual total to suit their tastes. (I usually do 33 myself).
33 sounds more like it to me as a base number; as far as I'm concerned PCs shouldn't merely be average, but able to be average in everything as well as better than that in a focused area or two.

Top Bottom