• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MCU] Rewatching & Ranking The Infinity Saga

Quendalon

shit just got cute
Validated User
I think the poll gave me a decent approximation, though asking what I'd want to watch right now has skewed the results away from which movies I think are best. Like, I'd rate Iron Man higher if the quiz was about quality, but I've watched it too many times and I'm not really in the mood to watch it again anytime soon.
  1. Captain America: Civil War
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  4. Captain Marvel
  5. Black Panther
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. Thor: Ragnarok
  8. Ant-Man
  9. Doctor Strange
  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  12. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  13. Avengers: Infinity War
  14. Iron Man 3
  15. The Avengers
  16. Thor
  17. Iron Man
  18. Iron Man 2
  19. Thor: The Dark World
  20. The Incredible Hulk
  21. Avengers: Age of Ultron

RedShark92

Validated User
I treated the list as simply which one I liked better. I'd tweak this but it's pretty close. I notice I seem to be a rare low-rater of Homecoming. Most of these I've seen multiple times. I could see Captain Marvel moving up or down a few places once I see it again.

Captain America: Civil War
The Avengers
Avengers: Infinity War
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Ant-Man
The Incredible Hulk
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World

Phonzy

not arguing that with you
Validated User
I think the fact that they phrased it as "which would you rather watch right now" made me extremely kind to Iron Man 2 and a bit harsh to Infinity War:
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Black Panther
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. The Avengers
9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. Ant-Man
11. Captain America: The First Avenger
12. Iron Man 2
13. Iron Man
14. Doctor Strange
15. Iron Man 3
16. Captain Marvel
17. Thor: The Dark World
18. Thor
19. The Incredible Hulk
20. Avengers: Infinity War
21. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm starting the re-watch on Thursday - I'll get a chance to see Captain Marvel tomorrow.

Iron-Man 3 is all over the place in these rankings. I'd say it's in my top ten. What is it that's so particular about it?
Some comics fans were pissed about the Mandarin. Others were pissed that there were action scenes where Tony is not in the suit. There were still other complaints that the remote-controlled suits were too disposable. Aside from all of that, I think as has been said upthread that it doesn’t really tie into the larger “saga” and so feels inconsequential, despite (IMO) being a really fun, well-done movie.

Phonzy

not arguing that with you
Validated User
Some comics fans were pissed about the Mandarin. Others were pissed that there were action scenes where Tony is not in the suit. There were still other complaints that the remote-controlled suits were too disposable. Aside from all of that, I think as has been said upthread that it doesn’t really tie into the larger “saga” and so feels inconsequential, despite (IMO) being a really fun, well-done movie.
You left out "permanently ties up the Tony's arc reactor plot thread in all of about 10 seconds of screen time devoted to it".

Solarn

Validated User
Here are my results:
  1. Black Panther
  2. Thor: Ragnarok
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Captain Marvel
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Captain America: The First Avenger
  7. Thor
  8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  10. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Iron Man
  13. The Avengers
  14. Doctor Strange
  15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  16. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  17. Iron Man 2
  18. Avengers: Infinity War
  19. Iron Man 3
  20. Thor: The Dark World
  21. The Incredible Hulk
I mostly answered according to what I would like to watch literally right now, so it skews towards fun/actiony movies (plus Black Panther) at the top of the scale.

The bottom three are the only ones I'd consider actually kinda bad, and they're still watchable (well, maybe The Incredible Hulk is, I haven't seen it in a very long time). The next three are ones I think have significant problems with the cinematography or pacing but are otherwise cool, the next two are ones I just can't really enjoy for some reason I'm not even sure about, and from then on it's purely "how much I would like to watch this really good movie right now".

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
  • The Avengers
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Iron Man
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Captain Marvel
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor
  • Iron Man 2
  • Black Panther
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Looks solid. Black Panther could perhaps be a little higher. Hulk and Dark World are so-so, concerning Guardians of the Galaxy - I just don't care for the characters (but the actors are doing a great job) and Ragnarok proved to me that Waititi should never be allowed to play with other people's toys. He would probably be a great director for a MCU spinoff like NextWave (yeah, that's going to happen) or as one of the earliest directors in a cinematic universe.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
You left out "permanently ties up the Tony's arc reactor plot thread in all of about 10 seconds of screen time devoted to it".
To be fair, the arc reactor plot was resolved in Iron Man 2, after Tony synthesized a new element that would make the arc reactor completely safe. In Iron Man 3, he just decided at the end to get it completely removed since he'd worked through the psychological need for it.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
To be fair, the arc reactor plot was resolved in Iron Man 2, after Tony synthesized a new element that would make the arc reactor completely safe. In Iron Man 3, he just decided at the end to get it completely removed since he'd worked through the psychological need for it.
Actually found a way to remove and not die.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Actually found a way to remove and not die.
Yeah, but he didn't discover that in the movie, so my assumption is that there wasn't some new surgical technique. He could have had it removed earlier and not died, but he didn't because he felt like he needed it to be Iron Man.

Top Bottom