[MCU] Rewatching & Ranking The Infinity Saga

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, but he didn't discover that in the movie, so my assumption is that there wasn't some new surgical technique
He did discover it in the movie.
He used the Extermis virus (after he firgured ot how to turn it off to save Pepper) to keep himself alive during the surgery.

petros

Validated User
It's just that the next Avengers film undoes all this hard earned Iron-Man development.

He gives SHIELD his tech for the events of Winter Soldier, after he's decided that only he can be trusted with it. He starts making that suit of armor for the whole world behind everyone's back, after he's decided it's not his responsibility alone. He installs a heart of nanomachines so his armor is always part of him again, after he's already successfully taken the arc reactor out.

Is this realistic to the issues of someone like Stark? Yeah, actually, maybe it is. But all we get to show it as a problem is Pepper bringing it up and Stark deflecting it, moments before two wizards and a rage monster show up to recruit him for the big show, seeming to imply that it's not a problem.

Titans had a good exchange about this -

Robin - 'How did you quit?'

Donna Troy - 'I didn't quit, I stopped'.

It still felt like Stark was trying and failing to quit something.

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
I used the ranker twice now. Each time I clicked something and instantly regretted it, and at least once misclicked each time.

It's also real hard to compare some of the movies. Winter Soldier and Homecoming are clearly my favorites, but they're so different, how do you choose between them. Likewise, Infinity War is so BIG it almost seems not to count. I bought the bluray as soon at it came out, but still haven't rewatched it.

Did I really like Age of Ultron more than Incredible Hulk? I don't know.

Maybe I should do it every day for a month and see what's stable and what's not.

MCU Films - Result
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Captain America: Civil War
Iron Man 3
The Avengers
Iron Man
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain Marvel
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor: The Dark World

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So my results:
  1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. The Avengers
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Thor
  6. Iron Man
  7. Captain America: The First Avenger
  8. Ant-Man
  9. Captain Marvel
  10. Doctor Strange
  11. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  12. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  13. Black Panther
  14. Iron Man 3
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  16. Thor: The Dark World
  17. Iron Man 2
  18. The Incredible Hulk
  19. Guardians of the Galaxy
  20. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  21. Thor: Ragnarok

Seems about.
Through BP probably should be roughly in the same place as Ant-ma, Capt. Marvel; and Strange and SM:Homecoming.
Thsoe are rougthly interchangeable.
And IM2 probably should be a bit higher.

And GotG vo.2 shodlk be on the list since I haven;t seen it, but I could not skip it.

DaveB

No regrets
Validated User
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Captain Marvel
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Ant-Man
  • Black Panther
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Iron Man 3
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Doctor Strange
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • The Avengers
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Iron Man
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor
Yeah, that seems about right. I prefer my Marvel films funny without being farce (Ragnarok went too far for my taste: I like your Ant-Man films, Spiderman, or Captain Marvel levels of comedy beats) But I do like the two modern-day Cap films for their complexity.

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Black Panther
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Iron Man 3
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Captain Marvel
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • The Avengers
  • Ant-Man
  • Doctor Strange
  • Iron Man
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Thor
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Iron Man 2
  • The Incredible Hulk

Looks about right. A lot of the MCU films are either overstuffed- Ultron, Iron Man 2, the Dark World- or have weak third acts - Iron Man, First Avenger. It also took the studio a long time to hit its stride and find some genuinely compelling villains.
Better than to have them become the focus of the movie, to be sure, but you had a lot of films like Iron Man and Doctor Strange where excellent actors had to make up for in screen presence what the script and direction didn't deliver. A lot of the time they failed.

Also, I'd like more Taika Waititi doing stuff please.

Phonzy

not arguing that with you
Validated User
It's just that the next Avengers film undoes all this hard earned Iron-Man development.

He gives SHIELD his tech for the events of Winter Soldier, after he's decided that only he can be trusted with it. He starts making that suit of armor for the whole world behind everyone's back, after he's decided it's not his responsibility alone. He installs a heart of nanomachines so his armor is always part of him again, after he's already successfully taken the arc reactor out.

Is this realistic to the issues of someone like Stark? Yeah, actually, maybe it is. But all we get to show it as a problem is Pepper bringing it up and Stark deflecting it, moments before two wizards and a rage monster show up to recruit him for the big show, seeming to imply that it's not a problem.

Titans had a good exchange about this -

Robin - 'How did you quit?'

Donna Troy - 'I didn't quit, I stopped'.

It still felt like Stark was trying and failing to quit something.
He just blows up all those suits from the House Party Protocol (those that survived the fight, anyway), then turns around and creates the Iron Legion... mind you, these are all also failings on the part of Age of Ultron (though paling in comparison to Joss Whedon having no better idea for how to use Black Widow than that "sun is going down" bullshit).

petros

Validated User
He just blows up all those suits from the House Party Protocol (those that survived the fight, anyway), then turns around and creates the Iron Legion... mind you, these are all also failings on the part of Age of Ultron (though paling in comparison to Joss Whedon having no better idea for how to use Black Widow than that "sun is going down" bullshit).
>I'm always picking up after you boys

.... how did that get past the first draft?

And after we got some awesome character development earlier in the film, when she's hidden the gun under the bar while flirting with Banner. Even though it's a victory party for the end of a war she's ready for anything!

Bobaloo

New World Man
Validated User
(I took the quiz as well, and it was close to this, with a couple major deviations to keep an eye on.)
Finished Civil War last night, and I had it severely under-rated. I think it will be re-slotted into my top five, which means the online selector identified a blind spot of mine correctly compared to the list I was keeping. (Manually at 11; Selector had it at 5)

Grumpygoat

Validated User
My guess with Captain Marvel turned out to be mostly right - after seeing it last night, I immediately ranked it at number 5. Still below the greatest Marvel movies of Homecoming, Iron Man, Avengers, and Winter Soldier, but outclassing everything else.

Top Bottom