• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

maybe obvious - the original Matrix is a trans coming out story

Bootleg Girl

RPGnet Member
Banned
I may be the last person to notice this, because I've always focused so much on the Matrix as virtual reality themes that I didn't notice stuff related to personal identity. But seriously! Watch Neo's relationship with authority figures. The drudgery of going to work as someone he's not, only being able to be himself online, and when he finally assumes a new "full time" identity, authority figures constantly refer to him by his legal name, which they say binds him and is his fate.

Nine Quiet Lessons

Witch of Krassovar
Validated User
I never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense. Now I really do wonder if it was intentional, or if it was the result of subconscious struggles on the part of one of the authors.

Bootleg Girl

RPGnet Member
Banned
Possibly intentional, one of the creators is trans herself although I don't know if she'd transitioned then
Yeah, which is why I'm pretty sure I'm not stretching. I mean, "Mister Anderson..."/"My name... Is Neo" takes on a totally new connotation if you're transitioning or know someone who is. As does the office stuff at the start.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It a bit more obvious.
IIRC Switch was suppose to be male in the "real World" and female in the Matrix, but that was scrapped due to executive meddling.

Law Orc

Concerned Citizen
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hmm.

I can see it, but I'd probably write it off as coincidence if I didn't know about Lana Wachowski.

Still, there's probably something there.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So... does that mean I'm allowed to metaphorically kung-fu kick anybody who doesn't respect my identity through walls?

Chaotic Confused

Validated User
It's got applicability for just about any identity issue or massive worldview shift, but Lana Wachowski based it on her experiences specifically, yes. Makes the MRA/Conspiracy theorist use of 'red pill' rather ironic.

Top Bottom