• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MCU] Rewatching & Ranking The Infinity Saga

petros

Validated User
I'm starting the re-watch on Thursday - I'll get a chance to see Captain Marvel tomorrow.

Iron-Man 3 is all over the place in these rankings. I'd say it's in my top ten. What is it that's so particular about it?

Xander

Validated User
I'm in the middle of the road, I think. It's a pretty good poll. :)

• Avengers: Infinity War
  • The Avengers
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • Captain Marvel
  • Ant-Man
  • Black Panther
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Doctor Strange
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Iron Man 2
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Thor
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • The Incredible Hulk

Desert_Ranger

I die free
Validated User
I'm starting the re-watch on Thursday - I'll get a chance to see Captain Marvel tomorrow.

Iron-Man 3 is all over the place in these rankings. I'd say it's in my top ten. What is it that's so particular about it?
The iron man sequels in general seem to get pretty beat up on. I don’t entirely know why. I liked iron man 3 personally, but it gets pushed down in my rankings because I’m unlikely to want to watch it again unless I’m in a very specific mood. But it is a good movie.

Of course, I put the GOTG movies at the bottom of my list, so what do I know?

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
The iron man sequels in general seem to get pretty beat up on. I don’t entirely know why. I liked iron man 3 personally, but it gets pushed down in my rankings because I’m unlikely to want to watch it again unless I’m in a very specific mood. But it is a good movie.
The Iron Man sequels have a lot going on in them. The original Iron Man really only has an A-plot. Iron Man 2 has the A-plot with Whiplash and Justin Hammer, but the Justin Hammer plot also includes the creation of War Machine. And the actual B-plot is that Tony is being poisoned by the arc reactor and has to invent a new element, which also involves resolving the complicated relationship he had with his dad.

Iron Man 3 is also pretty complex, but has the advantage of being a Shane Black film, so it feels a bit less overstuffed because he's able to make even the weird digressions, like Tony hanging out with a kid in Tennessee (or was it Kentucky?), something you'd like to spend more time with if it wasn't stopping you from getting to the robot fights.

randlathor66

Validated User
Not having read the whole thread, I don't know if anyone else has brought this up: there is a fundamental flaw with the way this "poll" has been done. It asks which of these would you like to watch now (basically). That is not going to give you an accurate list of you favorites because it doesn't take into account the facts of how many times you have already and how recently you have seen some of the movies. That skews the results. But, anyway, here is my list from that site, kind of close, but not quite my own favorite ranking:
  1. Captain Marvel
  2. The Avengers
  3. Captain America: The First Avenger
  4. Thor: Ragnarok
  5. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  6. Ant-Man
  7. Avengers: Infinity War
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy
  9. Black Panther
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  11. Thor: The Dark World
  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. Thor
  15. Doctor Strange
  16. The Incredible Hulk
  17. Iron Man
  18. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  19. Captain America: Civil War
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. Iron Man 3

Ravenfeeder

It's True. All of it.
Validated User
Used the tool with results below. Dr Strange ended up much higher than it should be and Iron Man somewhat lower, but it's a reasonable indication.
  1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Captain America: The First Avenger
  3. The Avengers
  4. Thor: Ragnarok
  5. Avengers: Infinity War
  6. Captain Marvel
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy
  8. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  9. Black Panther
  10. Doctor Strange
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  14. Iron Man
  15. Captain America: Civil War
  16. The Incredible Hulk
  17. Iron Man 3
  18. Thor
  19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. Thor: The Dark World

Matchstick

Validated User
Not having read the whole thread, I don't know if anyone else has brought this up: there is a fundamental flaw with the way this "poll" has been done. It asks which of these would you like to watch now (basically).
I just thought about which film I like more overall between the two and picked that one.

Desert_Ranger

I die free
Validated User
The Iron Man sequels have a lot going on in them. The original Iron Man really only has an A-plot. Iron Man 2 has the A-plot with Whiplash and Justin Hammer, but the Justin Hammer plot also includes the creation of War Machine. And the actual B-plot is that Tony is being poisoned by the arc reactor and has to invent a new element, which also involves resolving the complicated relationship he had with his dad.

Iron Man 3 is also pretty complex, but has the advantage of being a Shane Black film, so it feels a bit less overstuffed because he's able to make even the weird digressions, like Tony hanging out with a kid in Tennessee (or was it Kentucky?), something you'd like to spend more time with if it wasn't stopping you from getting to the robot fights.
Huh. I see what you’re saying, but I guess I never felt like they were too overstuffed. Well, maybe IM3 a little bit.

If anything, I feel like IM3’s weakness might be that it feels kind of disconnected from the “Infinity Saga” writ large. Granted, Endgame isn’t out yet, but I feel like you could skip IM3 and follow Infinity War just fine. IM3 feels like it takes place in a weird corner of the universe. At least, to my memory.

Overall though, I remember the movie fondly, and think it gets more scorn that it deserves

petros

Validated User

Of course, I put the GOTG movies at the bottom of my list, so what do I know?

I just love the way they all come back to 'I am Iron-Man'. First one is easy - he's Iron-Man because he can build and operate the Iron-Man suit. Second one is more subtle - he's Iron-Man because he understands everything that goes into the suit, everyone else is missing some piece of that puzzle. Third one is blunt - he's Iron-Man without the suit, without the company, even without the mechanical heart.

You know what - Civil War did this too, it's about how being Iron-Man isn't all that great, not when you buy into the hype. I don't have a good argument beyond that for now. But I'm going to think of one. It might be Iron-Man 4 as well as Captain America 3.

And I'd normally rank Iron-Man 2 way down the list, maybe the lowest of all the films. It's just an essential part of that Iron-Man sandwich.

randlathor66

Validated User
I just thought about which film I like more overall between the two and picked that one.
I went with the question, which is why Captain America: The Avengers isn't listed as No. 1 on that list, but it is on mine; just like Captain America: The First Avenger is No. 2 on my personal list (No. 1 for origin story-movies), but No. 3 on that list. For my No. 3 I have tied Captain Marvel and Thor: Ragnarok - in that order, so CM is 3a and T:R is 3b. Certainly the reason CM is No. 1 on this list is because I want to go see it again, not because it is my favorite Marvel movie.

Top Bottom