• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Massive Video Card Upgrade]So.... What'd I miss?

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Okay, so thanks to the fact that I actually have had a somewhat decent job for the past few months, I've finally ripped out my old GTX 260 in favor of a GTX 1060. There are a couple of games I've managed to play on someone else's computer (Dark Souls 2, most importantly.), and Ys VIII and Battletech are already on the to-do list.

So, gimme everything you got! Not interested in FPS's, but most other things are fair game- I have a good processor and plenty of regular RAM, so I'm probably good for whatever you have in mind.

Fedifensor

Validated User
Well, no FPS games removes a few recommendations*, but there are some left I can recommend.

You already mentioned Battletech - it’s a lot of fun.

If you like Baldur’s Gate / Bard’s Tale style games - Divinity 2

If you like the JRPG style - Battle Chasers

If you like the DontNod games like Life Is Strange - Vampyr comes out in less than 2 weeks. If you don’t know about Life Is Strange, that’s also worth a look.

* My FPS recommendations would include Fallout 4 and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Spent a lot of time playing both.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Ok, so Overwatch is actually a FPS, but it has a huge roster of characters who work very differently, it's interesting, and it's currently doing a Free Weekend for its anniversary, you may want to try it out.

Prisoneroffantasy

Enjoying my fishbowl view
Validated User
Mad Max-- Open world, 3rd person action game, with badass vehicle combat.
Rise of the Tomb Raider-- Everything good about the 2013 reboot, with less misogynistic story, and actual tomb raiding on the menu.
Dishonored 2-- Slightly less satisfying story than the first one but with gameplay actually improved(!). I was not troubled by technical problems, others were not so lucky.

Some might classify the next two as FPS's, but I definitely do not.

Prey(immersive sim genre)-- Brilliant environment to navigate and explore, in the best tradition of "play it your way" games.
Alien: Isolation(survival horror)-- Although shooting things isn't a big part of the game, you will be sweating bullets constantly.

Last edited:

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
Okay, so thanks to the fact that I actually have had a somewhat decent job for the past few months, I've finally ripped out my old GTX 260 in favor of a GTX 1060. There are a couple of games I've managed to play on someone else's computer (Dark Souls 2, most importantly.), and Ys VIII and Battletech are already on the to-do list.

So, gimme everything you got! Not interested in FPS's, but most other things are fair game- I have a good processor and plenty of regular RAM, so I'm probably good for whatever you have in mind.
Ys VIII's PC Port is still shaky - Crashes regularly for a bunch of people (including myself). Be a little cautious.

Hrm. Not sure what else you had to play games on, so some of these are also console derived.

Nier: Automata - Very good 3rd person action game. Has a bunch of chapters, which it calls endings for various reasons. One of the best written and executed stories in a long time.
Battle Chasers: Nightwar - Turn Based JRPG combat married to a less traditional exploration system that works surprisingly well.
Hollow Knight - Take 2 parts Metroidvania, 1 part Dark Souls, 1/2 part Super Meat Boy, and dress it all up in a almost-cute hand drawn insect aesthetic.
Salt and Sanctuary - Like the above, except instead of beauty, amp up the blood, decay, and madness.
The Banner Saga 1 and 2- Not likely to stretch your video card, but a gorgeous hand-animated game where the tactical layer is small grid turn based combat, and the strategic layer involves leading multiple trains of refugees on long journeys as Ragnarock kicks off.

Nightward

IntranationalManOfMisery
Banned
Validated User
I can heartily recommend The Witcher 3: Wild hunt.

Fallout 4 was middling but with mods you could alter it to suit.

Deus Ex: Fanbase Divided was IMO fairly good but its performance is also going to depend on you having an SSD to get over the atrocious load times.

Top Bottom